Notifications
Clear all

Red face/nose after shower. Rosacea?

MemberMember
(@jakobs)

Posted : 08/26/2016 9:59 am

Hey! I'm a 17 year old male and have had problems with red face after showers for a few years now. But it seems to get worse now when my acne is worse. When I shower my face,especially nose gets red a few minutes after. 
The thing is that sometimes I don't get red at all after showering, and sometimes i get really red. I'll show a picture of when my face is the worst. My face also get very red easily when exercising. 
I dont know if i have rosacea or not, as im only 17. For a lot of people their acne seems to go away after their teens. Could the facial redness also do that? As i think it is linked with my hormones/acne
Btw i do moisturize my face after every wash (twice aday)

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@rosaceasingapore)

Posted : 09/01/2016 12:13 pm

You should see a dermatologist to determine if you have rosacea. It does look pretty red.

If your skin gets red after showering, try not letting hot water touch your face. Wash and rinse your face with cool / or slightly warm water only and see if you have any improvements.

Rosacea is chronic, and the condition flares and goes into remission at times. Which may explain why sometimes you have the redness and sometimes none.

MemberMember
(@cheerfulflow)

Posted : 10/22/2016 2:39 pm

Hey i just made a thread about this, but try taking completely cold showers. The steam from the hot water is what may be causing the redness.

MemberMember
(@stephen-j)

Posted : 10/22/2016 8:15 pm

This happens to me whenever I take hot showers, but it usually only lasts about 15-30 minutes after I get out. How long does it usually take for the redness to go away? Also, whenever you are rinsing your face (if you use the showerhead as a way to rinse) make sure you have it on warm.

Do you get redness anywhere else on your body after you take a shower, or is it just in your face?

MemberMember
(@sophia_bri)

Posted : 11/14/2016 1:12 pm

Hey everyone! My name is Sophia and I am new here :) This subject intrigued me since I have been dealing with rosacea for a few years.  

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 11/15/2016 10:05 am

Take cold shower or lukewarm water instead of hot shower no matter how cold the weather is. As long as it is the same temperature as your body's.
Hot water opens the pores, promotes blood circulation. It sometimes gets rid of the essential oil on your face. Personally, I don't take hot shower for too long. My average bath time is around 10 minutes, including brushing teeth.
Bottom line:
- Take cold shower
- Use moisturiser
- Use toner to sooth the skin
- Avoid washing your face with cleanser for too long. 20 seconds are enough.
- Wash your face gently, like wash a baby

MemberMember
(@jakobs)

Posted : 11/16/2016 3:05 am

16 hours ago, shmilyM said:

Take cold shower or lukewarm water instead of hot shower no matter how cold the weather is. As long as it is the same temperature as your body's.
Hot water opens the pores, promotes blood circulation. It sometimes gets rid of the essential oil on your face. Personally, I don't take hot shower for too long. My average bath time is around 10 minutes, including brushing teeth.
Bottom line:
- Take cold shower
- Use moisturiser

Thank You! Now when it's colder outside I've been taking really warm showers. I will try taking cold ones!

On 2016-10-23 at 3:15 AM, Stephen J said:

This happens to me whenever I take hot showers, but it usually only lasts about 15-30 minutes after I get out. How long does it usually take for the redness to go away? Also, whenever you are rinsing your face (if you use the showerhead as a way to rinse) make sure you have it on warm.

Do you get redness anywhere else on your body after you take a shower, or is it just in your face?

It usually lasts for around 15-30 min for me aswell. Very rarely for up to an hour.
No it's only my face that turns red. The rest of my body looks completely normal

MemberMember
(@sophia_bri)

Posted : 11/23/2016 5:15 am

On 11/15/2016 at 4:05 PM, shmilyM said:

Bottom line:
- Take cold shower
- Use moisturiser

@shmilyM
These are great tips, especially the part where you suggest gently face wash, I think it is important part of beauty routine for sensitive skin. I was wondering is there any particular product you would like to suggest? This month I bought Guinot Gentle Cleanser but still waiting for results :) And what do you think about oil-based skincare, is it good or bad for our skin type?

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 11/23/2016 7:22 am

@Sophia_Bri , I read some posts on this forum, these 2 candidates are said to be quite gentle (& high rating on amazon too)
-Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
-CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
I have yet to try oil-based skincare. Too much oil cause me easy to clog pores & break me out.
Currently, I don't use gentle cleanser because I am the oily-skin type.
Hope these may help.

MemberMember
(@sophia_bri)

Posted : 11/24/2016 5:03 am

21 hours ago, shmilyM said:
@Sophia_Bri , I read some posts on this forum, these 2 candidates are said to be quite gentle (& high rating on amazon too)
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
I have yet to try oil-based skincare. Too much oil cause me easy to clog pores & break me out. 
Currently, I don't use gentle cleanser because I am the oily-skin type.
Hope these may help.

@shmilyM
Thank you for the suggestions :) Please let me know if oil-based cosmetics works for you.  I also want to ask have you tried coconut oil as a basic skincare?

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 11/24/2016 8:56 am

I am a male so I don't wear make up.
Coconut oil is great for eating.
Below are oil products to apply on face I recommend. Do your research, and find the best suit with your skin type.
- Kiara Phytoceuticals Argan oil
- Trilogy rosehip oil
-Skinceuticals CE Ferulic serum
*I am by no means an expert. Acne treatment should be a holistic inside out approach. Everybody is different. I am still experimenting what work for me.
Hope this helps @Sophia_Bri

MemberMember
(@sophia_bri)

Posted : 11/24/2016 3:03 pm

6 hours ago, shmilyM said:

I am a male so I don't wear make up.
Coconut oil is great for eating. 
Below are oil products to apply on face I recommend. Do your research, and find the best suit with your skin type. 
- Kiara Phytoceuticals Argan oil
- Trilogy rosehip oil
- Skinceuticals “ CE Ferulic serum
*I am by no means an expert. Acne treatment should be a holistic inside out approach. Everybody is different. I am still experimenting what work for me. 
Hope this helps @Sophia_Bri

@shmilyM It really helps, thanks a lot :)