Notifications
Clear all

Part I: Acne is No Longer the Enemy

MemberMember
(@marbleartist)

Posted : 08/22/2016 7:30 pm

I used to have pretty bad acne. Not anything close to cystic as some people on this site have proven to have, but pretty bad. I remember when I used to fret over all of my pimples. But that does not compare at all to now.

Ever since I left home a year and a half ago to find myself, I have developed a much worse condition. It is a skin condition characterized by inflammation, large chunks of flaking skin and bumps. I have done quite a bit of research, and I believe it is seborrheic dermatitis, or perhaps an extreme case of psoriasis combined with rosacea. Right now it occasionally under control, however nine months ago it was extremely bad. My whole face would be beet red with flaking skin all over it, and I had to be outside in the sun doinggrounds crew work with fellow sailorsevery single day. It really is a bummer having horrible skin conditions in the military.

This condition has led my life by the wrists for this past year, and I want it to go away. Everyday my face hurts. It is almost as if my skin is not real. I hate when people make comments about it, as I do not know how to explain it. I should go to medical to seek professional treatment and help for it, but I am too embarrassed. I do not know. I know that would give a bigger shit about life and my job if this condition would go away. I do not want to have to deal with this while on deployment.

I know the clear answeris to seekprofessional help, and to not face this mountain alone. I am currently undergoing a different medical issue that might need surgery at the moment, so perhaps I will pursue this possible seborrheic dermatitis after that is all cleared up.

Do any of you deal with terrible flaking and bumpy, grainy inflammation? Does your skineasily scrape offas if it is fake? I wonder if I am theonly one on these forums facing these issues.

Anyway, I will be continuing to write on here like I used to two years ago. You guys know what it is like to be considered a freak, to be looked down upon for something you have no control over. We all stand here in solidarity. At least, I would like to.

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 08/22/2016 9:43 pm

OK, my question is - what have you tried so far to treat it?
I have been having weird breakout first time in a few years, and was just reading about seborrheic dermatitiswondering if that I what I have. I got this breakout after I had my first pumpkin peel.Anyways, I got CeRave lotion I have not used for a while, and back to my Maracuja oil.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 08/23/2016 7:57 am

I can relate at least a little, though my skin is not quiet as bad. I caught mine early and went right to the derm. While treating my acne I started to develop mild Seborrheic Dermatitis on my face - I got the redness, the burning/itching sensation, the dry/greasy patches, etc. My acne was finally gone, but now it has been replaced by this new, lovely skin condition! (lol)

The doc gave me a cream to help treat it called Ketoconazole 2%, which I use at night. I have also started using a cleanser at night that I recently discovered called "Dermadoctor Calm Cool & Corrected Tranquility Cleanser", which is a cleanser specifically formulated for those with this condition and contains 2% Pyrithione Zinc. It's pretty pricey, but it's the only cleanser I've found so far that is specifically geared towards people with Seb Derm so I was like whatever. I exfoliate twice a week with an exfoliating cleanser to regularly get rid of flakes and dead skin, followed by a face mask. Sometimes I use manuka honey and sometimes I use this other mask for troubled skin that I got from the drug store. I also use a light-weight, water-based moisturizer.