Notifications
Clear all

Accutane round 2 for mild/moderate acne

MemberMember
(@brandonb17)

Posted : 10/14/2016 9:40 pm

Hello everyone, 
I'm started my second course of accutane last week.  I really enjoyed reading other people's experiences so I'm going to start a weekly log posting to share my experience with you. 

Background info:

I'm a 21 year old male and my acne began in 12 th grade and persisted.  In my first year of college my dermatologist put me on 70 mg/day does of Accutane for my acne which was considered moderately-severe.  My system absorbed this very well and killed my acne completely in a short course of 5 moths.  If I remember correctly I got side effects 2 weeks in, a very mild initial breakout 3 weeks in, and it was all up from there. I remember thinking in my 3rd month, "why am I still taking this?".  My skin was flawless at this point.  

Fast forward a year...

I'm in second year college now and I'm beginning to feel the stress of school , and probably the effects of lack of proper nutrition.  This combined with drinking alcohol has brought on some cystic, hormonal acne. It's really not bad, about one big zit every two weeks that I could cover up with my ex-girlfriends makeup pen if I wanted.

Present day:

The hormonal acne has persisted and slightly worsened so I decided to start course two.  I like to think of my case as a silent killer, it's bad enough to effect my looks, but not bad enough to demand immediate attention.  I get frustrated now looking at it in the mirror, "why me!?".  Haha well Anyways, I'm sick of it so it's time to put an end to it. 

It's been 7 days since my dermatologist started me on round 2 at 70 mg/day.  
After the second day my face was extremely red and chapped.  I'm beginning my initial breakout period, it's definitely noticeable but I've seen much worse.  Today (day 7),the side effects remain similar.  I scratched my face and some of the acne just flaked off, so that's AWESOME.  However, I know to prepare for a bumpy road ahead with more breakouts in the horizon and slow healing.  There's a girl in my classes who I like so I'm gonna have to compensate this mess with personality I guess.  

If you made it this far, here's some tips!

1. WATER! I believe this is the sole reason the drug works so well with me.  I'm constantly hydrating.

2. Alcohol is okay if you stay in the 'tipsy' stage, but it causes breakouts.  

3. Multi-Vitamins. Common sense right? D,C, and E (found in multi-vitamins) are very good for your skin!

4. Chapstick and moisturizer are obvious.

5. Fresh pillow case.  The amount of accumulated oil on your pillow needs to be considered.   I change mine every two days.  

6. Your secret weapon... Smile! :) The most attractive thing about someone is happiness, I'll forget you even have acne and so will you.  It'll be over soon if you're on accutane so just own it.  

*If you're not on accutane, and you suffer from acne, definitely get on it.  It's safe, I've done my research.  I use the "epuris" brand.  Ask your doctor, it'll change your life.

Anyways, I'm going to take my pills now.
I would love to see questions, suggestions, or hear your story!

Daisy180 liked
MemberMember
(@daisy180)

Posted : 10/18/2016 7:58 pm

I finally got approved for accutane through the long process and will start taking it today or tomorrow! I'm excited, but also worried about what I read about problems with the GI tract as a risk, but I know its's a small chance. Tip #6 made me smile just reading it and feel much better ^_^

MemberMember
(@brandonb17)

Posted : 10/19/2016 7:34 pm

23 hours ago, Daisy180 said:

I finally got approved for accutane through the long process and will start taking it today or tomorrow! I'm excited, but also worried about what I read about problems with the GI tract as a risk, but I know its's a small chance. Tip #6 made me smile just reading it and feel much better ^_^

Oh nice! 
Let me know how it goes

I wouldn't worry too much.
Accutane is meant for healthy people. So if you were tested, you're healthy, and are taking a reasonable dosage for a reasonable amount of time, you'll be fine.

Don't get discouraged it may take a couple months to see a difference and yeah smile :)

MemberMember
(@brandonb17)

Posted : 10/23/2016 3:46 pm

It's been just over 2 weeks now and there's not much to report.
My acne has died down by about 50% and I have only gotten one pimple in the past week.

I had some soreness in my back and ribs since the first week whichI read is not uncommon.
I didn't even realize this was a symptom from the drug until I read about it this week.
Good news is that it's basically gone. My dryness has gone down a little bit too, so in general things are going good.

MemberMember
(@brandonb17)

Posted : 11/02/2016 5:28 pm

Halfway through my two month course at 70mg..

acne is 100% gone, red marks/scarring are almost invisible.

dry skin is the only side effect that I still have and it's pretty manageable.

I have one more month left now and ill probably just do my next update then since there's nothing much else to say.

MemberMember
(@brandonb17)

Posted : 11/03/2016 7:22 pm

I want to add...
I realize I still have lower back pain.
I'm pretty sure it's from the accutane since it started during the course.
Basically, it's a dull, aching sensation that definitely originates on/near the spine.
Mild/moderate pain level. Usually occurswhen I go from a prone/laying position to a sitting/standing position.
Anyways I'm not too concerned but I just wanted to share in case any one knows anything about accutane and lower back pain.

Anyone else have this?

MemberMember
(@scotty123)

Posted : 11/04/2016 1:36 pm

I'm looking to start this treatment but I'm not sure if my medical aid limit will be able to cover a 6 month treatment period. How much would it cost me?

MemberMember
(@brandonb17)

Posted : 11/08/2016 10:42 am

I'm covered. However I think the cost was around 200$/month for 70mg