Notifications
Clear all

First Week Accutane, Problems Already

MemberMember
(@mooseman)

Posted : 11/03/2016 10:46 pm

I have battled mild to moderate acne for over 10 years now, and after running out of options (tired epiduo, antibiotics,silicic acid, extreme diet changes: no refined carbs, caffeine, dairy, sugar, and fried foods) my dermatologist decided to put me on 80mg of accutane a day. The first day I took it my stomach bloated upfor a few hours and i had extreme gas. The next day the same thing happened. After 3 days I had mild heartburn and an uncomfortable feeling in my colon (lower left side of the abdomen). I decided to take a break for a day. On the 5th day I took only half my dose (40mg) and felt much better. The bloating is gone, however I still get an uncomfortable feeling in my colon, as if there was a giant air bubble in there that couldn't get out. When ever i take the acetone, I also get varying stool consistency (from solid to soft and frail, but never diarrhea). Im about to call it quits and call my dermatologist tomorrow. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms before?

MemberMember
(@kathi)

Posted : 11/04/2016 11:03 am

80mg a day is a really big dose, especially for mild to moderate acne. You should definitely call your dermatologist, he/she will probably lower your dose :)

MemberMember
(@mooseman)

Posted : 11/04/2016 11:19 am

Called him today and he told me to take 40mg a day for the next week and see how i feel, which I feel like might make the problem worse.

MemberMember
(@kathi)

Posted : 11/04/2016 11:24 am

Why is that?
I'm also struggling with mild to moderate acne and my derm prescribed me only 10mg a day

MemberMember
(@lisa80)

Posted : 11/04/2016 12:54 pm

Accutane is prescribed based on your weight.I initially started on 40mg and although it made me tired and skin dry plus cracked lips ect i was fine.Last time i went she upped my dose to 75mg and i felt so ill. Back ,neck and body so stiff and ached all over.Really heavy drowsy feeling all the time as well as constipation and blood when passing stools.Barely managed a week on 75mg and i had to contact my dermatologist to ask her if i would be ok to reduce dose back to 40mg which is alot more manageable.I already suffer with irritable bowels syndrome anyway which is a side effect which can occur from taking this medication. I think you have to ask yourself if its really worth all the side effects.For me personally i am 36 years old and have suffered with acne all my life so this is a last resort for me as i have tried everything else possible available on prescription via my doctor. My advice is to stick with the 40mg and see how you get on ,when you go back to see your dermatologist if that dose isnt working for you they could always lower it ,it will just mean you may have to take a longer course of treatment.

MemberMember
(@scarletbegonias)

Posted : 11/04/2016 3:55 pm

I agree with the others who commented here. I started on 40mg for the first 3 months of treatment which seems pretty standard from what I've read then it was increased to 60mg the last 2 months. I weigh about 115lbs at 5'4. Even if you are built larger than me, I think starting at 80mg is too intense, especially for moderate acne (which is what mine was categorized as too.) Depending on your insurance, I would possibly get a second opinion from another dermatologist. The dosage and length of time on Accutane is what makes it successful or not so having a doctor get the dosage right is crucial.

MemberMember
(@mooseman)

Posted : 11/04/2016 7:34 pm

I took a half does of accutane for 3 days (40mg) and the side effects weren't as bad but still felt mild pain in my colon. The pain progressed every day so i stopped. This is my second day NOT taking any accutane and i still have the same mild pain . Im going to wait a bit longer. I feel if i take it now, the pain will only get worst. Maybe i should ask for 20mg insted?

MemberMember
(@kathi)

Posted : 11/05/2016 4:38 am

I agree, you should definitely ask for a second opinion from another dermatologist. Accutane isn't a game and can give you some long term side effects.

My dermatologist told me the maximum I'll ever get is 20mg, and I am 172cm/63kg!

You should put your health on the first place.

MemberMember
(@mooseman)

Posted : 11/05/2016 11:11 am

Update: Woke up today with discomfort in my colon and signs of constipation.

MemberMember
(@zuzuk)

Posted : 11/05/2016 11:33 am

I was using 65 mg because I was 65 kg. doctor told me that each mg for each kg thats why my mg was high too. this medicine is so difficult to use but worth it.