Notifications
Clear all

Switching birth control: Diane 35 to Orthotricycline lo while on Spironolactone

MemberMember
(@jesselizabee)

Posted : 10/24/2016 3:42 pm

Hello everyone! So basically as the title implies, I am starting my journey of switching birth control pills while using spironolactone. This will be a skin diary that I will update as much as I can/ when Ihave any noticeable changes or preferably, no changes to my skin.

About me: I had mild-moderate acne when I was 14 after starting my period. I had a very long and heavy period to the point it was affecting my quality of life, so my doctor started me on Alesse, a low dosage birth control pill. after a year or so, I figured I was "cured" of my irregular periods (stupid girl) and I quit Alesse cold turkey. This caused my skin to breakout in painful clusters of cysts and pimples on my jaw, forehead, and pretty much everywhere else. Since, I have had a constant battle with hormonal acne, and have tried everything from antibiotics, to Accutane and different birth control pills in between.

Current situation: I am now 22 going on 23 and I have decided to switch from taking a high dosage BC pill (Diane 35 generic) to a low dose one. (Othotricyclinelo) while on 100mg of Spironolactone. I'm hoping the Spiro will continue to balance my hormones enough to keep my skin moderately clear through this change. I have found this information and process to almost be unheard of or at least undocumented online, so I hope this helps some of you who are thinking of doing the same. Feel free to ask any questions, as I simply could not fit every detail into this post without boring you.

MemberMember
(@sunshine17)

Posted : 06/17/2018 5:15 am

Hi Jesselizabee,
i'm about to start the same journey as you did 2 years ago and am really curious to hear how it went for you. I too have noticed very little info on line about what to expect from the switch from Diane (Dianette) to spironolactone and another birth control pill. I've been on Diane for many years and am switching to Femodene and spironolactone 25mg. Did you find it crossed over nicely so you didn't have acne while you transitioned? If so how long before it settled? Any side effects from the spironolactone? Thank you so much in advance.
Sasha