Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there any hope for this horrific scarring?

Hello. I am 20 years old and take a look at what the result of an incompetent dermatologist, naive and uninformed 17 year old mind and 1 bout of Cystic Acne has done to my skin. 

Please Bare in mind this is under good-lighting and the camera has a MegaPixel of 0.3 so in reality, the scarring and texture of my skin is much worse. 

What is your opinion? Would you classify this scarring as mild, moderate or severe?

20160829_190354.jpg20160829_190616.jpg20160829_190653.jpg20160829_190659.jpg20160829_190709.jpg20160829_190716.jpg

What would you recommend I do? It has basically ruined my life. And hypothetically, if I were to visit an experienced and caring dermatologist today and am able to spend a decent amount of money - what do you think I could expect in terms of improvement? I do not want to give up hope, The last year and a half of my life has been ruined but I do not want it to ruin any more of it, I am sick of it. (Yes I am dramatic, I have been told this before)

And do you think I am overreacting? Honesty is the only thing I request from you people. 

Thanks, assuming anyone responds.

Edited by Guest

I do not know if I can really give an honest opinion given that the photo isn't that clear. 

Based on the photo it doesn't look that bad. Having been in this community for a while you see all types of scarring and there are far much worse than what you have. Does that make you feel better hearing that? Probably not but I am just saying we can always help each other in terms of what works and what doesn't.

Have you tried any sort of acne scar fading topicals? I use the Acne.org AHA. This helps a lot with dark marks left behind acne and evens out skin tone. Although it doesn't do much in terms of deep ice pick scars, it does improve the overall texture of your skin which I find really helps a lot. 

I woul classify it as moderate. Perhaps zinc and vitamin a could help. This is what im using and it helps a little, but whenever i stop using either one of them the effect stops and the skin goes back to what it was like before. I really need a good dermatologist too.

1 hour ago, nicmic62 said:

I do not know if I can really give an honest opinion given that the photo isn't that clear. 

Based on the photo it doesn't look that bad. Having been in this community for a while you see all types of scarring and there are far much worse than what you have. Does that make you feel better hearing that? Probably not but I am just saying we can always help each other in terms of what works and what doesn't.

Have you tried any sort of acne scar fading topicals? I use the Acne.org AHA. This helps a lot with dark marks left behind acne and evens out skin tone. Although it doesn't do much in terms of deep ice pick scars, it does improve the overall texture of your skin which I find really helps a lot. 

tbh I am not even considering topicals. I am going to go to a dermatologist I trust and find out the best course of action in terms of treatments. but first I need to get rid of all mycurrent active mild acne as well as make sure I am 100% healthy(going to doctor tomorrow) before I go to the derm again.

There are multiple photos. However,  I shall take some more photographs under the light of day(the worst light) with an HD photographers camera in order to get better feedback tomorrow. Thanks for replying though. Edited by Guest

It is definitely not that bad. You have two of them that are slightly bigger so subcision for those would be a good choice. Then you can do micro-needling 4x times 2-3 months apart. It takes about 1-2 months to see results from subcision and 6-12 months to see results from micro-needlng... After that fillers might be necessary. Be realistic but since you're young you can have 80% improvement, up to the point where it isn't all that visible to other people. The boxcar ones are the tricky ones, the rolling ones you could potentially fix completely. Just depends on how your skin reacts and heals. 

But, tbh you should also seek out professional help (psychological) because this scarring should definitely not be affecting you like this. Understand that yep your skin does look slightly 'different' but that doesn't mean it should negatively change your life. It's just skin yeah? You still have your face and all. 

Edited by il90

It's not horrific bro, come visit California if you have time, every other Asian dude here has acne scars worse than yours.  Having acne and scars is definately less than ideal. But in your case there are lots of procedures to significantly improve your scars, if you were just off of accutane, give it 6 months before any procedures.

The real horrific scars are keloid scars, dented scars are barely noticable in comparison. 

"Horrific scarring"

It needs to be addressed no doubt, since perfection seems to be the bare-minimum in 2016. It detracts from your overall attracticveness (especially for those who already lack harmony) but to call it "horrific" is excessive. Horrific is what me and some others have, what you have is childs-play.

Edited by ChildhoodDreams