Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics (Doxycycline) No Longer Working.

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 08/02/2016 3:49 pm

Hello,

Oh I have written so many posts I am beginning to just, loose it. Of course I had a pretty large break (about a 5 year break) from coming on this website because I was 99% clear on BeYaz Birth Control and 100mg of Spironolactone. But I am now 25, and about a year ago, something happened, and it just started coming back. The big giant cysts, but this time also, something else different - a ton of under the skin tiny whitehead bumps speckled all over my face. Immediately I just lost it, and as the months went on (and me trying EVERYTHING, I mean everything. Everything the dermatologist threw at me and I even tried the whole natural side and worked with a naturopath, getting off all meds -) it just continued to get worse and worse. So here I am about a year later, I stopped working with the naturopath and it has been a few months now back on BeYaz Birth Control & Spironolactone 150mg (I took it up 50mg). And NOTHING. I'm even on Clindamyacin, and I am waiting about another month to start a retinol. What is really worrying me is that I am also on 200mg of Doxycycline, for 2.5 weeks now, and I have absolutely no change. This used to be my last resort drug that I have taken a few times when I had a random flare up of cysts, and they would IMMEDIATELY flatten without 2 days. At first, I thought possibly just all of my hormones have changed (I have been tested: I have low Estrogen, normal Progesterone, and high Testosterone.) Which makes sense why the Spironolactone worked wonders, for me for 5 years, and the BC helped bump up my Estrogen. I still think possibly a hormonal change could have been why my skin has changed and become so bad again just like high school. Its very odd that my Estrogen is so low, but could make sense because I was tested 2.5 months after I came off birth control, but it is also odd that my Progesterone was normal, as THAT should have been at 0 for months after coming off birth control, which makes me think maybe I'm having too high Progesterone now. My skin is clearest a few days before my period, and during my period (When Progesterone is at its lowest, and Estrogen is higher). And my skin is at its worse during the middle of my cycle (when Progesterone is at its highest). So yea, along with my Testosterone being high, maybe now my Estrogen and Progesterone are just so messed up - BUT, the antibiotic doesn't work anymore. This is an odd clue, because it really should, and it has brilliantly before. This makes me think, either I have become resistant to Doxycycline, and possibly the whole Cycline family. Or what is causing my constant breakouts is viral. The strangest symptom I have also been noticing is very sore joints, especially in my knees, and my elbows. It is a sort of burning radiating ache, that is the worst at night, and sometimes wakes me up because I have to move them to another position. I thought this could be from the low Estrogen, but I have been back on the Birth Control pill for over a month now, that should not be a problem any longer, and honestly to be 25 and actually have joint pain from that low of Estrogen there is something pretty wrong about that - BUT I am thinking maybe the inflammation in my joints is being caused by something else, some type of viral infection.

So, can anyone give their advice/story on what happened to them when their antibiotics no longer worked? Did you ever find out why? What are you doing now?

Thanks!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@alex20978)

Posted : 08/27/2016 10:05 pm

Hey!!!

I know you posted this almost a month ago but I feel your pain. If you look at my older post my cheeks broke out like you described, thousands of tiny white under the skin bumps back in May - due to STRESS. My father was diagnosed with cancer, I was moving and also changing jobs (all at the same time).

I'm still in the middle of my journey to get clear - long story short, my doctor put me on BC as well to help even out my hormones during this stressful time in my life (I am also 25 years old.... maybe it's something to do with our age?) I have high testosterone as well.

One thing I can recommend that I know has helped me in the past two weeks is turning to anti inflammatory agents.
I too went to a naturopath for 3 months before starting the BC and that was a waste of money. BUT, there are certain things you can do to bring down inflammation in your body.

I use a honey/turmeric mask almost every night and it has really helped. Honey also helps with wound healing and to prevent scarring.
I use organic raw neem honey that I get at Whole Foods. They say to use manuka honey but it's expensive and the neem honey works just as well for me (I've used both).
I drink a cup of "golden milk" every night or twice a day. It's a mixture of coconut oil, turmeric, black pepper (to activate curcumin), ginger, cinnamon, almond milk and honey. (let me know if you want the exact recipe)
I drink 5 cups of green tea in the morning and 5 cups of various herbal teas in the afternoon (spearmint, Yogi's healthy skin, chamomile, tulsi turmeric ginger) depending on what I feel like. Green tea and spearmint tea are anti androgen!
I cut out coffee (since May), dairy, sugar, and wheat for the past two weeks (just until everything completely clears up).
Eat lots and lots and lots of green leafy veggies and fish (salmon).

I very much hope this helps you, even if only a little bit... just know this isn't permanent and try to be as positive as you can be!!! Good luck in this journey!