Notifications
Clear all

Will accutane keep me clear long term?

MemberMember
(@dwolf11)

Posted : 10/13/2016 9:46 pm

Hello. I am wondering if accurane will keep my skin clear long term or not. I am a 15 year old boy. I would be fine if I got like a little minor acne back because that is way better compared to how it is now. Also how long will it keep me clear? Like a couple months, couple years, forever? Any positive effects of accutane long term out there?

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 10/13/2016 10:00 pm

It changes based on person and genetics. My brother used it and was clear for years afterwards but he still breaks out. Some people, literally, right after the treatment finishes get acne. It all depends.

Just wanted to let you know Accutane is incredibly dangerous. It's used as a last resort and not a first. It was previously a cancer drug, so you can understand how devastating the side effects can be if misused or you incorrectly assess your body's warning signs.

It could also halt your growing. Read this page and literally take down notes on side effects: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/drugsafety/postmarketdrugsafetyinformationforpatientsandproviders/ucm094315.pdf

" Accutane may stop long bone growth in teenagers who are still growing.

Here's a copied list of advice I gave to another user in a PM:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/363363-my-experience-of-accutane-55-months/ (here's a recent post about someone's experience with accutane)

If you believe your acne is bad enough, go ahead and do it. You will have to be closely monitoring your own symptoms. If your bones have incredible pain (like mine when I was on it) then you'll have to report that to your doctor and lessen the dose.Monitor your symptoms and get regularly blood tested.

My brother took Accutane, it did solve his tragic acne problem, but he still gets acne today. It's not going to permanently cure acne. It's just going to cure it for a certain period of time or it may cure it altogether. Who knows. But everyone reacts to the drug differently.

Tips for Accutane:

• Invest in a lipstick balm( https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Dans-CortiBalm-Lip-Balm/dp/B000S2LT9Q - best one out there) The lip dryness is real.
  • Drink plenty of water.I'm talking you should be drinking at least 3L water a day. The drug is incredibly toxic and you need to alleviate the load on your liver.
  • Take Vitamin D + Kas Vitamin A competes with these for calcium. That way it lessens the toll on your bones. Believe me, your back especially is going to start to hurt while you're on it. This mitigates that greatly.
  • Monitor your emotional state.I was going suicidal while I was on it. This is an incredibly rare abnormality that happens and rarely happens to people, but it can. With your case, you're at a higher risk of Accutane possibly doing that.So, if you feel suicidal, call your doctor right away.If you're feeling overly depressed, call your doctor right away and ask to taper down the dose.I had to start taking itevery other dayand eventually that wasn't enough and I had toquit.
  • Ask your doctor about moisturizing your face.Your face is going to get dry, you can't use any medicated topical treatments while you're on the treatment. Ask your doctor about the best moisturizers to use. This will help heal the acne scars faster and facilitate the healing process.
  • Read all the side effects of the drug label. Read all of the side effects. You're going to have to take 2 different type of birth controls while you're on it. Just make sure you're ready for that and understand all the side effects.

That's all I have for you.Take your time, assess if this is the right decision, and go from there.