Notifications
Clear all

Acne scars...how do you feel?

MemberMember
(@elizabeth2412)

Posted : 09/12/2016 6:46 am

Hello everyone!!
i just want to share my experience with acne scars.
Quick story: i'm 24 yo, I started to break out at 19/20, before I just had random pimples. My skin is very pale and thin so I get scars very easily, even without picking. Here cames the problem: hyperpigmentation faded, but properly scars are still  there. 
I have scars on both of my cheecks. I dont understand which type.
Scars are my biggest insecurety, i spend every single moment thinking about them and how I can get rid of them (if I ever will:/). I feel very self conscious with everyone, I feel ashamed to meet new people. My boyfriend's friends visited us one evening (decided last minute) and I freaked out because I couldn't do my make up. I dont feel comfortable with out make up, even though make up can't cover scars...
I feel calm and safe just with some friends and my boyfriend (and my mum, dad and sister). 
I think having scars effect my job and my possibilities: I want to work in the fashion marketing, but I dont even try because of my face.
How do you cope with scars? I want to get rid of them, I'm planning buy glicolyc acid and dermaroller (won't use them together!!! ;)). 
Do you think scars affect your choises?
Do you think people, in a job place, will judge you for your scars?
Sorry for the long post :)

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 09/12/2016 9:00 am

Hey Liz. I can relate to you. I am almost 24 and still have some scarring on my inner cheeks from my severe high school acne, even though they have faded a lot. I also have hyperpigmentation along my jawline from a more recent breakout. I think going through my recent breakout made me more aware of my old scars again - I had kind of gotten used to them after awhile. When we go through breakouts we become MUCH more aware of every detail of our skin that the average person, and so I am struggling with similar insecurities again.

I'm a young business professional. I work in an office and deal with clients. My skin doesn't affect the way people see me or treat me at work. I think the only times there are issues is when I myself start thinking about it and becoming self-conscious. When you start feeling insecure about yourself then it can make you even more insecure about how you think others are looking at you, which just results in a vicious cycle of you feeling down about yourself and that affecting your ability to work. People don't care as much as we think they do, so don't let your skin hold you back from seeking the jobs you want. Your confidence in yourself and the way you carry yourself speaks volumes.A good example of this is the fact that I never noticed the skin problems of my co-workers until I started breaking out myself and became more aware of that stuff.

If you are already doing your best in terms of taking care of your skin, trying scar treatments and applying make-up then the only other thing you can do is just work on becoming comfortable in your skin. Spend less time analyzing every inch of your face in the mirror and focus on the overall picture of your face, which is what most people are looking at!

MemberMember
(@skrillexxi)

Posted : 09/13/2016 4:09 am

Hey!

I work in the esthetics field and deal with treatments of acne scarring. My question to you is it deep pitted scars or more of hyper pigmentation? Deep pitted scars are hard to get rid of but it can be done! Here are some treatments I recommend for any type of scarring- chemical peels, microdermabrasion, microneedling (only if you are clear), IPL laser, photofacial, and there are more out there too but those are the ones I mainly focus on. For you I would start with either a chemical peel or microdermabrasion- you can get these at most medical spas and they do wonders for the skin! Secondly as a for prevention and maintenance ALWAYS wear sunscreen on your face if you are going outside of at least spf 30. Scars will get worse with sun damage and sunscreen has natural ingredients that help prevent more scarring and heal current scarring (zinc being one of them). If you have any questions let me know and I can explain everything more in depth! Good luck and feel better- you are beautiful!

MemberMember
(@elizabeth2412)

Posted : 09/13/2016 4:41 am

19 hours ago, kelbell812 said:yMy skin doesn't affect the way people see me or treat me at work. When you start feeling insecure about yourself then it can make you even more insecure about how you think others are looking at you, which just results in a vicious cycle of you feeling down about yourself and that affecting your ability to work. People don't care as much as we think they do, so don't let your skin hold you back from seeking the jobs you want. Your confidence in yourself 

I totally understand that, and thinking straight you are right. I know I see myself 10 thousands time worst then I am. But having a decent skin will help me to be more confident...

@skrillexxi
I would say my scars are very deep, but it wouldnt be fair. I mean, I can see them when I'm close and with light at the right angle.
on one cheek i have like little holes, like a needle.
On the other (the worst) I have larger scars but less deep (as soon as I can I'll upload a picture!).
I'm 100% clear all over my face, no pimples, no hyperpigmentation.
I done already peeling with my doctor (50%) and it helped me a lot. 
Now I moved to another country, and I dont want to spend money, so I think I'll buy the acid myself and see what I can do. 
Thank you for your answer :)

MemberMember
(@elizabeth2412)

Posted : 09/22/2016 6:19 am

Okay, these are my cheeks.
Dont know if its the best light, but you can see the problematic areas :/

IMG_7340.JPG

IMG_7341.JPG

MemberMember
(@realtalkgurl)

Posted : 10/14/2016 11:22 pm

Wow your actually very stunning ^_^ your eyes and eyebrows are very adorning to your face and it doesn't look like you have rolling scars . But, I can understand how you might feel insecure about it . I would say that try to take things a little more light-hearted .. maybe give the other people the benefit of the doubt . They are your boyfriends friends and in conclusion have somewhat the same temperament  and way of thinking so in turn they probably accept you regardless of your condition.

MemberMember
(@elizabeth2412)

Posted : 10/18/2016 10:12 am

Thank you very much, you are so kind :)
I feel stupid for being self conscious about my scars, there are worst things that could happen :/
I know the problem it's me, not the others...
It's something I can't ignore or live with, I won't be completely myself with scars. Again, I know it's stupid, but I can't help.
I started the peeling and I can see tiny improvements, I have little hope now :)