Notifications
Clear all

Maca Root for acne?

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 09/13/2016 6:32 am

Hi everyone, just wondering if any of you has ever tried taking maca root either in powder form or capsules for acne.

I've been taking it for a little over a week. I only take 250mg every day. I haven't been breaking out in any cystic acne so far, it seems to have stopped. My skin also suddenly becomes a lot oilier than before, and my hair is also more greasy and thinning. It's crazy how much my skin can change in just a matter of a few days.

I suspect that maca root may be encouraging the testosterone production of my body? PS I'm on birth control for more than half a year already.

Would like to know your experience or opinions on it! Thank you and have a good day!

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 09/13/2016 8:16 am

Hey, I know that Maca root can affect your hormones which might be why your skin and hair are getting greasy. A lot of women with hormonal imbalances take it to try to regulate their hormones naturally. I am not sure how maca root interacts with other hormone treatments like birth control though, so I would definitely check on that if you are going to be taking it regularly.

I tried taking maca capsules for about a month once, but mine were higher dose (500mg per capsule 2x a day). My skin started breaking out really bad after 1 month and so I stopped taking them. I'm not sure if it was a "purge" that would have passed had I continued, but I didn't like the uncertainty of it and so I stopped.