Shaving Acne (Razor...

Notifications
Clear all

Shaving Acne (Razor Bumps)

MemberMember
(@razorbumps)

Posted : 09/15/2016 3:16 pm

Hi.

Every single time I shave, the next day I will get razor bumps. I shave against the grain because this is the only way I can get a clean shave (each 2 days). If I go with the grain, it's like I didn't even shave because my hair grows fast and I look like shit (red marks + hairs).

When I had no hair on my face, my skin was really clear. Since I started shaving (like 2 years ago), my skin has been a mess. Everytime I get razor bumps, it leaves red marks that take forever to fade. My cheeks are now covered with red marks because of shaving. I don't have acne on my forehead. The only problem are my cheeks. 

Is there something I could do about it? The only thing that pop up in my head is laser hair removal, but it costs money which I don't have (only 20 years old).

Thanks for your help and have a great day! :)

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 09/22/2016 4:34 pm

my understanding is that razor bumps can be caused by either a blunt razor, using too much pressure when shaving or going over the same area too many times. you should also be reapplying shaving gel/foam each time you shave.

i would recommend doing a search on youtube as there is many good clips on shaving techniques for people with acne which i found helpful.

failing that you could get a electric foil razor, i find they work really well for me.

MemberMember
(@lazybum-sdgmail-com)

Posted : 01/30/2017 4:17 am

I logged in for the first time in years to share what worked for me. For years I had acne, but really it was ingrown hairs mostly, caused by shaving. 2 or 3 days after I shaved the hairs would poke into my skin and Id break out. Wet shaving cuts the hairs below the surface of the skin, and that is the problem.

2 or 3 years ago I switched to just using a stubble trimmer, and my acne cleared up completely. I never had a close shave though and missed it. I just recently tried a foil electric shaver, and it got me a close shave and I did not break out after. I CANNOT wet shave with something like a mach 3. I tried all types of wet shavers, and I would always break out after.

IF you think your acne is ingrown hairs, try a foil electric shaver. They leave patches of hair, but just use the trimmer part to go over those sections.

MemberMember
(@goodadvice)

Posted : 10/11/2017 3:03 pm

My husband has a Philips electric shaver you can clean under water.

He proceeds the following:
Trim the long hairs as much as possible,
wash the face with pure water
use the electrical shaver for the shortened hair
wash the face with pure water

use shaving foam (sensitive)
use at least a 3 blade to get all the tiny rests of hair

Instead of cleaning with water after this,
just try to take a little shaving foam and put it on your skin
then rub it of with your towel or napkins or something else.

No Aftershave... it would only cause problems.

Hoping to help you,

Tabea

MemberMember
(@betty92)

Posted : 11/15/2017 11:26 am

It's also important to use a moisturer afrer shaving - it usually helps to prevent razor bumps.

MemberMember
(@tania-crowe)

Posted : 11/18/2017 11:51 pm

The problem is caused by modern multi-blade razors. When you shave with razor that has many blades the first blades actually lift the hair out of the skin, and the following blades then cut the hair from below the skin line. Thats how you can get that really smoothly shaven feel. The easiest solution is to ditch the multi-blade razor and switch to either an electric shaver. It usually doesn't shave as close to the skin as blades do. So they dont cut the hair below the skin line. With an electric razor be careful not to press the head too hard on the skin. Gently slide the shaving head over the skin to avoid irritation.