Notifications
Clear all

I want to use Glycolic acid but I also use 2 topicals?

MemberMember
(@melmmg)

Posted : 10/16/2016 12:45 pm

I use Aczone (dapsone gel)  in the morning and Ziana (clindamycine + tretinion ) at night. How do I use Glycolic acid and how often with combination of my topical routine? I have some acne flaring up since I am weaning off with Oracea 40 mg because I have been on the antibiotic (Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg) treatment since August 2015. I told my derma , I think its time to get off it because antibiotic for even a short period can do a lot of damage healthwise. So since weaning off my acne is sorta flaring up but hopefully my topicals will take care of it. So now new acne = new hyperpigmentation which are like red/purple . I have been thinking about getting Mario Badescu AHA cleanser or should I get Acne.org AHA brand? I'm kinda scared to get the acne.org aha product cause I think you have to leave it on ? I'm just really scared and I don't want to burn my face off.  Help please! 

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 10/22/2016 8:17 pm

Yea don't go and do that please..because you probably will burn your face off..
if I destroyed my face by only using tazorac twice then imagine what will happen to you if you use a chemical peel while on tretinoin and all that other stuff..go look at my post about it..if you like the look of my skin in the after pics..then by all means..go do it..but I'm sure you will regret

hope i caught you in time and you still haven't done it

MemberMember
(@melmmg)

Posted : 10/23/2016 11:31 pm

On 10/22/2016 at 9:17 PM, BrokenPorEcelain said:

Yea don't go and do that please..because you probably will burn your face off..
if I destroyed my face by only using tazorac twice then imagine what will happen to you if you use a chemical peel while on tretinoin and all that other stuff..go look at my post about it..if you like the look of my skin in the after pics..then by all means..go do it..but I'm sure you will regret 

hope i caught you in time and you still haven't done it

So I read your post and honestly it was a lot to process lol but I'm sorry all that is happening to you and your dermatologists suck if that first guy dermatologist talked to me that way. I'm pretty sure I would have yelled at his stupid ass for saying some condescending shit like that given he's supposed to give you hope not completely squash any damn hope. Would have marched out that appointment and wouldn't have paid shit lol. But anyways Idk I  currently have 2 raised whiteheads pretty huge and I feel another little bump coming on its way hopefully it doesn't raise up. tbh Idk what type of acne I have but idk I just seen people on here who use BP which is strong as hell and use glycolic acid with the acne.org regime and they aren't having super major problems. So I'm just sort of desperate because I'm pretty sure I'm relapsing on my doxycycline treatment that took place in August 2015 and tbh all these months and especially the initial purging cause of the antibiotic that literally had me in tears and depressed because I was just trying to be so strong that I was really just barely keeping it together. Now, I feel like I'm getting big ass acne again is really disheartening given how long I HAVE put up with the treatment only to go back to bad skin just has me numb right now to be honest. Like I'm super bummed but I'm laughing at myself too because I feel like its a cruel ass fucking joke given how long it took me to see improvements only for it to come to shit AGAIN. So idk what to do. It's like are you fucking kidding me? FUCK MY LIFE 

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 10/24/2016 7:44 am

Mario Badescu would be a good option for you because their AHAs are typically VERY mild. They usually only have a little bit in their products whereas the acne.org one is much stronger by comparison. So, if you are looking for something mild to start with I would recommend them. I haven't used the cleanser but I have used the AHA & Ceramide Moisturizer. It's pretty good! Since they are so mild, I think you would have better luck using one of their leave on products. The cleanser might not be effective for you. It sounds like you've been using those topicals for awhile and that your skin is used to them, so adding in something like this should be okay. Just start slow.

Melmmg liked
MemberMember
(@melmmg)

Posted : 10/24/2016 11:48 am

4 hours ago, kelbell812 said:

Mario Badescu would be a good option for you because their AHAs are typically VERY mild. They usually only have a little bit in their products whereas the acne.org one is much stronger by comparison. So, if you are looking for something mild to start with I would recommend them. I haven't used the cleanser but I have used the AHA & Ceramide Moisturizer. It's pretty good! Since they are so mild, I think you would have better luck using one of their leave on products. The cleanser might not be effective for you. It sounds like you've been using those topicals for awhile and that your skin is used to them, so adding in something like this should be okay. Just start slow.

Well I actually been using aczone for a while now ever since August 2015 but the Ziana I start June 19, 2016 but to be honest I had to stop it for like 2 weeks sometimes so its been off and on. But I have noticed its working on my texture and its lightening up some marks. I don't know if I need to wait a little more or if I need something that will help fight acne a little more. Since I am weaning of the doxycycline (antibiotic) which I have been on since August 2015 and started weaning of by taking Oracea 40 mg (which is my treatment to wean off) I have since been breaking out more getting like some under the skin acne but they come in spots like I had two but they dried up to medium sized pustules. So thats why maybe AHA could help with the marks and I have read comments on how the acne.org AHA has helped some people with their acne since it unclogs their pores (which I think I desperately need) . I'm just scared of using a leave on AHA cause I'm guessing your supposed to put it on top of whatever topical I am using. I just don't want to flame my face lol Thinking of getting an AHA and masking & toning with Sea salt & aloe vera worth a shot I guess. What I have noticed on the Mario Badescu products I don't see a percentage of the AHA in it ? maybe it has like 5% .

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 10/24/2016 2:44 pm

Yeah, AHA products that don't list a % usually have around 5-8% in them. An AHA will help with the marks; they are better for clearing away dead skin and helping with post-acne damage like red marks and a rough/uneven skin tone. A BHA will be better for unclogging pores and helping with blackheads, whitehead & acne because BHAs can cut through oil. I personally always apply my topicals last, after moisturizing. I know a lot of people do the reverse, but my skin just gets too irritated and dried out if I do that.

MemberMember
(@melmmg)

Posted : 10/25/2016 10:41 am

19 hours ago, kelbell812 said:

Yeah, AHA products that don't list a % usually have around 5-8% in them. An AHA will help with the marks; they are better for clearing away dead skin and helping with post-acne damage like red marks and a rough/uneven skin tone. A BHA will be better for unclogging pores and helping with blackheads, whitehead & acne because BHAs can cut through oil. I personally always apply my topicals last, after moisturizing. I know a lot of people do the reverse, but my skin just gets too irritated and dried out if I do that. 

Yeah I moisturize first then apply whatever I need. Do you know a good BHA ? I just thought an AHA is just stronger and better to be honest I don't know now what to use lol Like I get pustules that are the width of a mechanical pencil eraser (thats the best thing I could come up with to explain the size) or maybe just a little bit smaller but they get inflamed and pointy for a good while and they look like a mountain on my face for a period of time till all the white crap comes to surface and turns into a angry looking pustule. At most I get like 3 sometimes, hopefully my acne doesn't completely go crazy on me but Idk its a waiting game since I have been weaning off the antibiotic since June 7, 2016. Hopefully this is the worst  and it doesn't even go crazy all over my cheeks cause thats my problem area. Just wanted to give you some insight of how my acne is and I guess determine if a BHA or AHA would be more effective for me.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 10/25/2016 12:26 pm

1 hour ago, Melmmg said:
Yeah I moisturize first then apply whatever I need. Do you know a good BHA ? I just thought an AHA is just stronger and better to be honest I don't know now what to use lol Like I get pustules that are the width of a mechanical pencil eraser (thats the best thing I could come up with to explain the size) or maybe just a little bit smaller but they get inflamed and pointy for a good while and they look like a mountain on my face for a period of time till all the white crap comes to surface and turns into a angry looking pustule. At most I get like 3 sometimes, hopefully my acne doesn't completely go crazy on me but Idk its a waiting game since I have been weaning off the antibiotic since June 7, 2016. Hopefully this is the worst  and it doesn't even go crazy all over my cheeks cause thats my problem area. Just wanted to give you some insight of how my acne is and I guess determine if a BHA or AHA would be more effective for me.

One is not stronger than the other - they just have different properties and do different things. Salycilic Acid is the only BHA that exists right now and 2% in the typical strength. BHAs are better for oily, acne prone skin which is why it's commonly seen in skincare products targeted towards acne.  AHAs are better for drier skin and focus more on improving skin texture & fading dark marks. Overall, you would probably benefit somewhat from either since you've got a combination of different things going on; but, either way just be cautious because adding in a chemical exfoliant while using other topicals could cause irritation and dryness.

MemberMember
(@gentlesoul)

Posted : 10/25/2016 1:52 pm

I thought I'd chime in here, after reading through this thread. Dan's aha is effective at keeping my skin exfoliated. But I can't use that on top of even a 2.5% bp, let alone the bp and any moisturizer. It's too strong. I use bp alone at night. I like to keep things simple. It's just too much for my skin to process. Yes, the aha is meant to leave on. I just find it excessive to use with another product. I use the aha or one of my moisturizers, not both. I'm telling you this from a well-meaning place. As someone who was put on three long-term courses of antibiotics as a young adult, please stop. I am older now and am convinced that that's why I have had all kinds of stomach disturbances. Antibiotics are not a cure. They actually barely made a difference for me. I agree with the above poster in terms of using caution. You can always spot-treat with an aha, see how that goes.

MemberMember
(@melmmg)

Posted : 10/27/2016 1:43 pm

On 10/25/2016 at 2:52 PM, gentlesoul said:

I thought I'd chime in here, after reading through this thread.  Dan's aha is effective at keeping my skin exfoliated.  But I can't use that on top of even a 2.5% bp, let alone the bp and any moisturizer.  It's too strong.  I use bp alone at night.  I like to keep things simple.  It's just too much for my skin to process.  Yes, the aha is meant to leave on.  I just find it excessive to use with another product.  I use the aha or one of my  moisturizers, not both.  I'm telling you this from a well-meaning place.  As someone who was put on three long-term courses of antibiotics as a young adult, please stop.  I am older now and am convinced that that's why I have had all kinds of stomach disturbances.  Antibiotics are not a cure.  They actually barely made a difference for me.  I agree with the above poster in terms of using caution.  You can always  spot-treat with an aha, see how that goes.

Yes ! I completely agree I wasn't happy on being put on Antibiotics in the first place but I have been on Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg since August 2015 for a while it was twice a day and I felt the effects surely and also the acne I got on my cheeks was so bad (the problem area) as before I would get like 3 under the skin bumps that would inflame and just felt really sensitive to touch. So I felt tired when I was taking it twice a day , but then she brought me down to 100 mg a day for a while, and now 40 mg a day of Oracea (same thing as doxy) and I have been taking 40 mg since June 7 , 2016 . And I really hope aczone in the am and ziana at night will just control my acne because I am weaning off it because it's just not healthy to be on antibiotics for acne it's just not realistic at all. I won't get on antibiotics ever again . I will just have to find other products to deal with my acne if (Ziana & Aczone) don't keep it controlled . I just can't put myself through another round of pills, physically cannot tolerate it. I feel like my kidneys are like tired lol O_O and I'm a healthy person like I drink sooo much water and I rarely drink anything but water like juices sometimes and sweet tea here and there but I hate sweet tea cause it instantly dehydrates me love-hate relationship with tea and also I don't drink soda for like years gives me indigestion problems so I avoid it. I'm just more worried about me completely relapsing on the antibiotics because soon I think I will be off it and all that progress of scars going away only to possibly have it come back worse really feels like a lose-lose situation.  Currently , getting flareups means new scars so thats why I'm looking into AHA. The flareups I get are under the skin that turn into pustules. & Not to mention the damage of my gut flora I have recently cut dairy out  like a month ago out of my diet because I noticed it made my acne more inflamed whenever I had dairy, currently looking for alternatives of probiotics. But prior to that I made sure I ate Activia (probiotic yogurt) everyday. Did you supplement anything for probiotic while you were on the course? Also I think I might do 5% AHA because my skin is super sensitive so see how well it works and if doesn't really do much then 10% .

btw: i'm allergic to bp , even though it cleared up my skin completely bummer but it is what it is

MemberMember
(@gentlesoul)

Posted : 10/27/2016 10:06 pm

8 hours ago, Melmmg said:
Yes ! I completely agree I wasn't happy on being put on Antibiotics in the first place but I have been on Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg since August 2015 for a while it was twice a day and I felt the effects surely and also the acne I got on my cheeks was so bad (the problem area) as before I would get like 3 under the skin bumps that would inflame and just felt really sensitive to touch. So I felt tired when I was taking it twice a day , but then she brought me down to 100 mg a day for a while, and now 40 mg a day of Oracea (same thing as doxy) and I have been taking 40 mg since June 7 , 2016 . And I really hope aczone in the am and ziana at night will just control my acne because I am weaning off it because it's just not healthy to be on antibiotics for acne it's just not realistic at all. I won't get on antibiotics ever again . I will just have to find other products to deal with my acne if (Ziana & Aczone) don't keep it controlled . I just can't put myself through another round of pills, physically cannot tolerate it. I feel like my kidneys are like tired lol O_O and I'm a healthy person like I drink sooo much water and I rarely drink anything but water like juices sometimes and sweet tea here and there but I hate sweet tea cause it instantly dehydrates me love-hate relationship with tea and also I don't drink soda for like years gives me indigestion problems so I avoid it. I'm just more worried about me completely relapsing on the antibiotics because soon I think I will be off it and all that progress of scars going away only to possibly have it come back worse really feels like a lose-lose situation.  Currently , getting flareups means new scars so thats why I'm looking into AHA. The flareups I get are under the skin that turn into pustules. & Not to mention the damage of my gut flora I have recently cut dairy out  like a month ago out of my diet because I noticed it made my acne more inflamed whenever I had dairy, currently looking for alternatives of probiotics. But prior to that I made sure I ate Activia (probiotic yogurt) everyday. Did you supplement anything for probiotic while you were on the course? Also I think I might do 5% AHA because my skin is super sensitive so see how well it works and if doesn't really do much then 10% .

btw: i'm allergic to bp , even though it cleared up my skin completely bummer but it is what it is

When I took antibiotics, which was many years ago, not one of the three derms told me how to protect my stomach during or after the courses on the rx.  I'm upset because it was a heavy dose each time, barely helped and then the acne came back. 

I had to take the antibiotics on an empty stomach; they made me tired and burned my stomach.  To this day, I cannot tolerate soft drinks or anything acidic.  I had to take medication to treat my stomach pain a few years ago and that gave me side effects!  Sigh. Had I known the long-term side effects, obviously I would have skipped even going to the derm.  Sorry for the rant.

It's a shame about your being allergic to bp.  Only you know how sensitive your skin is but I would use aha only at least to begin with.  You've been through a lot.

Please keep us posted on what you're taking and how it's working for you.

MemberMember
(@melmmg)

Posted : 10/29/2016 1:56 pm

On 10/27/2016 at 11:06 PM, gentlesoul said:
When I took antibiotics, which was many years ago, not one of the three derms told me how to protect my stomach during or after the courses on the rx. I'm upset because it was a heavy dose each time, barely helped and then the acne came back.

I had to take the antibiotics on an empty stomach; they made me tired and burned my stomach. To this day, I cannot tolerate soft drinks or anything acidic. I had to take medication to treat my stomach pain a few years ago and that gave me side effects! Sigh. Had I known the long-term side effects, obviously I would have skipped even going to the derm. Sorry for the rant.

It's a shame about your being allergic to bp. Only you know how sensitive your skin is but I would use aha only at least to begin with. You've been through a lot.

Please keep us posted on what you're taking and how it's working for you.

I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah , using antibiotics on a empty stomach was insane to me. I didn't do that , I knew I could never continue to use an antibiotic daily on an empty stomach I would probably die from the burning in your stomach. And I also can't tolerate acidic drinks either, gives me heartburn. Unfortunately BP did clear me up, but my eyes and mouth got swollen but I hear after continuois use of BP even at a moderate percentage can make your skin addicted to it and if you stop using BP your skin will go crazy without it. Not sure but I feel like if you stop using any topical or acne medicine your skin will go crazy without it. Hmm who knows. But anyways I have oily skin but somewhat dryer skin around my mouth. So I'm kinda stuck on whether I should get a aha or aha ? Idk I might get both but separately and see what works best for my skin .