Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroE

Things that I tired and didn't work - Acne for over 10 years and going strong

Recommended Posts

Personal log of crazy things that I tired/trying to prevent Acne!

Background:
Late 20's, acne since 14 Japanese/Korean decent. 

Goal:

Goal like everyone! To get clear skin, I prefer to do it internally vs externally. If there’s something I can adjust in my diet, I rather do that than try crazy external mask. I want to go out side in the real world without thinking about what other people thinks of my face.
 

Diet:
Plant base no meat, mainly get my starch from brown rice. Attach my nutrition on average I get a day below. 74% Carb, 16% fat, and 8% protein. I tried literally not fat and live off of brown rice only diet and i still got acne and I tried living off of banana and spinach/kale and still got acne. My acne goes crazy whenever I eat pizza so i avoid dairy like a plague, in fact I avoid fast food at all cost cause I always seen to break out afterwards.

What things I tried before:
Acne.org, Proactiv, Clay Mask (always bad break out afterwards), caveman, cold shower, Low FodMap (still on going this)

What I tried recently:
All out vitamins TRIAL:  A, C , D, B complex, Green extract, Reduced Glutathione, Probiotic, etc EVERYTHING THAT WAS LISTED I TOOK.  (3 weeks, stopping as of 10/8/16)
Zinc Oxide TRIAL: I left this stuff on my face overnight for 5 days and acne still grew under it. (5 days, stopping as of 10/8/16)

What I'm currently trying:
Eating Baking Soda 2-3 time a day. Wish me luck. (Started 10/7/16)

Nutrition information:
 
Calorie Information
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calories
2247
(9408 kJ)
112%
  From Carbohydrate
1670
(6992 kJ)
 
  From Fat
395
(1654 kJ)
 
  From Protein
182
(762 kJ)
 
  From Alcohol
~0.0
(0.0 kJ)
 
 
Carbohydrates
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Total Carbohydrate
408
g
136%
 
Dietary Fiber
54.1
g
217%
 
Starch
~0.0
g
 
 
Sugars
27.9
g
 
 
Fats & Fatty Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Total Fat
47.2
g
73%
 
Saturated Fat
5.5
g
28%
 
Monounsaturated Fat
10.8
g
 
 
Polyunsaturated Fat
27.7
g
 
 
Total trans fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total Omega-3 fatty acids
~18481
mg
 
 
Total Omega-6 fatty acids
9257
mg
 
Protein & Amino Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Protein
54.7
g
109%
 
Vitamins
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Vitamin A
68529
IU
1371%
Vitamin C
46.5
mg
78%
Vitamin D
~
 
~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
~7.8
mg
~39%
Vitamin K
366
mcg
457%
Thiamin
3.3
mg
220%
Riboflavin
0.9
mg
51%
Niacin
28.8
mg
144%
Vitamin B6
3.4
mg
170%
Folate
346
mcg
86%
Vitamin B12
0.0
mcg
0%
Pantothenic Acid
9.9
mg
99%
Choline
252
mg
 
Betaine
~3.1
mg
 
 
Minerals
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calcium
519
mg
52%
Iron
16.8
mg
93%
Magnesium
1005
mg
251%
Phosphorus
2126
mg
213%
Potassium
3498
mg
100%
Sodium
454
mg
19%
Zinc
13.5
mg
90%
Copper
3.0
mg
149%
Manganese
18.9
mg
947%
Selenium
124
mcg
177%
Fluoride
~
 
 
 
Sterols
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Cholesterol
0.0
mg
0%
Phytosterols
~5.0
mg
 
 
Other
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Alcohol
0.0
g
 
Water
624
g
 
Ash
14.4
g
 
Caffeine
~0.0
mg
 
 


  Edited by ZeroE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Log - 8/8/16:

FYI do NOT take baking soda within 3 hours of each other even at half a teaspoon I was stuck in 405 traffic with a headache this morning. I also brought some Himalayan Salt to help alkalinized my body. Since i'm not masking my face with Zinc Oxide (overnight), I'm going back to just using water and putting on some AHA. I have like over 10 big acne on my face so I won't even count. Depressing day, going to catch up Daily Show and Mr. Robot to relieve my depression. Edited by ZeroE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this is very comprehensive. I applaud you for posting all this and showing us all the parameters available. Let me advise you with something as it seems you're doing exactly what I was doing. Diet plays a role but it's not that big of a factor unless you have incredibly bad allergies with food. I know, that's something that you don't want to hear but it's true.

Looking at all the studies, the only thing that has shown to improve acne is a low glycemic index diet. Despite the food the person consumed, the notion of a low glycemic index diet that excludes dairy, soy, excessive sugar consumption, or any estrogenic byproduct benefits acne. They've even made connections with MTORC1 being a cause, but that's just bull shit linking high glycemic diets to the pathogenesis of acne due to insulin resistance. 

That's simple to fix. Just increase protein consumption, lower your carbohydrate consumption as your carbohydrate to protein is very low. You need protein for various functions within the skin, liver detoxification, thyroid function (which you need to convert vitamin A to retinol), and for collagen synthesis. Do you take a B-complex? I don't stress about diet. It doesn't even matter and just look around you and see how many people with bad diets have great skin. 

Yes, genetics plays a factor but it's to prove that it's not the immediate cause. One of the leading causes of acne, I'm saying leading because I've seen it in almost every case is psychological. From this post and your activity on this forum, it seems that it's contributing to stress and depressive behavior - two known factors in the pathogenesis of acne. 

They've conducted studies that has linked lower quality of life directly correlating with the severity of acne, indicating a connection between acne and stress. For me personally, it was until I resolved the issue of stress that my acne took a 360 degree turn. This all has to do with your mindset. The nocebo effect from thinking that a certain food, activity, or cream will cause acne could be the cause of your acne and many others. 

I remember that everyday I'd look in the mirror I'd say I'm ugly and I would be self-conscious about my skin. My skin just kept getting worse as time went on despite the creams, diet extremities, or regimens I've tried. This all had to do with the high level of stress subconsciously that I was facing. You'll notice that most people here have anxiety problems, stressful lives, and other psychological abnormalities - all because they blame acne for screwing their life. I believe you have the same problem as well.

Give this a try: do the things you believe help acne while doing the slight diet alterations I'e said. But, this time, everytime you look in the mirror tell yourself you're beautiful and that your acne is over. Look at the good in your face and convince yourself that the acne will go in a few days time. I personally don't care what anybody says about my face; I only care what I think. You should too. I'm doing the baking soda experiment as well at 1/2 a teaspoon mixed with lemon due to the alkalinity of it twice a day (morning and night). 

I've also been doing something else for a while and it's amazing. I'll put a post about it when I'm 100% clear. 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AcneScience said:

Wow, this is very comprehensive. I applaud you for posting all this and showing us all the parameters available. Let me advise you with something as it seems you're doing exactly what I was doing. Diet plays a role but it's not that big of a factor unless you have incredibly bad allergies with food. I know, that's something that you don't want to hear but it's true.

Looking at all the studies, the only thing that has shown to improve acne is a low glycemic index diet. Despite the food the person consumed, the notion of a low glycemic index diet that excludes dairy, soy, excessive sugar consumption, or any estrogenic byproduct benefits acne. They've even made connections with MTORC1 being a cause, but that's just bull shit linking high glycemic diets to the pathogenesis of acne due to insulin resistance. 

That's simple to fix. Just increase protein consumption, lower your carbohydrate consumption as your carbohydrate to protein is very low. You need protein for various functions within the skin, liver detoxification, thyroid function (which you need to convert vitamin A to retinol), and for collagen synthesis. Do you take a B-complex? I don't stress about diet. It doesn't even matter and just look around you and see how many people with bad diets have great skin. 

Yes, genetics plays a factor but it's to prove that it's not the immediate cause. One of the leading causes of acne, I'm saying leading because I've seen it in almost every case is psychological. From this post and your activity on this forum, it seems that it's contributing to stress and depressive behavior - two known factors in the pathogenesis of acne. 

They've conducted studies that has linked lower quality of life directly correlating with the severity of acne, indicating a connection between acne and stress. For me personally, it was until I resolved the issue of stress that my acne took a 360 degree turn. This all has to do with your mindset. The nocebo effect from thinking that a certain food, activity, or cream will cause acne could be the cause of your acne and many others. 

I remember that everyday I'd look in the mirror I'd say I'm ugly and I would be self-conscious about my skin. My skin just kept getting worse as time went on despite the creams, diet extremities, or regimens I've tried. This all had to do with the high level of stress subconsciously that I was facing. You'll notice that most people here have anxiety problems, stressful lives, and other psychological abnormalities - all because they blame acne for screwing their life. I believe you have the same problem as well.

Give this a try: do the things you believe help acne while doing the slight diet alterations I'e said. But, this time, everytime you look in the mirror tell yourself you're beautiful and that your acne is over. Look at the good in your face and convince yourself that the acne will go in a few days time. I personally don't care what anybody says about my face; I only care what I think. You should too. I'm doing the baking soda experiment as well at 1/2 a teaspoon mixed with lemon due to the alkalinity of it twice a day (morning and night). 

I've also been doing something else for a while and it's amazing. I'll put a post about it when I'm 100% clear. 



 

Thanks I was thinking about going to a keto diet but trying to avoid any route that causes harm to animals. I rather just leave this earth then having to harm another being. Aside from that I'm going to stop baking soda it's giving me massive headaches and my ache hasn't improved at all. I did do some research into akalaine and added the H - salt. Look forward to your amazing thing
Captain Log - 8/10/16:
 

Major skin issues, I was hoping baking soda (I’m stopping) was going to help reduce my acne and oily skin but it’s augment my oily skin and not helping with acne. Simply researching acne, we know serum production has a big effect on acne I’m going to give John Mcdougall ( http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/031100acnepf.htm ) and caveman regimen another shot. I’m going to be strict on and follow the “strictly avoiding all added fats, including nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, soybeans, and vegetable oils – even the so-called “good” fats. “. I mainly took flaxseed to balance out my Omega 6 and 3, even while balance 1 to 1 ratio, it didn’t help with my acne unfortunately.

 

 

I guess aside from acne I want to get my oily skin under control first because waking up in morning with a super oily face is pretty disgusting (I wash at night as well). In addition to constantly wiping oil off my face, yesterday I had to wipe my face 5 times to get all the oil off. :(

I’m trying to give this a longer trial run. This will change up my nutrient intake and I’ll update that later today or tomorrow.

 

 

Current Trial: JM (John Mcdougall) + Caveman


PS: Great reading http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-acne-nutrition 
Why I try to follow Low Fodmap for better Gi Track and Avoid Animal food.
 
Edited by ZeroE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ZeroE said:
Thanks I was thinking about going to a keto diet but trying to avoid any route that causes harm to animals. I rather just leave this earth then having to harm another being. Aside from that I'm going to stop baking soda it's giving me massive headaches and my ache hasn't improved at all. I did do some research into akalaine and added the H - salt. Look forward to your amazing thing
Captain Log - 8/10/16:
 

Major skin issues, I was hoping baking soda (I’m stopping) was going to help reduce my acne and oily skin but it’s augment my oily skin and not helping with acne. Simply researching acne, we know serum production has a big effect on acne I’m going to give John Mcdougall ( http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/031100acnepf.htm ) and caveman regimen another shot. I’m going to be strict on and follow the “strictly avoiding all added fats, including nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, soybeans, and vegetable oils – even the so-called “good” fats. “. I mainly took flaxseed to balance out my Omega 6 and 3, even while balance 1 to 1 ratio, it didn’t help with my acne unfortunately.

 

 

I guess aside from acne I want to get my oily skin under control first because waking up in morning with a super oily face is pretty disgusting (I wash at night as well). In addition to constantly wiping oil off my face, yesterday I had to wipe my face 5 times to get all the oil off. :(

I’m trying to give this a longer trial run. This will change up my nutrient intake and I’ll update that later today or tomorrow.

 

 

Current Trial: JM (John Mcdougall) + Caveman


PS: Great reading http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-acne-nutrition 
Why I try to follow Low Fodmap for better Gi Track and Avoid Animal food.
 
Just based on what you said, I don't think I'm going to continue with my trials. That person that you're reading about is touting the generic belief that acne is 100% attributed to diet. He just made a connection with high glycemic and low glycemic diets. We know that the western diet is incredibly high glycemic (dairy, excessive protein consumption, sugar, carbs, fats, and low in essential vitamins). 

Diets of natives were low glycemic and were nutrient dense. I'm not saying you should eat meat, but I'm saying you should probably consume more protein rich foods and have a more balanced diet. You've been eating a vegetarian diet for a while and despite having a clean diet; you're still breaking out - it's obvious that it has very little to do with diet. Flaxseed is incredibly estrogenic which could be causing your acne to be worse, I'd love to tell you how but I'm going to have to write about that. You're a male, you shouldn't be intaking exogenous estrogen.

I have no interest in interrupting with what you're doing as I did it as well. I have already done everything you've tried and a lot more. My final ending advise, is to change your mindset on acne and stop stressing about your face. It doesn't help and does everything against it. Something that's helped me a lot was Zinc for acne + 2g B5 + Vitamin C and mindfulness. 

Topically, I used D-Panthenol once every night. Give D-Panthenol a try, it's the alcohol form of vitamin B5 that has the same beneficial anti-acne properties as high dosage B5 without the side effects. It's a bit sticky but the shit works. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and literally, the results are outstanding.

It's only 10 bucks on Amazon for the 2 ounce bottle that'll last you for a month. It improves skin barrier function, anti-inflammatory, anti-acne, and moisturizes skin. Here's a compiled list of studies with it: https://www.bulkactives.com/product/product/d-panthenol-usp-liquid.html

I've liked it so much that I'm actually purchasing it bulk from a supplier and going to add in Niacinmide and Vitamin A. Just something to look into. I'm going to be writing an entire article about this on this site in a month's time, but I wanted to help you as it seems you were in the same place as I was a few months back. I hope this helps :)



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AcneScience said:

Topically, I used D-Panthenol once every night. Give D-Panthenol a try, it's the alcohol form of vitamin B5 that has the same beneficial anti-acne properties as high dosage B5 without the side effects. It's a bit sticky but the shit works. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and literally, the results are outstanding.

It's only 10 bucks on Amazon for the 2 ounce bottle that'll last you for a month. It improves skin barrier function, anti-inflammatory, anti-acne, and moisturizes skin. Here's a compiled list of studies with it: https://www.bulkactives.com/product/product/d-panthenol-usp-liquid.html

I've liked it so much that I'm actually purchasing it bulk from a supplier and going to add in Niacinmide and Vitamin A. Just something to look into. I'm going to be writing an entire article about this on this site in a month's time, but I wanted to help you as it seems you were in the same place as I was a few months back. I hope this helps :)

What you mean by a bit sticky? I’ll order some of B5 you specific because I tried that B-Complex and didn’t help much. I’m getting tired of trying supplements (my vitamin trial runs) didn’t help me at all.

 

9/11/16 – Update

 

My acne has improve in these two days but I’m still getting some white heads (1 – 3 ) on my face I’m assuming that’s due to serum production. My goal is still trying to tackle serum production. I’ll give it a week before making major adjustments to my diet. According to graphic below Serum production is either due to high GL Diet or increase in dairy. I have no dairy in my diet so I can factor that but I’m avoiding any process food and no more potato has help with the GL Diet.

 

Quote from John Mcdougall  - https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl/nov/acne.htm

 

After changing to plant-based, low-fat foods you (and they) should expect to experience a noticeable reduction in the oiliness of your face and hair within about 4 to 7 days.  “

Current Nutrition Intake: No Seeds / High GI food

 

Calorie Information
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calories
2217
(9282 kJ)
111%
  From Carbohydrate
1927
(8068 kJ)
 
  From Fat
136
(569 kJ)
 
  From Protein
154
(645 kJ)
 
  From Alcohol
~0.0
(0.0 kJ)
 
 
Carbohydrates
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Total Carbohydrate
477
g
159%
 
Dietary Fiber
33.0
g
132%
 
Starch
~16.3
g
 
 
Sugars
~52.1
g
 
moreDetails.gif
Fats & Fatty Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Total Fat
16.2
g
25%
 
Saturated Fat
3.3
g
17%
 
Monounsaturated Fat
5.5
g
 
 
Polyunsaturated Fat
5.7
g
 
 
Total trans fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total Omega-3 fatty acids
~370
mg
 
 
Total Omega-6 fatty acids
5314
mg
 
moreDetails.gif
Protein & Amino Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Protein
45.8
g
92%
moreDetails.gif
Vitamins
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Vitamin A
36738
IU
735%
Vitamin C
71.2
mg
119%
Vitamin D
~
 
~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
~6.8
mg
~34%
Vitamin K
323
mcg
404%
Thiamin
2.2
mg
147%
Riboflavin
0.8
mg
49%
Niacin
29.2
mg
146%
Vitamin B6
4.0
mg
200%
Folate
242
mcg
60%
Vitamin B12
0.0
mcg
0%
Pantothenic Acid
9.5
mg
95%
Choline
~203
mg
 
Betaine
~0.5
mg
 
moreDetails.gif
Minerals
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calcium
253
mg
25%
Iron
11.0
mg
61%
Magnesium
834
mg
208%
Phosphorus
1820
mg
182%
Potassium
2960
mg
85%
Sodium
234
mg
10%
Zinc
11.2
mg
74%
Copper
2.0
mg
99%
Manganese
20.2
mg
1009%
Selenium
122
mcg
175%
Fluoride
~6.7
mcg
 
 
Sterols
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Cholesterol
0.0
mg
0%
Phytosterols
~49.5
mg
 
moreDetails.gif
Other
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Alcohol
0.0
g
 
Water
523
g
 
Ash
12.3
g
 
Caffeine
~0.0
mg
 
Theobromine
~0.0
mg
 



 

precision-nutrition-all-about-acne-diet.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9/19/2016

I took AcneScience's advice and switch it up a bit. I cut brown rice completely and added lentils (80%) and black beans (20%) the GL of my food dropped quite a bit. Has it help my skin? Instead of big acne i'm getting smaller minor ones, so I would say it has been pretty helpful.

I'm currently getting 202grams worth of protein that's 404% of my daily requirement. I'm kind of scared for my kidney but it has help reduce oiliness on my face. I'm pretty sure the Index of food has an effect, i'm trying to see if the amount of food i eat in one setting has an effect on serum production as well. 

Side note i'm feeling much stronger i'm squatting 2 plates on each side and benching one plate and half. I think this is due to extra protein, I used to workout a lot when i took whey and had horrible acne. I felt very weak on brown rice even if I eat a large amount. I'll update more so far it's been pretty helpful.

Here's my current nutrition profile. 
 

Calorie Information
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calories
2901
(12146 kJ)
145%
  From Carbohydrate
2000
(8374 kJ)
 
  From Fat
120
(502 kJ)
 
  From Protein
781
(3270 kJ)
 
  From Alcohol
~0.0
(0.0 kJ)
 
 
Carbohydrates
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Total Carbohydrate
498
g
166%
 
Dietary Fiber
219
g
875%
 
Starch
~0.0
g
 
 
Sugars
~19.2
g
 
moreDetails.gif
Fats & Fatty Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Total Fat
13.9
g
21%
 
Saturated Fat
2.1
g
10%
 
Monounsaturated Fat
2.2
g
 
 
Polyunsaturated Fat
7.4
g
 
 
Total trans fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids
~
 
 
 
Total Omega-3 fatty acids
3597
mg
 
 
Total Omega-6 fatty acids
3788
mg
 
moreDetails.gif
Protein & Amino Acids
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Protein
202
g
404%
moreDetails.gif
Vitamins
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Vitamin A
16567
IU
331%
Vitamin C
95.1
mg
159%
Vitamin D
~
 
~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
~3.4
mg
~17%
Vitamin K
504
mcg
631%
Thiamin
7.3
mg
485%
Riboflavin
1.8
mg
104%
Niacin
20.7
mg
104%
Vitamin B6
4.1
mg
203%
Folate
3802
mcg
950%
Vitamin B12
0.0
mcg
0%
Pantothenic Acid
15.0
mg
150%
Choline
~723
mg
 
Betaine
~0.4
mg
 
moreDetails.gif
Minerals
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Calcium
701
mg
70%
Iron
57.3
mg
318%
Magnesium
1138
mg
284%
Phosphorus
3521
mg
352%
Potassium
9159
mg
262%
Sodium
117
mg
5%
Zinc
36.8
mg
245%
Copper
5.1
mg
257%
Manganese
10.9
mg
543%
Selenium
59.7
mcg
85%
Fluoride
~
 
 
 
Sterols
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Cholesterol
0.0
mg
0%
Phytosterols
~
 
 
moreDetails.gif
Other
Amounts Per Selected Serving
%DV
Alcohol
0.0
g
 
Water
183
g
 
Ash
24.8
g
 
Caffeine
~0.0
mg
 
Theobromine
~0.0
mg
 


Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/mynd/mytracking/tracking-analysis#ixzz4KiQklJHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10/5/2016

My face is actually getting better! I'm pretty surprise and my room mate was curious what kind of chemical peel I was using. I'm not using any chemical peels! I'll post back in a week with more updates, i'm not sure if my acne is going away temporary or if I can consistently keep it away.

Here's what i'm doing in a nut shell:
No high GI food and no SOS (Salt Oil and Sugar). Also I avoid brown rice, banana, avocado, and every single nuts and seed. Taking out flaxseed was very helpful. I essentially been eating low gi beans/pulse, fruits, and veggies. 

Basic Hygiene:
Wash my face, exfoliate once or two a week. I don't use any BP or harsh chemical and avoid all oil products.

Vitamin/nutrition:
I take probiotics once or twice a week and DHA alega supplement. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

×