IPL expectations

MemberMember
(@simonyu123)

Posted : 11/06/2016 1:51 am

Hey guys, I tried IPL foracne scars over my entire face at one of those salon places. I wore the eye goggles and closed my eyes, but I experienced intense bright flashes whenever the technician pulsed the device on my face. Naturally I was worried I was being blinded, but the person said it was natural and not to worried. My eyes feel a bit tired and I could be over-thinking things. But are the intense lights something to be expected during this procedure despite protection.
Thanks again. Just super worried.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 11/07/2016 2:20 pm

you will be fine. i've probably had 50 ipls' in my lifetime with no eye issues at all and you had on goggles so you will be fine.

MemberMember
(@rubyk)

Posted : 04/18/2017 8:01 pm

Hi Tracy,
I am scheduled for an IPL next week to remove my post acne red marks. From what I understand, I should be expecting 'coffee grounds' flakes after the treatment. Is this a sure thing or sometimes you won't even flake? From your experience how long does it take for the coffee grounds to go away? And from each treatment, how much improvement would you say you had?
I am feeling nervous from reading bad reviews. I am going to a trusted dermatologist and praying the treatment will go well!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 04/28/2017 2:31 pm

you only get the coffee ground look on the brown spots. they take about 3-5 days to go away. they will just flake off while washing or drying your face. when your red marks are zapped they will get redder for about an hour after the procedure then gradually get lighter. you should see results after the first treatment unless they are very conservative then it might take 2 treatments but i would say no more than 3 treatments should be needed to get rid of the red marks. for myself if the marks are new usually 1 treatment does the trick. dont worry it should all go fine its really a very easy treatment and is very quick. i need to go get another one myself for the brown spots that i have i get them from the sun even though i wear spf 50. i hate that! good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@rubyk)

Posted : 05/01/2017 12:01 am

Thanks Tracy for your reply!

It's been a week since I had the IPL. My red marks did get redder for an hour after the treatment as you mentioned. Overall it has been a pleasant experience with no swelling/ sunburn/ blistering etc.

I do not have any coffee ground look or flaking although some of the marks are a tinge darker. So far there's no significant difference in the marks but I notice my pores are smallerand the skin texture seem to have improved.

My derm says I should see results after 2 weeks. I am counting my days, hoping to have similar results as you!!

On 29/04/2017 at 3:31 AM, tracy521 said:

you only get the coffee ground look on the brown spots. they take about 3-5 days to go away. they will just flake off while washing or drying your face. when your red marks are zapped they will get redder for about an hour after the procedure then gradually get lighter. you should see results after the first treatment unless they are very conservative then it might take 2 treatments but i would say no more than 3 treatments should be needed to get rid of the red marks. for myself if the marks are new usually 1 treatment does the trick. dont worry it should all go fine its really a very easy treatment and is very quick. i need to go get another one myself for the brown spots that i have i get them from the sun even though i wear spf 50. i hate that! good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 05/02/2017 12:57 pm

glad your treatment went well. the results you have will all depend onthe setting your derm used on you. if you dont see much results this time around then have them adjust the setting for the next time. usually for somebody that never had ipl they are very conservative at first then gradually increase the setting until they know what your skin can handle. for me they know they can do a high setting so they do that every single time which is why i have really good results with it. i think its good to take things slow for now. good luck to you!