Notifications
Clear all

Is birth control necessary with accutane

MemberMember
(@narmis)

Posted : 09/01/2016 3:53 pm

Hey giys

My dermatologist has prescribed me back on accutane as my acne came back. ( I was previously on it 10mg twice a day for 8 months-but with another doctor).
This new doctor is putting me on 20mg a day but wants me to take it with birth control.
I didn't take birth control the last time and I am just wondering whether it is really necessary to take birth control considering I am not even sexually active at all?
I mean, why mess up my hormones and normal cycle if there is absolutely no need to ?
Lastly, if it really is necessary to be on birth control regardless of whether one is sexually active or not, is having the implant put in to my arm a safe decision? Because that is what has been recommended to me. I am also afraid of the side effects of nexplanon causing weight gain and more acne.
Please advise on what is best.
Thanks
MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 09/02/2016 7:48 am

If you are not sexually active then you don't have to! Abstinence is considered a form of birth control so when they ask for your two types of birth control you can just list that and condoms. That's what I did!

Do not feel pressured by your doc or others to go on it if you don't want/need to! I feel like doctors just like to push the pill on accutane patients because they don't like relying on the patients' word that they will just not have sex. Like why would we lie and then go trying to get pregnant while taking a drug that will cause birth defects? Lol, I don't get their logic.

MemberMember
(@hiheyhello)

Posted : 09/02/2016 9:37 am

I told my dermatologist I'm not sexually active due to religious reasons and he took my word for it and didn't prescribe birth control alongside accutane. but at the same time it makes sense for Drs to do so because it's best practice and they wouldn't want to be held accountable for any potential birth defects. It's just their job, has nothing to do with them not trusting you! But if you know you're absolutely sure you won't be having sex then no, there's no reason you have to put your body through all of that. Worst case scenario, you take emergency contraception (morning after pill).

And if I may ask, how many months or years later did your acne come back? And is it the same severity? Because I'm on the same dose and worried about relapsing...

MemberMember
(@keykei)

Posted : 09/05/2016 8:10 am

On September 2, 2016 at 8:48 AM, kelbell812 said:

If you are not sexually active then you don't have to! Abstinence is considered a form of birth control so when they ask for your two types of birth control you can just list that and condoms. That's what I did!

Do not feel pressured by your doc or others to go on it if you don't want/need to!

I was just looking in my Ipledge book and abstinence is not listed as one of there acceptable forms of birth control for primary/ secondary ( maybe the changed it) we also gotta keep in mind Ipledge makes the rules not our docs ( if your in the US) and they want you to have (2) forms of BC. I would suggest you call Ipledge to hear it from them if they will accept abstinence 1-866-495-0654

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 09/05/2016 1:34 pm

5 hours ago, Keykei said:

I was just looking in my Ipledge book and abstinence is not listed as one of there acceptable forms of birth control for primary/ secondary ( maybe the changed it) we also gotta keep in mind Ipledge makes the rules not our docs ( if your in the US) and they want you to have (2) forms of BC. I would suggest you call Ipledge to hear it from them if they will accept abstinence 1-866-495-0654

That's interesting. I would probably ask the doc or call about that because that doesn't make sense! And yes I know the docs don't make the rules but taking BC is not a rule- if you are not having sex for personal or religious reasons they should not push it on you. My doc didn't even mention BC when I was taking it because she already knew I was not sexually active. Abstinence is and should be considered birth control because it IS the only one that is 100% effective haha.