Notifications
Clear all

How to know if accutane is working ?

MemberMember
(@domi81)

Posted : 11/26/2016 12:37 pm

Hello. I am in my 30's and have been on birth control for most of my life. I never had acne before other than a pimple here and there. last year I decided to stop taking birth control because I wanted to start a family and two months after stopping the pill I got acne. Not regular acne but big nasty red cystic acne all over my face. Well I freaked out and went back to birth control. After a month my face was clear again. This year I stopped the pill again and the same thing happened  I went to the dermatology and he put me on doxy.  It worked for a month but after that my face was breaking out again. The doctor recommended absorica and I have been taking it now for 10 days I started on 20mg and so far no side effects other than dry lips. My face is clear again after 10 days so my main concern is , is my face clearing up because of the birth control or because of the accutane?  I am super worried that as soon as I stop the treatment and stop taking birth control the acne will be back. 
Any advice? :(

MemberMember
(@vulneraryrain)

Posted : 11/26/2016 6:07 pm

Only way to know for sure is to stop takinh the birth control and see if you flare up. I dont think it takes just 10 days to be clear unless the combination of the two ismakinh that happen. I suggest you just take accutane because your worried about the birth control. You might have intial breakouts maybe because you might be lucky. Accutane should take away acne so if you do have acne again just push through till you finish your accutane period. Good luck

Domi81 liked
MemberMember
(@domi81)

Posted : 11/26/2016 6:42 pm

That's the thing. Every time I take birth control my skin clears up within a week. I know this because I have been here before but if I ever want to start a family at one point I would have to stop the birth control and that's when the acne strikes. With accutane , I need to take birth control. Maybe I could find other was to make sure the medication is working ? Like dropping the birth control and see if my face breaks out. I had pimples for the first 3 days of the treatment now my face is completely clear. My acne was not severe but it was cystic and was growing out of control.

MemberMember
(@jcd97b)

Posted : 11/26/2016 8:32 pm

7 hours ago, Domi81 said:

Hello. I am in my 30's and have been on birth control for most of my life. I never had acne before other than a pimple here and there. last year I decided to stop taking birth control because I wanted to start a family and two months after stopping the pill I got acne. Not regular acne but big nasty red cystic acne all over my face. Well I freaked out and went back to birth control. After a month my face was clear again. This year I stopped the pill again and the same thing happened  I went to the dermatology and he put me on doxy.  It worked for a month but after that my face was breaking out again. The doctor recommended absorica and I have been taking it now for 10 days I started on 20mg and so far no side effects other than dry lips. My face is clear again after 10 days so my main concern is , is my face clearing up because of the birth control or because of the accutane?  I am super worried that as soon as I stop the treatment and stop taking birth control the acne will be back. 

It's definently the birth control, Accutane usually take months to clear your skin and it's always little by little, but it has the best long term results out of any other acne medication out there. 

MemberMember
(@vulneraryrain)

Posted : 11/26/2016 8:38 pm

I suggest holding off on having a family for right now. Only take accutane when you reach your dose and doctor gets you off it. If it was your birth control than expect breakout,but it will get better with accutane! Just be persistant and follow through. What im worried about is when your pregnant your hormones are out of whack I hear some people get clear during pregnancy and some who get acne. Good luck

Domi81 liked
MemberMember
(@domi81)

Posted : 11/27/2016 12:17 am

Yes. I am Not having a family in the next 6 months. I am hoping the doctor will increase my dose of accutane. The side effects so far are pretty mild and to be honest I just want to make sure my acne goes away for good. I am planning on taking accutane for 6 months. 

3 hours ago, JCD97b said:
11 hours ago, Domi81 said:

It's definently the birth control, Accutane usually take months to clear your skin and it's always little by little, but it has the best long term results out of any other acne medication out there. 

Yeah I am sure is the birth control too. I just want to make sure the accutane is working and I am not planning on stopping it at all. 10 days down 5 months and 20 days to go. My face is still oily and that's it.  The only side effect is dry lips 

MemberMember
(@vulneraryrain)

Posted : 11/27/2016 1:35 am

Remeber to stay hydrated alot around 6-8 bottles or water eat vegetables that are hydrating like tomatoes. Although kale taste horrendous eat a green smoothie everyday great for your health.