Notifications
Clear all

32 F Accutane 80 mg a day, with photos, 9/27/16

MemberMember
(@chaoticdreams33)

Posted : 09/29/2016 8:03 am

Hi there. This is my second round of Accutane and I find myself wishing that I had a log from my first round (in 2009) to refer to. So starting this one to track my progress. I will try to keep it succinct as possible and plan to update at least weekly with photos. 

My main concerns: ability to continue weight training- already have pre-existing joint issues; dry skin and covering up IB for work; fatigue as I have two youngish kids (2&5) and work 12 hour shifts in the emergency department. 

Day 1: 9/27/16, started 80 mg once a day with fattiest meal which is dinner for me. Included my day one photos, will try to get more clear ones going forward. 
Starting state of skin: oily with large pores.  Many small papules and pustules over cheeks, forehead, chin, jawline. One large nodule/cyst at jawline.  
IMG_1154.JPGIMG_1153.JPG

Day 2: after first dose last night I almost immediately had very sore knees and felt tired, telling myself this can't be related to the Accutane. Did upper body workout today with no issues. 

Day 3: 9/29/16, Awoke early morning today with a KILLER headache, like possibly the worst I have ever experienced. Took ibuprofen and drank 3 cups water,  which improved it. May try splitting my dose. Skin and lips already feel slightly more dry. IMG_1168.JPGIMG_1171.JPG

MemberMember
(@chaoticdreams33)

Posted : 10/04/2016 12:58 pm

One Week complete! 
Current state of skin- pores seem to be purging, skin is uneven and bumpy all over, a little flaking around nose, lips feel super weird- like they're covered with layers and layers of skin. IMG_1191.JPGIMG_1192.JPG

Day 4- I stuck out the 80 mg at dinner time and woke up with another am headache, but not quite as bad. I took ibuprofen before I went to bed and immediately upon awakening, drank my coffee and it dissipated quickly.

Day 5- went to work at 7am and when I got home at 9pm my skin was flaky all over. Used a gentle exfoliating konjac sponge to try and clear that up and it helped a bit. Only a minor headache this am but still took ibuprofen.

Current skin care regime-
AM: cleanse with cetaphil and hands, moisturizer with Happy Hausfrau lavender eo lotion,yes to eye cream, aquaphor on lips through the day 
PM: remove makeup if needed with olive oil, cleanse with cetaphil and konjac sponge, hemp oil immediately after shower, followed by Happy Hausfrau lotion or yes to coconut night cream, and eye cream, aquaphor on lips, Happy hausfrau body butter on hands and bag balm on cuticles 

started a new workout program, fighter diet's Build and burn challenge. Two total body workouts in  and doing well, though I'm being conservative on my weights and not going quite as heavy as I probably could.  

MemberMember
(@jamie10)

Posted : 10/06/2016 3:50 pm

Your dose seems high, recommend lowering to half for longer to avoid any such effects... Hope all is well

MemberMember
(@chaoticdreams33)

Posted : 10/14/2016 10:50 am

On 10/6/2016 at 4:50 PM, jamie10 said:

Your dose seems high, recommend lowering to half for longer to avoid any such effects... Hope all is well

I thought it seemed high too, but after the first few days of headaches, so far so good. I th Hi my derm started me higher since I tolerated it so well the first time. Thanks though! I will definitely go lower if I need to.

10/11/16- end of Week 2- skin is getting more dry, lips are dry, but otherwise doing well. Skin is lumpy and bumpy, lots of small lesions but no active cysts!! Workouts are still going well. Maybe my knees are a tiny bit more sensitive? but could just be my normal knee soreness too. Hard to tell since my workout program changes a lot so there are always new challenges. 

IMG_1241.JPGIMG_1242.JPG

MemberMember
(@chaoticdreams33)

Posted : 10/29/2016 8:44 pm

One month done! 
Had my one month follow up appointment, labs looks fabulous. They increased my dose to average 100mg a day, alternating 80mg and 120mg days. just had my first dose of 120 mg so we will see how I do. Skin is dry dry dry. But I'm managing ok. NO cysts! Just healing up from a breakout last week. 
IMG_1285.JPGIMG_1286.JPG

this was last weeks breakout. ? If initial breakout or just related to menstrual cycle.
IMG_1271.JPGIMG_1270.JPG

The week prior to that I thought I was clearing up IMG_1256.JPGIMG_1255.JPG

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/07/2016 1:10 pm

Even if you're still getting a few active spots here and there, it looks like the overall appearance and texture of your face is improving extremely well for only being on this a month or so. Your accutane breakout looks less severe than the one you had before. How are you feeling? 

MemberMember
(@chaoticdreams33)

Posted : 11/11/2016 2:07 pm

On 11/7/2016 at 1:10 PM, cloudydreamer said:

Even if you're still getting a few active spots here and there, it looks like the overall appearance and texture of your face is improving extremely well for only being on this a month or so. Your accutane breakout looks less severe than the one you had before. How are you feeling? 

Thanks! Other than recovering from a nasty sinus infection, I'm feeling good! Will post pics and a thorough update next week :) 

MemberMember
(@chaoticdreams33)

Posted : 11/16/2016 11:54 am

Kind of feel like it's just been a lot of one step forward one step back. Really hoping that this next month clears me up. Been trying a lot of different moisturizers/cleansers/makeup. I'll write up a little about the products I'm trying next time I post. 

Currently still breaking out, lots of lingering red marks, peeling around my mouth by the end of the day, slight improvement in skin texture, skin feels very thin. I'm using aquaphor on my lips constantly, and moisturizing a few times a day. 

Pics from this morning. IMG_1324.JPGIMG_1325.JPG

Pics from last week-
IMG_1322.JPGIMG_1323.JPG

MemberMember
(@chaoticdreams33)

Posted : 12/02/2016 9:44 am

IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG

two months done! Kind of a rough month: colds, sinus infection, bronchitis. Finally feeling better thank goodness. 

Skin is slowly improving. Still breaking out but they seem to heal faster. Texture of skin is smoothing out a bit. 
Up to 120 mg  day for months 3-5 if I can tolerate the side effects. My joints are definitely a little sore, but other than that and the dryness I'm doing ok. Due to all my illness I had to scale back on my workouts anyway. Still lifting but not as heavy, going to switch to higher rep workouts for now.