HELP! Adult cystic ...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP! Adult cystic acne:(

MemberMember
(@jlruegg)

Posted : 09/02/2016 2:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I just joined this group in hopes that I may find some answers to my problem. I am a 31 year old female with awful hormonal cystic acne. I have an appointment to see the dermatologist in a few weeks and pray that I will be able to find something that works for my skin. I have been struggling with cystic acne for 15 years and am at my wits end! It is at a point now where I won't even leave the house. I am do embarrassed about the way I look. It's debilitating and completely crushing my self esteem. I've tried everything! Pro Active, Murad, prescription medication, change of diet, cut out dairy, sugar, wheat... nothing works! I cry almost every day... I am at a point now where I feel my only option is to go on Accutane. I've heard horrible things about this drug but from the research I have done, it's almost a guarantee that it will work. I also use Clindoxyl Gel which seems to work sometimes but when it comes to my special time of the month..there's no stopping those nasty little buggers from showing up. Does anyone have any advice?! Or medication that worked for them? I'll try anything to lessen my problem.
Thanks!

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 09/02/2016 3:33 pm

If it's hormonal, Have you tried spironolactone? It has worked wonders for me. It took quite awhile to kick in, but I do not break out anymore. It's been a lifesaver for me.

jlruegg liked
MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 09/02/2016 7:02 pm

have u tried a crazy strict diet? I'm 31 and had acne for 14+ years too and finally found a way to avoid the cystic breakouts. For the past 2 months I've stuck to

1. Breakfast - bowl of cereal
2. Lunch - Salad (Spinach leaves, steamed breast chicken, corn, kidney beans, carrot, hard boiled egg and baslamic vinegar dressing)
3. Pasta I cook at home or sushi and sashimi

I don't deviate the slightest and have found excuses to not go to dinner with any friends to avoid anything new. 

My skin tone looks better than ever :) I'm just waiting for the hyper-pigmentation to clear and then will start introducing new food one by one.

shmilyM and jlruegg liked
MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 09/02/2016 8:28 pm

Have you tried the pill? It worked wonders for me when I suddenly started getting cystic acne as an adult. It might not sound like the best option but if you've already tried everything and you're considering accutane then it might be your best bet to give it a go.

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 09/02/2016 9:31 pm

I've been struggling with adult acne since I was 20 I'm 23 now. My last break out was a couple weeks ago with horrible big pimples on my chin. I've always tried to maintain a great diet but ended up cheating but recently I've been determined to keep it clean and it has been working really well. If you eat a lot of veggies, fruit, and good meats you will clear up fast. The hard part is avoiding junk food... Also I've been using natural sea salt mixed with water. I had this allergic reaction to this product I was using and it cleared it right up as well as control my acne. I mix 18g of salt with 2 cups of water and leave it on my face in the shower for 5 mins then wash it off. What helped the most though is eating clean. Give it a try buy organic if you can. Traders joes has some cheap organic produce.

jlruegg liked
MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 09/02/2016 10:50 pm

1 hour ago, davidctino said:

I've been struggling with adult acne since I was 20 I'm 23 now. My last break out was a couple weeks ago with horrible big pimples on my chin. I've always tried to maintain a great diet but ended up cheating but recently I've been determined to keep it clean and it has been working really well. If you eat a lot of veggies, fruit, and good meats you will clear up fast. The hard part is avoiding junk food... Also I've been using natural sea salt mixed with water. I had this allergic reaction to this product I was using and it cleared it right up as well as control my acne. I mix 18g of salt with 2 cups of water and leave it on my face in the shower for 5 mins then wash it off. What helped the most though is eating clean. Give it a try buy organic if you can. Traders joes has some cheap organic produce.

what good meat do you mean by this?

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 09/04/2016 5:20 am

On September 2, 2016 at 8:50 PM, invisiblenetrix said:

Grass fed beef, wild caught fish, organic chicken/turkey

MemberMember
(@hader025)

Posted : 09/04/2016 4:11 pm

Have you ever triedRodan and Fields. I've personally been using them and have been loving it.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 09/05/2016 10:17 am

On 9/4/2016 at 8:20 PM, davidctino said:
On 9/3/2016 at 1:50 PM, invisiblenetrix said:

Grass fed beef, wild caught fish, organic chicken/turkey

Alright.. This organic thing interests me. I'll give it a shot.

MemberMember
(@jlruegg)

Posted : 09/13/2016 11:44 am

On 02/09/2016 at 4:33 PM, shadylee said:

If it's hormonal, Have you tried spironolactone? It has worked wonders for me. It took quite awhile to kick in, but I do not break out anymore. It's been a lifesaver for me.

No, I have yet to try that but I will definitely ask the dermatologist about this. Thank you so much!

Thank you for your replies everyone. I have completely cut out dairy and sugar from my diet and have yet to see a difference. It's been over a month of this new diet and yet to see at results. I cannot wait to see the dermatologist... I'm crying everyday and refusing to leave the house. It's crushing me completely!

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 09/30/2016 6:41 pm

I hope the doc helped you with what you needed.
I really like Spiro, as an adult in my 30's it has been a face-saver. Accutane doesn't work for us "older" ladies like it does for women in their teens/20s. From the research I did (also at my wits end) it helps while its being taken, but rebounds a few months after stopping and all those side effects and risks are for nothing. Also, because it's so drying, it ages skin faster- the last thing we need in our 30's and beyond!
Its so frustrating dealing with acne, and having to worry about aging skin needs too!!

The Spiro really makes a difference once you find that magic dose! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@greentea4ever)

Posted : 10/27/2016 12:42 am

have you tried anti inflammatory foid such as green tea, omega 3 and olive oil?

Are you eating peanut butter?

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 10/28/2016 10:44 pm

I started taking Carlson's cod liver oil, to add some vitamin A & D and omega-3s...it really seems to be helping...a lot. Accutane is basically an overdose of vitamin A, but it's like a ridiculously high overdose...like life-threatening. No way I'm ever doing that.

acnekid10 liked
MemberMember
(@mar28)

Posted : 11/29/2016 7:35 am

@jlruegg how have things gone please? As I am in the same boat and it is making me very sad :(