Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cloudydreamer

DON'T BUY TOM FORD FOUNDATION! Caused acne cosmetica...

I wanted to share my story as a warning to those searching for a foundation: expensive is not always better. It's interesting how so many luxury brand foundations can actually trigger acne due to their rich formulas. TOM FORD is one of them. 

Before I used Tom Ford, I had zero acne on my cheeks and forehead. I occasionally got a mild hormonal breakout on my chin with PMS. Or a zit near my hairline due to my hair products. I used Tom Ford's foundation for 3-4 weeks, and in that time I got closed comedones on my forehead and around my nasal folds for the FIRST time in my life, and a cyst on my cheek and forehead. If you don't know what closed comedones are, they are one of the most challenging forms of acne you can ever treat, because they're deep closed whiteheads beneath the skin that retinoids or peels have to push to the surface. 

TOM FORD GAVE ME ACNE COSMETICA -- acne triggered by pore clogging makeup and facial moisturizers. It disrupted my pH and now has to be treated like a case of regular/teen acne with Differin and an antibiotic! I wish I could issue a formal complaint with the BBB. Their foundation is filled with crap yet they charge $80 a bottle (!!!) -- irritants like Lavender (which can cause cell death), and so much Jojoba that it is like an oil slick on your skin if it's mildly warm out. The more you wear it, the worse you'll break out until it's too late to reverse it. I'm utterly disgusted.  

I recently tried Armani Luminous Silk.  Turns out there are several pretty harsh irritants in it...irritants trigger inflammation which triggers acne...Broke out like CRAZY. 

On 10/29/2016 at 0:10 AM, TheBean said:

I recently tried Armani Luminous Silk.  Turns out there are several pretty harsh irritants in it...irritants trigger inflammation which triggers acne...Broke out like CRAZY. 

That sucks. I feel you there. Many of the higher end foundations have shockingly terrible ingredients. They may seem luxurious, like jojoba and lavender, but they can be irritating and destructive for us sensitive types. 

Did you ever find a new makeup to try? I am thinking of Lorac of Laura Mercier. I feel pretty desperate since I'm still struggling [the antibiotic and retinoid made me way worse], and I have a trip coming up and I want to look decent in my photos. I've been patch testing Lorac's silicone-free primer and like that so far, no breakouts from it 4 days in. 

21 hours ago, cloudydreamer said:
That sucks. I feel you there. Many of the higher end foundations have shockingly terrible ingredients. They may seem luxurious, like jojoba and lavender, but they can be irritating and destructive for us sensitive types. 

Did you ever find a new makeup to try? I am thinking of Lorac of Laura Mercier. I feel pretty desperate since I'm still struggling [the antibiotic and retinoid made me way worse], and I have a trip coming up and I want to look decent in my photos. I've been patch testing Lorac's silicone-free primer and like that so far, no breakouts from it 4 days in. 

Yeah, no kidding...no jojoba or lavender...nothing that obvious...disappointing because it went on so effortlessly and looked fabulous! I think I am going to be stuck forever with Clinique's Perfectly Real Makeup. The Dimethicone is lower down the ingredients list and it doesn't break me out (even in my over-exfoliated state).  I wish it gave me a little nicer look and lasted longer, but I'm going to stick with it for now until my skin calms down. 
Lorac I'm So Sensitive(?)...I would be afraid to try that. The second ingredient is Ethylhexyl Palmitate. It's super high on the comedogenic list (doesn't necessarily mean everyone will break out from it.). Are you sensitive to silicones? 

Believe it or not...two foundations that seem to contain the least offensive ingredients, but are comparable to department store formulas (I think they are worth a test run):
Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless
L'Oreal Infallible Advanced Never Fail Makeup (actually, none of the ingredients are classified as comedogenic)
(They do have silicones, however--and the Infallible has Teflon in it.)

After this experience (with the Armani) I will be 'patch testing' like you in the future!

4 hours ago, TheBean said:

Yeah, no kidding...no jojoba or lavender...nothing that obvious...disappointing because it went on so effortlessly and looked fabulous! I think I am going to be stuck forever with Clinique's Perfectly Real Makeup. The Dimethicone is lower down the ingredients list and it doesn't break me out (even in my over-exfoliated state).  I wish it gave me a little nicer look and lasted longer, but I'm going to stick with it for now until my skin calms down. 
Lorac I'm So Sensitive(?)...I would be afraid to try that. The second ingredient is Ethylhexyl Palmitate. It's super high on the comedogenic list (doesn't necessarily mean everyone will break out from it.). Are you sensitive to silicones? 

Believe it or not...two foundations that seem to contain the least offensive ingredients, but are comparable to department store formulas (I think they are worth a test run):
Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless
L'Oreal Infallible Advanced Never Fail Makeup (actually, none of the ingredients are classified as comedogenic)
(They do have silicones, however--and the Infallible has Teflon in it.)

After this experience (with the Armani) I will be 'patch testing' like you in the future!

I never even knew these terrible ingredients would break me out until I used Tom Ford. Such a bummer. I am definitely sensitive to silicones. L'oreal infallible pro matte made me break out and it was very silicone based; it also dried me out. 

I'll research clinique perfectly real. I had bad luck with their other foundation which was a concealer and foundation 2-in-1, bt maybe that would work better. It's disappointing about Lorac. I do like their silicone free primer. I;ve been patch testing for days with no acne. It sucks they can't make basically the same in a foundation...UGH! 

11 hours ago, cloudydreamer said:

I never even knew these terrible ingredients would break me out until I used Tom Ford. Such a bummer. I am definitely sensitive to silicones. L'oreal infallible pro matte made me break out and it was very silicone based; it also dried me out. 

I'll research clinique perfectly real. I had bad luck with their other foundation which was a concealer and foundation 2-in-1, bt maybe that would work better. It's disappointing about Lorac. I do like their silicone free primer. I;ve been patch testing for days with no acne. It sucks they can't make basically the same in a foundation...UGH! 

Unfortunately,  most foundations are silicone based.  But some of them behave differently?  I saw somewhere that cyclopentasilixane (spelling?) allowed deeper penetration of other ingredients,  so it may not be the silicone,  per se (who knows)...the Beyond Perfecting broke me out too. Not as badly as the Armani, but still. If that Lorac primer is working for you,  keep going...it could be the thing that protects your skin from the irritants in the foundations and makes your skin more accepting. I think since you are having luck with it,  I'm going to do a patch test with it and I was thinking I would try their Porefecting Mattifying Primer too. It has retinyl palmitate,  which has a comedogenic rating of 1, but I'm not even sure if this is one is my triggers...good way to find out.

I just stopped using foundations 2 month back after years of addiction! I would never leave the house without these, but not anymore, I did 3 good deep facials with light peels and derma planning first at a great medical cosmetician and my skin looked much better to somehow be naked, so I stopped using the foundation first so my brain can accept that look then a week back I stopped using under eye concealers (still trying to live with it, may be need more facials and peels to fix this area, LOL), anyway I actually loved my look without the stupid foundations! in fact after 6 weeks my skin started to look more rosy (in a good glowing way) while when I was using the foundations on daily bases my skin looked more gray :D. Its not easy, I use a moisturizer now and of course top eyeliner, mascara and do my eyebrows and use lipstick, no foundation, no under eye concealer (some days) for my daily things unless I'm posting a pic or videos on social media  ... I'm finally feeling FREE, I'm hoping that the day for my eyebrows and lashes to go free will come too.

YOU DO NOT NEED foundations, YOU DO NOT NEED to cover up, spend a little money on good facials/ pro peels and derma planning and microdermabrasions at a medical cosmetician not anyone (trust me on this) do it like 2-3 times first 6 weeks then once every 4 weeks, you will get free from these trashy foundation, you can use foundations on a night out or a party ..