Notifications
Clear all

Consuming spirulina or chlorella for acne?

MemberMember
(@alana1997)

Posted : 09/07/2016 6:19 pm

I've been seeing a lot of people on this forum touting the praises of spirulina and chlorella as a dietary supplement that aids in the clearing and healing of acne. I decided to try it for myself several weeks ago and made the mistake of starting off at quite a high dose (9 grams of chlorella and 18 grams of spirulina) and got violently sick... about three days after I started taking it , I was throwing up nonstop for about 10 hours and had terrible stomach cramping. I realized I probably started off way too strong and my body wasn't used to it. I researched a lot on the prper dosing for it and a lot of people did say around 5-10 grams of chlorella and 10-20 grams of spirulina was best if you wanted to see results, but I never let my body get used to it. So I went to a much smaller dose, only 3 grams of chlorella and 6 grams of spirulina per day, and now I've been at that dose for about a month with no side effects at all. I decided starting today I'd up the dose again, but to 6 grams if chlorella and 12 grams of spirulina. Still not as high as the first time when I got sick, but I'm still having concerns. Not necessarily that I'll get nausea and vomiting again, but concerns about vitamin A toxicity. See, I'm on a strict diet right now so I log in everything I eat/drink into a health tracker app which counts all nutrients along with calories. Logging in my dosage of spirulina and chlorella together, my DV for vitamin A comes to over 600%... So that leads me to be worried about vitamin A toxicity and I was just wondering for anyone who was taking larger doses f spirulina and chlorella for longer periods of time to treat acne, did you ever get any symptoms like dry rough skin, hair loss, dry eyes, anything like that? The hair loss is a big one for me, cause I've readit can slow hair growth and I'm trying to grow out a terrible short hair cut which tanked my confidence levels, and right now getting my hair back to a good length is as big a priority to me as clearing my acne. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? Thanks so much :)

MemberMember
(@greenredblue)

Posted : 01/27/2018 10:21 am

Hey Alana,
Don't worry about vitamin A toxicity from spirulina as it only contains the precursor to vitamin a in beta-carotene. Essentially, when you take in a large amount of beta-carotene, your body only converts what it needs to vitamin A.
Have a look at these links to put your mind at further ease:
http://www.nutri-facts.org/en_US/nutrients/carotenoids/beta-carotene/safety.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20980645?dopt=Abstract