Notifications
Clear all

What face wash shall I use?

MemberMember
(@sarahenglishrose)

Posted : 11/06/2016 5:20 pm

Hello, 

I am looking for a good face wash to help calm my skin down a bit as it has been breaking out more than usual as of late. 

My skin is oily/acne prone and sensitive so face washes I have used in the past have irritated the heck out of my skin, hence making it worse ugh :(

i I have read that SLS is bad for your skin and have realised that the face wash I am using at the moment has that in it! I've been using the body shop aleo calming foaming face wash (I have also read that foaming face washes are bad for your skin also argh!) 

my Mum suggested using a cleansing milk but I have read online that this is bad for acne prone skin as it will clog pores etc. But she said it is good for calming skin down ... 

I I have my moisturiser sorted (I spell it like that because I am from England before anybody asks haha!) just need to find a nice face wash that won't irritate my skin and/or make my acne worse...

please help i need need something that will work! 

Also ive been looking at this face wash by simple but am not sure about the ingridients if somebody could shed some light on then then please feel free! :) 

oh and just bare in mind when recommending produce I can only get ones that are available in the UK not the US! 

I would be really appreciative of any help given! 

Thanks in advance and sorry for any spellings/grammatical errors I wrote this in a rush! 

Sarah :) 

here is is the face wash 

Aqua, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyl, Methylcellulose, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Hydroxide, Pantolactone, Citric Acid. Simple Skincare contains no animal derived ingredients
Read more at http://www.boots.com/en/Simple-Kind-To-Skin-Refreshing-Facial-Wash-Gel-150ml_699/#pGtwQGPfa7uEddyW.99

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/07/2016 3:15 pm

Sodium chloride is quite drying, citric acid will irritate your skin if you're really sensitive. I don't know about the other ingredients, but yes, I can see that this might irritate you and make your skin patchy. SLS/SLES is also awful and can cause acne, it leaves a slippery film on your skint that suffocates your pores. Avoid Cerave/Cetaphil too, it's thick and heavy and also clogs your pores.

I'm going through the same dilemma, my forehead has been so irritated since switching cleansers a few weeks ago. I was using Neutrogena's oil-free SA cleanser, and my forehead was basically clear but my whole face and mainly my cheeks looked red, irritated and rashy; I suspected either a sensitivity to SA or citric acid. Now I tried Dove soap and another cleanser and all those did was break me out on my forehead and all over.

Can you just try washing it with water for a few days and not wearing makeup? I would see what happens. Maybe give the experiment a try on the weekend.

MemberMember
(@lenka22)

Posted : 11/07/2016 5:26 pm

I have a very sensitive skin and swear by Effaclar- La Roche Posay. Maybe give it a go, or ask for a sample in pharmacy and see how it works

MemberMember
(@sarahenglishrose)

Posted : 11/07/2016 5:38 pm

Thank you both for your suggestions. I don't know about the face washes you've used as I have used such things as clean and clear before and that irritated and burned my skin as did dove. I see you had problems with that too... 

My skin was clear after having spots (acne) for a while throughout my teen years; it was clear for about two years and then I changed some medication I'm on and I think it messed with the balance of things and now I'm just trying to get it back to normal. 

As for makeup I use a BB cream as I don't like how foundations feel on my skin with it being oily and all. I use one that is non comidegenic (don't know if I spelt that right sorry!) and also use a primer that helps with my oily skin. 

Have you you any ideas about cleansing milks? As I can see that they are good for sensitive skin and I've dried mine out a bit as of late :( so yeah don't know if they would help at all? Just don't wanna clog my pores.

i only wear my makeup when I'm at work or going out if not I don't wear any all day, I like to let it breath. Nothing seems to be working at the moment. 

I've heard of sulfate free face washes but don't know which ones are available in the UK. 

Having acne sucks :( 

MemberMember
(@alex9945)
MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 11/07/2016 8:03 pm

Have you tried using raw honey? I use this in the morning and at night I use the Exposed skincare face wash

MemberMember
(@sarahenglishrose)

Posted : 11/08/2016 7:32 am

11 hours ago, Exning said:

Have you tried using raw honey? I use this in the morning and at night I use the Exposed skincare face wash

No I haven't actually, by raw honey do you just mean the runny kind without sounding stupid? Also do you just use it on its own? :)

13 hours ago, Alex9945 said:

I don't know if I can get that here? 

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 11/08/2016 11:15 am

3 hours ago, SarahEnglishRose said:
No I haven't actually, by raw honey do you just mean the runny kind without sounding stupid? Also do you just use it on its own? :) I don't know if I can get that here? 

Find one that says "organic raw honey" or manuka honey 15+ if you want to get fancy. Manuka helps treat serious infections in some countries. And yes, just by itself. I normally dont wet my face before so it is easier for it to cling on to my skin :) if you dont have a health food store (but vons/safeway/walmart should at least carry raw honey) you can always order online

MemberMember
(@sarahenglishrose)

Posted : 11/08/2016 12:15 pm

59 minutes ago, Exning said:
Find one that says "organic raw honey" or manuka honey 15+ if you want to get fancy. Manuka helps treat serious infections in some countries. And yes, just by itself. I normally dont wet my face before so it is easier for it to cling on to my skin :) if you dont have a health food store (but vons/safeway/walmart should at least carry raw honey) you can always order online

Okay thank you! Your help is appreciated :) although we don't have Walmart here haha, but I'm sure I can find some in similar places :)

MemberMember
(@alex9945)

Posted : 11/08/2016 4:53 pm

9 hours ago, SarahEnglishRose said:
No I haven't actually, by raw honey do you just mean the runny kind without sounding stupid? Also do you just use it on its own? :) I don't know if I can get that here? 

Ebay or Amazon :) 

I would not use honey, it can dry out the face. 

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/08/2016 9:09 pm

I forgot to mention I DID find a wash today that may work. It's called Simple foaming cleanser. Apparently it does not have any dyes, fragrance, irritants or fatty alcohols. It's very light and has no chemical scent whatsoever either, which is great. I'm trying it out on a few areas of my face and I'll report back to you. But, it didn't leave the patch tests tight or dry which is awesome.

Also, I would avoid slathering any 'natural' things on like oils and honey because it all made me break out horribly. Your skin's pH is very delicate and oil/yogurt/honey cleansing can be a disaster for sensitive types. Just my 2 cents.

MemberMember
(@sarahenglishrose)

Posted : 11/09/2016 9:05 am

11 hours ago, cloudydreamer said:

I forgot to mention I DID find a wash today that may work. It's called Simple foaming cleanser. Apparently it does not have any dyes, fragrance, irritants or fatty alcohols. It's very light and has no chemical scent whatsoever either, which is great. I'm trying it out on a few areas of my face and I'll report back to you. But, it didn't leave the patch tests tight or dry which is awesome. 

Also, I would avoid slathering any 'natural' things on like oils and honey because it all made me break out horribly. Your skin's pH is very delicate and oil/yogurt/honey cleansing can be a disaster for sensitive types. Just my 2 cents.  

That face wash sounds just the ticket do you have a link too it at all? :) Thank you for replying and letting me know by the way, I really appreciate it :) 

Don't worry I haven't tried the honey thing yet haha! I was thinking about it though but perhaps after hearing what a few of you have said against it, I won't. 

lemme know how it all goes :) 

16 hours ago, Alex9945 said:
Ebay or Amazon :) 

I would not use honey, it can dry out the face. 

Okay thank you! Much appreciated :)

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/09/2016 3:55 pm

6 hours ago, SarahEnglishRose said:
That face wash sounds just the ticket do you have a link too it at all? :) Thank you for replying and letting me know by the way, I really appreciate it :) 

Don't worry I haven't tried the honey thing yet haha! I was thinking about it though but perhaps after hearing what a few of you have said against it, I won't. 

lemme know how it all goes :) 
  Okay thank you! Much appreciated :)

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/simple/_/Simple-Skincare-Foaming-Cleanser
No worries. Any time. 

MemberMember
(@sarahenglishrose)

Posted : 11/09/2016 5:45 pm

1 hour ago, cloudydreamer said:

Cheers again.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 11/25/2016 9:44 am

I have similar issues. Last year I had used a milk cleanser for a few months and gotten away from it because it was expensive...But most cleansers are just way too harsh! I am gradually phasing it back into my routine because my skin was so much calmer, healthier and just prettier when I was using it and my oil production went way down because it wasn't stripping the hell out of it. It's Phytomer Accept Neutrolizing Cleanser...For anyone that has sensitive skin, it's at least worth a test run.

MemberMember
(@sarahenglishrose)

Posted : 11/27/2016 3:48 pm

On 25 November 2016 at 2:44 PM, TheBean said:

I have similar issues.  Last year I had used a milk cleanser for a few months and gotten away from it because it was expensive...But most cleansers are just way too harsh! I am gradually phasing it back into my routine because my skin was so much calmer, healthier and just prettier when I was using it and my oil production went way down because it wasn't stripping the hell out of it. It's Phytomer Accept Neutrolizing Cleanser...For anyone that has sensitive skin,  it's at least worth a test run. 

I've found that the cleanser has calmed my skin down quite a lot, because as you say it doesn't strip my skin of it natural oils which then makes it produce more oil and it's a vicious cycle... 

I'm using a Nivea one for sensitive skin :)