Notifications
Clear all

Caveman Regimen makes my acne worse? (pics)

MemberMember
(@natalii21)

Posted : 08/10/2016 10:43 am

Sooo I made this account just to start this topic because I took a picture of my skin today and it looks soo bad. I started the caveman regimen a little more than 3 weeks ago and yes i know I should at least try it out for 2 months but i really need some advice (feel free to ask for background etc). Any advice would be helpful please. image.jpg
this is how my skin looked before i started doing the caveman regimen so around 3 weeks ago
image.jpg
and this is how it looks right now 

MemberMember
(@gabae)

Posted : 08/12/2016 9:21 pm

Hi Natalii, were you on a specific acne-combating skincare routine before trying the caveman? From my understanding (I've been doing a lot of research throughout the net and forums) your skin will experience some sort of purging/withdrawal from your acne products. Most especially if any of them contain benzoyl peroxide, this I know for sure because I am experiencing a breakout from stopping Dan's regimen cold turkey. It's been 2 months and other people say that it takes 4-6 months for your skin to come back to normal.
I'd say stick with it if you can bear it, 80-90% of people who've tried it usually reported positive outcomes (less redness, etc)

natalii21 liked
MemberMember
(@natalii21)

Posted : 08/13/2016 5:45 am

I was on benzoyl peroxide for some time but stopped using it around 3 months ago and i was just using face masks and a lot of moisturizer + spottreatment and a toner before i started doing caveman which seemed to be working fine for my skin. I was honestly just tired of my routine and thought that i won't want to be using products and hoping for them to work for the rest of my life. (i also have back and chest acne and im doing the caveman for them too - i forgot to say that im doing the method where i use water in the shower every night) Im going to stick with it for a month or two longer but i got really scared that the purging is still happening after a month since in the first two weeks it was really really bad - im talking big white pimples that itched like crazy. Now it calmed down quite a bit but i still get a loot of little white pimples and clogged pores. The plus is I didn't have any cystic acne throughout the whole caveman regimen.

MemberMember
(@gabae)

Posted : 08/15/2016 2:28 am

Hang in there, Natalii! I've been scouring the internet for success stories of people who managed to get of Benzoyl Peroxide after just a couple of months and couldn't find any. Some people who actually report back on their skin condition said they only got better after 5-9 months. The withdrawal process is really harsh, all my pores are clogging and erupting to these small comedones on the first month and they are still there :/

I've used natural skincare (Kypris), Sunday Riley (Good genes and luna), Paula's choice BHA, Dan's AHA, Sudocrem, Desitin (can you tell I'm desperate?) with little to no result. I think switching things too often actually make my face worse and it might be my fault for not giving the products enough time to work as well. But I get so frustrated waking up in the morning to a red-irritated face and even more inflammation. I figure what my skin really needs is a break because it's going haywire from being smothered in BP for 4 years  and taken off of it.

I recommended acne.org regimen to my little sister and my friend who are struggling to get of BP as well.

My skin has actually getting better since I've started the water only  4 days ago, I am hopeful that it continues to get better. And have you thought of supplements? I am ordering Zinc Picolinate and can't wait to try them since people say it has been a big help for the oils and cystic acne. I am bombarded with reviews about supplements. Perhaps you can do a little research about them to see if any of them might work for you?

Here are the cheatsheet of what I have learned these past few months:

Cod Liver Oil -- Most people say it helps with cystic acne and the general condition of their skin (less oily , etc)
Saw Palmetto -- Most women say these have worked wonderfully for their hormonal cystic acne, it regulates hormon and combat PCOS
Vitex -- Same with Saw Palmetto in the hormone area but they do different things.
Fenugreek & Milk Thistle -- Helping your liver to flush out toxins.
Psyllium Husk -- To regulate your intestinal health
Probiotic --  This is becoming a trend to combat acne, people say  it really does help their acne
Zinc Picolinate -- Helps regulate hormones, combat oily sebum and kills acne as well

MemberMember
(@natalii21)

Posted : 08/15/2016 3:31 pm

Yes I tried even with supplements and after my acne got really bad and painful after taking vit d i went and got a blood test for almost all supplements and they all came back okay so im guessing there's nothing wrong with that but i think my acne might be hormonal so the caveman regimen won't work if that's the case but i wanted to try it out anyways. Now I'm having a low point i would say bc everything o my skin is so clogged everywhere and it just looks awful and i expected to see some results by the first month and the only thing im seeing is my acne getting worse. But im gonna keep going because im just stubborn like that i guess. Also good luck to you with this regimen i hope it works out for you

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/15/2016 8:24 pm

I agree with others that the withdrawl period from products can be brutal. it can take up to a few months to a year to reach baseline so hang in there. At the very least, give it 6 months.

MemberMember
(@natalii21)

Posted : 08/17/2016 10:40 am

I don't really know if i can do this for that long if i don't see any improvements at all so i plan on going back to light natural skin care after 3 months without better results. i'm still hoping for it to work though. I guess the worst thing is clogged pores all over the face still and a lot more pimples on my back too which is making me pretty sad since it's summer. i really appreciate the feedback

MemberMember
(@gabae)

Posted : 08/18/2016 8:19 am

On 8/17/2016 at 10:40 PM, natalii21 said:

I don't really know if i can do this for that long if i don't see any improvements at all so i plan on going back to light natural skin care after 3 months without better results. i'm still hoping for it to work though. I guess the worst thing is clogged pores all over the face still and a lot more pimples on my back too which is making me pretty sad since it's summer. i really appreciate the feedback ˜ºï¸

I think 3 months is a good time limit for this regimen :)

As for me, I realized that not using moisturizer is actually helping my comedones and tiny bumps go away (at least not multiplying). So basically what I've gotten from this (using distilled water) caveman regimen is that my skin tone is a lot more even, I only get red in my actual cystic acne spots. Before, almost my whole cheek area is inflamed and congested.

I Just received my zinc picolinate today and have the nettle leaf, milk thistle, and cod liver on the way. I will update you time to time about the regimen as well :)))

Here's to kicking acne's ass!! *crossedfingers

MemberMember
(@natalii21)

Posted : 08/18/2016 9:54 am

That's nice! good luck!! alsoo my update is: my forehead is almost clear. my problem areas are my cheeks and my chin but since i started the caveman my forehead was covered in little bumps and i could see the pores almost pushing out dirt or whatever that was so i guess it's done now. im just hoping the same happens for the rest of my face. there are a lot of blackheads on my chin now but i think they will all eventually start to push the toxins out like the pores on my forehead so im hopeful.

MemberMember
(@gabae)

Posted : 08/23/2016 11:51 pm

On 8/18/2016 at 9:54 PM, natalii21 said:

That's nice! good luck!! alsoo my update is: my forehead is almost clear. my problem areas are my cheeks and my chin but since i started the caveman my forehead was covered in little bumps and i could see the pores almost pushing out dirt or whatever that was so i guess it's done now. im just hoping the same happens for the rest of my face. there are a lot of blackheads on my chin now but i think they will all eventually start to push the toxins out like the pores on my forehead so im hopeful.

Hi, Natali! Any update? As for me, I don't think what i'm doing can be called 'caveman regimen' per say. My routine is not washing my face in the morning, and just using flannel soaked with distilled water to wipe my face at night.

My face is doing great (knock on wood), the scarring/hyperpigmentation is horrible but I'm just glad there's no more cystic acne popping out. As for the hundreds of closed comedones, my main takeaway of this whole regimen is that my face hates moisturizer! I've been on BP for so long that I didn't think twice of slathering my face in all kinds of moisturizer. I think now that I don't use BP, moisturizer is an overkill for my skin. The clogged pores have been slowly going away since I stopped using moisturizer. Now I just use an exfoliating toner every other day, I'm using Biologique Recherche P50 and Paula's choice 2% bha liquid interchangeably. Have been taking the supplements too, so that might have something to do with how good my skin as as well. Let me know how it goes with you :))

My skincare: Water+Flannel Cloth+Exfoliating Toner

MemberMember
(@natalii21)

Posted : 08/24/2016 4:19 pm

I'm happy the things you're doing are making your skin better! I don't use anything on my face but water so it can't be moisturizer but I do wear makeup sometimes and when i do i take it off with water and argan oil but i don't think it makes a difference. My forehead is soooo smooth now and my cheeks are doing better - almost all red pimples are gone and im just left with clogged pores. My chin is not doing that well but it's my most problematic place and I think it's going to take some time since i was using the most products there. So far i'm still hopeful :) Also my back isn't getting better at all but I used harsh products there too so I think it just needs more time.