Notifications
Clear all

Anyone recommend a foundation that doesn't break you out?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/05/2016 4:22 am

Hello everyone. So unfortunately my skin is getting worse again and I need higher coverage than my current BB Cream that I've been using for the past year can provide. :( Does anyone have any recommendations for a light liquid foundation or potentially a high coverage BB Cream that doesn't break you out? My skin is also really oily so anything that reduces shine is a bonus and long-wearing with spf because I do lots of exercise and outdoor stuff, but main thing is that it doesn't break me out. Thank you in advance!

MemberMember
(@eli_g)

Posted : 09/06/2016 3:14 am

I haven't had any problems with the Neutrogena skin clearing foundation, the Neutrogena healthy skin foundation, and the Maybelline Fit Me foundation, and the Loreal True Match. I gave up on BB creams because they just didn't provide enough coverage, and they all were pretty greasy after awhile.

I do want to suggest that you invest in a separate sunscreen, primer, mattifying powder, and setting spray. There is no foundation that is the be all and end all that you're looking for....you've gotta add a bit here and there. Plus no foundation ever has the amount of spf a person should be using.

Neutrogena is a good brand for sunscreens, in addiction to foundations. I've used their mineral one and their face one.....both leave a bit of a white cast if you're pretty tan or as brown as I am. But they do the job well so I don't mind it. Nyx has good primers....and Monistat chafing gel is a dupe for the Smashbox primer. The powder I use all the time is Nyx's Stay Matte but Not Flat, but I hear the one from Rimmel is good. Last, is a really good setting spray. Nyx has good ones, but I had to start using Urban Decay since Nyx stopped working on me.

Nothing has every kept the oilies at bay for the whole day, in my 18 years of using make up, but these have done a bang up job of controlling oil for most of the day. None of these products have given my skin any trouble, but everyone's skin is different. I hope you have luck finding what works for you.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/09/2016 5:57 am

Thank you for your reply! I live in the UK so normally find that the spf 15 or so that you find in a lot of foundations is plenty sufficient for our cloudy rainy weather, but I hear what you're saying about primers, powders etc. I'm a bit wary about putting quite that much on my face with how temperamental my skin is but will definitely look into some of the products you've mentioned :)

MemberMember
(@fade95)

Posted : 09/09/2016 6:45 am

Vichy Dermablend foundation! Great coverage, suits oily skin, high spf and non comedogenic.
Some people say it's high coverage but if I use this I can still see my freckles. It just really take the redness away and it feels like there's nothing on your skin :) 

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 09/09/2016 7:23 am

I second the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation.

If you want a higher coverage BB cream that is good for oily skin you can try Tarte's BB cream.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 09/09/2016 11:32 am

These are the foundations that to me have worked really well in terms of my oily skin. Plus these are all medium to high coverage and I have never had a problem with them breaking me out. Estee and MUFE are a bit on the pricier side but they are extremely long wearing and easy to blend. For the Revlon one, it has good staying power but you need to be quick cause it dries up pretty fast.

Estee Lauder Double Wear
Make Up Forever Mat Velvet
Revlon Colorstay (recommend using with a drop of your favorite facial oil to make application easier)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/12/2016 4:49 am

Thank you lovely people for all your recommendations! I will go shopping soon and see which of those suits me colour-wise and price-wise, although unfortunately we can't seem to get Neutrogena Healthy Skin here in the UK.

MemberMember
(@becki_rich)

Posted : 09/21/2016 10:06 pm

I have recently switched to Tarte BB cream. It's super light. And I top it off with Tarte pressed powder. The more coverage you want, the more you apply. good luck! It helped me with my oiliness big time!

MemberMember
(@mcpeekj)

Posted : 09/27/2016 3:54 pm

Neutragena Healthy Skin Primer and Foundation <3 They actually helped my skin!

MemberMember
(@skyedavis)

Posted : 09/27/2016 5:57 pm

You should use the clinique acne solutions liquid makeup its so good

MemberMember
(@jaejae-t)

Posted : 10/11/2016 8:52 am

If youre looking to get a good coverage for your acne/acne scars, I would definitely not recommend BB creams because they are known to have a much sheer coverage and are generally use to brighten and even the skin tone as opposed to providing coverage. Also, getting a foundation with a lower SPF (25 to 35) might be better if youre trying to avoid getting too oily. From previous experience, foundation with a high SPF tends to make me look like an oil slick, so I go with a low SPF foundation but prep with a high SPF gel sunscreen underneath as gel sunscreens are known to be better on oily, acne-prone skin. My go-to foundation right now is the Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless foundation; it mattifies, stays on for the longest time and conceals all the right things. I have personally had this foundation on a few times at the gym and it has never budge or smudge.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 10/11/2016 7:42 pm

Maybelline Fit Me Matte+Poreless foundation does not cause breakouts.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 10/28/2016 2:35 pm

I've always had sensitive and reactive skin, I've always had the best luck with Clinique foundations. Currently, I use Clinique Perfectly Real. It doesn't break me out or irritate my skin at all. It's also oil controlling which is amazing, because usually anything that is oil controlling clogs my pores instantly. Paired with a light dusting of their Blended Loose Powder and I can make it through a 10-12 hour day in tact.