Notifications
Clear all

How to fight off strong sugar cravings?

MemberMember
(@hanie)

Posted : 08/05/2016 2:27 pm

Hi guys,

I had really terrible cystic acne almost two years ago now and since then it's cleared up with some red Post Acne Erythema marks on my cheeks which are really difficult to get rid of unless I pay some good $$$ for laser treatment but I'm a senior in college so that's obviously not happening any time soon.
Anyways, when I do break out these days it's from hormones when I'm on or near my period OR when I eat sugar/fried foods.

Sugar is my biggest weakness. I almost never eat candy but I get sugar from baked goods mostly and occasionally ice cream. How can I stop these strong sugar cravings? Sometimes I can't sleep because I'm thinking about sugar? Could this also be a health issue like is my body trying to tell me something? I rarely get cysts anymore but when I do it appears after a sugar binge and I get white heads after I eat greasy foods like chips. How the heck do you guys fight off cravings? Let me know! I feel like it'll really improve my skin if I stop eating sugar but I can't seem to stop.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@bmx)

Posted : 08/05/2016 4:53 pm

you can study more about nutrition & sugar, eventually calories (to know that sugar it's not good and to don't think at it)  and replace the sugar with stevia or non-calorie spices. Learn how to make sweets with good ingredients like stevia  (but i read that it contain dextroze and maltodextroze but anyway it's better than sugar). The less carbs, the better health :)

And if you like chocolate, eat dark chocolate. The darker, the better health !!!

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 08/05/2016 7:10 pm

There is a marvelous amino acid called l-glutamine. It will instantly stop a sugar craving in its tracks. Sugar AND alcohol. which are very much the same thing. I am a fellow sugar addict--I can definitely relate. Get the l-glutamine in its free form. When a sugar craving hits you, just shovel a heaping teaspoonful into your mouth and either let it dissolve or swallow it with a gulp of water. The powder is tasteless--a tad sweet. Pleasant tasting, anyway. And it's not terribly expensive at all.

Coincidentally, l-glutamine taken on an empty stomach will also help heal a tattered gut lining--which plenty of us could benefit from.

And yes, you're right--this is definitely your body telling you something is wrong. Those sugar cravings are literally the colonies of fungal overgrowth in your body screaming at you to feed them. Gross, right?

I would recommend googling Dr. Julia Ross to learn more about sugar addiction and amino acid therapy. I could honestly watch her lectures for hours. She recommends that sugar addicts supplement with glutamine for a few months--I believe 500mg 3-4 times a day? But personally, when I first quit sugar, I need 1,000-3,000mg every few hours.

Here's a goodie as well: [removed]

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 08/05/2016 7:29 pm

Stevia (let's be honest) is pretty freaking disgusting. For me, discovering Monk Fruit Extract was like...voices singing down from heaven. For a sugar addict, anyway. All this below is amazing. But not as amazing as how good it actually tastes.  

Health Benefits of Monk Fruit  

1. Fights Free Radicals

Monk fruit™s mogrosides, the compounds that give it its intense sweetness, are also powerful antioxidants. Oxidative stress plays a part in many diseases and disorders, and choosing high-antioxidant foods is the key to reducing free radical damage in the body.

Studies have shown that mogrosides œsignificantly inhibited reactive oxygen species and DNA oxidative damage (12). The fact that the same monk fruit ingredients that provide antioxidants also provide a no-calorie sweetener makes it nothing less than a superfood. 

2. Lowers Risk of Obesity and Diabetes

Sugar is incredibly damaging when consumed in the amounts that most Americans do today. It™s estimated Americans consume 130 pounds of sugar per year, as opposed to our ancestors in the early 1800s who averaged about 10 pounds. This surge in sugar intake has ballooned obesity rates, as well as cases of diabetes.

Although there are a number of artificial sweeteners available, the side effects of sugar substitutes like aspartame make them more harmful than the natural stuff. Monk fruit extract does not affect blood sugar the way natural sugars do ” providing the sweet flavor we strongly crave without the damaging side effects.

Using monk fruit sweetener can help those already suffering from obesity and diabetes from furthering their condition because it works as a natural obesity treatment. (3) Another benefit is that the sweetener is extracted from non-GMO fruit, unlike table sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

3. Acts as an Anti-Inflammatory and Coolant

Ancient Chinese usage of this fruit included drinking tea made from the boiled fruit to cool the body from external and internal sources and ailments from fever to heat stroke. It was also used to soothe a sore throat. This method worked because of monk fruit™s anti-inflammatory abilities.

Inflammation can cause a host of issues throughout the body, and many modern anti-inflammatory medications come with harmful side effects, such as liver damage. Using monk fruit is a natural way to fight inflammation. Many studies prove its anti-inflammatory powers are most likely the reason it™s able to positively affect so many other diseases and disorders. (45). 

4. Helps Treat and Prevent Cancer

Scores of studies have proven the anti-carcinogenic effects of the natural sweeteners contained in monk fruit. From studies displaying its abilities in inhibiting skin and breast tumor growth to providing proteins that have potent anticancer abilities, monk fruit is a great warrior in the fight against cancer. There is irony in the fact that other sweeteners are proven to increase the risk of cancer, while monk fruit sweetener has the power to reduce it (67, 8, 9).

5. Combats Infections

When treating bacterial infections, antibiotics are widely overused. Natural antimicrobial agents are a much better option to fight off infections to slow the ongoing surge ofantibiotic resistance. Monk fruit has shown incredible results in inhibiting the growth of bacteria, specifically oral bacteria that cause tooth decay and periodontal disease (1011).

These studies have also shown the fruit™s ability to fight some forms of candida symptoms and overgrowth, like oral thrush, which when left untreated can affect many other body systems.

6. Fights Fatigue

In a study on mice, monk fruit extracts were successful in decreasing fatigue in exercising mice. The study was able to reproduce the results and prove that mice given the extract had extended exercise times (12). This study may give evidence as to why monk fruit has long been referred to as the œlongevity fruit.

7. Naturally Treats Diabetes

This fruit was used as an antidiabetic by the Chinese for centuries. Aside from being a proven antihyperglycemic (which helps bring down the blood glucose levels in the body), studies have also shown targeted antioxidant abilities toward pancreatic cells, allowing better insulin secretion in the body (1314). Thus, monk fruit works well as anatural diabetes treatment.

The antidiabetic abilities of the monk fruit are associated with its high levels of mogrosides. (15) Better insulin secretion is a major part of improving diabetic patients™ health, and monk fruit has even shown results in reducing kidney damage and other diabetes-related issues. (16) As a sweetener with a low glycemic index, it™s also a way for those struggling with diabetes to be able to enjoy a sweet flavor without the concern of affecting or worsening their diabetic condition. (17)

8. Works as a Natural Antihistamine

Monk fruit extract, when used repeatedly, has shown an ability to fight allergic reactions as well. In a study with mice, monk fruit was administered repeatedly to mice exhibiting nasal rubbing and scratching due to histamines. The study showed that œboth the [lo han kuo] extract and glycoside inhibited the histamine release in the test subjects. (18)

https://draxe.com/monk-fruit/

MemberMember
(@hanie)

Posted : 08/05/2016 10:44 pm

Thank you so so much! Definitely will look intol-glutamine!

And monk fruit! Had no idea that even existed--thanks again!

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 08/06/2016 5:22 am

One word - Mindfulness. 

I've used this to master self discipline.

Just google or buy a book for it :)

MemberMember
(@ironmotivation)

Posted : 08/06/2016 4:44 pm

I say chew gum, they have Sugar Free ones (with some other type of sweet flavoring of course). Or just when you feel like eating sugar, ask yourself, if it is worth it and if it's what you really want