Notifications
Clear all

Lymecycline/Tetralysal induced Hairloss

MemberMember
(@averageacnejoe)

Posted : 07/29/2016 7:16 pm

Hi there. I'm an 18-year-old male who at the beginning of this year (January time) was prescribed an 8-week course of lymecycline for my moderate acne. This was the first time I had actively looked for medical help for my acne which I have been suffering from since I was 12. After about two weeks of using the drug (1 tablet a day) I began to notice a few more hairs falling when I was in the shower. I would say around 10-15 at first. I know that this is normal for many as we lose around a 100 hairs a day on average. I thought that maybe I wasn't losing any hair but that I was just noticing that we lose hair in the shower ( I never looked to see if I had any strands on my hands or in the plug before). So, this continued for the next two weeks until the hair began to really fall. At its worst I would say I was losing around 200-300 hairs in the shower every morning before school and I would see hair falling on my textbooks at school and in the hood of my jacket. This is when I began to become stressed. I searched on the internet to see if anyone else had experienced it and couldn't find any conclusive answers. And since it wasn't stated on as a side effect on the box I began to move away from the idea the lymecycline was the cause. Men In my family go bald at a young age, my Dad had already started balding by my age but very slowly (still has hair now at 50) and he said he never experienced a shed. My cousins who are both bald at 22 and 23 balded in the typical receding hairline pattern not in all over thinning like I was experiencing. At this point I was reaching the 7 week mark of treatment and started to really become depressed about the thought of being bald so young ( vain I know and probably quite an extreme thought but that was how I thinking at the time). I started searching men's hair loss forums, which just made things even worse.

After finishing my 8 week course of lymecycline, I went back my GP and talked to him about the hair loss situation who ruled out the lymecycline as the cause ( he didn't seem very knowledgeable in the area) so I took his word on it. Stupidly I began the next 8 week course completely confident that lymecycline was not the cause and that the family balding genes were taking their toll. I decided since the hair loss was getting worse I should tell my parents. My Dad just simply laughed ( not in a nasty sense) but because I have really really thick hair. He couldn't see how I with an absolute mountain of hair could even contemplate hair loss ( but it's got to start somewhere right ?). My mum, whose thick hair I inherited suggested it was the lymecycline but I told her that the GP had said it wasn't the cause and she admitted that the family's history of hair loss was not in my favour. So, at thispoint I continued the lymecycline course for another 2 weeks and the hair loss persisted. My Mum who could see that this was getting me down pretty much forced me to at least try to stop the course to see if it had any effect and lo and behold after about 10 days off the drug the hair began to stop falling. 3 months on my hair is pretty much back to it's healthy state with no signs of hair loss ( for now until the genes get me haha!).

* By the way I am in no way blaming my GP for my persistent hair loss. He wasn't to know, Doctors can't know everthing they're still human. I'm just saying that sometimes you have to take an intiative approach.

I thought I would just make this post cause I could have really have done with reading a post like this at the time to maybe make me contemplate the less common side effects of antibiotics like lymecycline? Has anyone else experienced similar hair loss because of lymecycline? was it a gradual increase or..?

MemberMember
(@daniel-jackett)

Posted : 09/24/2017 4:04 am

Hi,I have been taking this medication for about 3 years, I have struggled mostly with scalp acne and assumed the reason my hair was falling out was because of the acne itself and the doctor told me it was the infection that was causing my hair loss and stuck me back on the medication ,multiple times. Turns out it has been the Lymecycline all along. I stopped taking the medication and realized my hair has stopped falling out but I don't think I'll ever have the thick hair I had before the treatment.

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 09/25/2017 1:52 pm

On 24.09.2017 at 11:04 AM, Daniel jackett said:

Hi,I have been taking this medication for about 3 years, I have struggled mostly with scalp acne and assumed the reason my hair was falling out was because of the acne itself and the doctor told me it was the infection that was causing my hair loss and stuck me back on the medication ,multiple times. Turns out it has been the Lymecycline all along. I stopped taking the medication and realized my hair has stopped falling out but I don't think I'll ever have the thick hair I had before the treatment.

3 years? It's quite a long time, can you say what was your dose? Was it 150 mg per day?

MemberMember
(@daniel-jackett)

Posted : 10/14/2017 4:00 am

On 9/25/2017 at 7:52 PM, Umas said:
3 years? It's quite a long time, can you say what was your dose? Was it 150 mg per day?

I was on the 408mg. My acne came straight back so I'm probably going to have to ask for a different antibiotic.

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 10/14/2017 1:57 pm

9 hours ago, Daniel jackett said:
On 25.09.2017 at 8:52 PM, Umas said:

I was on the 408mg. My acne came straight back so I'm probably going to have to ask for a different antibiotic.

Oh okay. Although you should know, that you really shouldn't be so long on any antibiotic. Did you tried any topical stuff? Derms usually prescribe antibiotics because topical retinoids can cause initial breakout and oral/topical antibiotics are there to help you through first few weeks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/14/2017 2:52 pm

I am currently on end of my second weeknon lymecycline and its funny as i am taling it for folliculitis or as some might say scalp acne.my hair has been thinning out for months and i am talking beginning of the year but more likely started last year.

infections in the hair follicle causes hair loss,so folliculitus.

its done wonders so far for my mild acne and my scalp stuff has nearly cleared up but i cant say after 2 weeks its making my hair fall out.in fact i am hoping my hair will grow back in time.
:)

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 10/31/2017 9:48 am

On 2017-10-14 at 9:52 PM, Quadboy said:

I am currently on end of my second weeknon lymecycline and its funny as i am taling it for folliculitis or as some might say scalp acne.my hair has been thinning out for months and i am talking beginning of the year but more likely started last year.

infections in the hair follicle causes hair loss,so folliculitus.

its done wonders so far for my mild acne and my scalp stuff has nearly cleared up but i cant say after 2 weeks its making my hair fall out.in fact i am hoping my hair will grow back in time.

Did it cause your hair to fall out?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/31/2017 10:42 am

As far as i am aware lymecycline gas not caused my hair to fall out.i have or had folliculitus,was suffering it for years and my hair was falling out due to that,i was prescribed lymecycline,it has as far as i am aware,cleared up the folliculitus and its keeping my skin clear on my face also.

MemberMember
(@infinitemindset)

Posted : 11/06/2018 1:18 pm

On 7/29/2016 at 7:16 PM, AverageAcneJoe said:

Hi there. I'm an 18-year-old male who at the beginning of this year (January time) was prescribed an 8-week course of lymecycline for my moderate acne. This was the first time I had actively looked for medical help for my acne which I have been suffering from since I was 12. After about two weeks of using the drug (1 tablet a day) I began to notice a few more hairs falling when I was in the shower. I would say around 10-15 at first. I know that this is normal for many as we lose around a 100 hairs a day on average. I thought that maybe I wasn't losing any hair but that I was just noticing that we lose hair in the shower ( I never looked to see if I had any strands on my hands or in the plug before). So, this continued for the next two weeks until the hair began to really fall. At its worst I would say I was losing around 200-300 hairs in the shower every morning before school and I would see hair falling on my textbooks at school and in the hood of my jacket. This is when I began to become stressed. I searched on the internet to see if anyone else had experienced it and couldn't find any conclusive answers. And since it wasn't stated on as a side effect on the box I began to move away from the idea the lymecycline was the cause. Men In my family go bald at a young age, my Dad had already started balding by my age but very slowly (still has hair now at 50) and he said he never experienced a shed. My cousins who are both bald at 22 and 23 balded in the typical receding hairline pattern not in all over thinning like I was experiencing. At this point I was reaching the 7 week mark of treatment and started to really become depressed about the thought of being bald so young ( vain I know and probably quite an extreme thought but that was how I thinking at the time). I started searching men's hair loss forums, which just made things even worse.

After finishing my 8 week course of lymecycline, I went back my GP and talked to him about the hair loss situation who ruled out the lymecycline as the cause ( he didn't seem very knowledgeable in the area) so I took his word on it. Stupidly I began the next 8 week course completely confident that lymecycline was not the cause and that the family balding genes were taking their toll. I decided since the hair loss was getting worse I should tell my parents. My Dad just simply laughed ( not in a nasty sense) but because I have really really thick hair. He couldn't see how I with an absolute mountain of hair could even contemplate hair loss ( but it's got to start somewhere right ?). My mum, whose thick hair I inherited suggested it was the lymecycline but I told her that the GP had said it wasn't the cause and she admitted that the family's history of hair loss was not in my favour. So, at thispoint I continued the lymecycline course for another 2 weeks and the hair loss persisted. My Mum who could see that this was getting me down pretty much forced me to at least try to stop the course to see if it had any effect and lo and behold after about 10 days off the drug the hair began to stop falling. 3 months on my hair is pretty much back to it's healthy state with no signs of hair loss ( for now until the genes get me haha!).

* By the way I am in no way blaming my GP for my persistent hair loss. He wasn't to know, Doctors can't know everthing they're still human. I'm just saying that sometimes you have to take an intiative approach.

I thought I would just make this post cause I could have really have done with reading a post like this at the time to maybe make me contemplate the less common side effects of antibiotics like lymecycline? Has anyone else experienced similar hair loss because of lymecycline? was it a gradual increase or..?

Hi I had mild acne and was prescribed an 8-week course lymecycline for my moderate acne. I stopped taking it and the acne came back and my doctor told me to take it every time I had acne. When I was taking the antibiotic I noticed a slight increase in my hair fall but I didn't care about it because I had a lot of hair and I had a lot of insecurities because of my acne. Now, I look back and I regret taking it because when I was taking it I did not know that I was going to lose that much hair and I don't know what to do to get it all back again.This lasted 3 years and now I look back at old pictures and my hair loss has been really obvious.

MemberMember
(@katty789)

Posted : 01/24/2019 2:15 am

I have been using lymecycline too and just stopped yesterday after reading your post. I had thought that the hair loss was just in my mind and that I usually didn't notice it.

My hair is usually very thick but currently seems weak and nots easily. I'm pleased that you say it will stop falling after about 10 days. I can't lose anymore! I'm going to go to the doctors today and ask for alternative treatment. I think I will stear clear of oral medication for a while.

MemberMember
(@raeeee)

Posted : 01/19/2021 1:37 pm

Im a 16 year old female. Ive been using lymecycline for about 6 months and Ive seen major hair loss,but Im scared if I get off the antibiotic my skin will start getting worse again. Im also using epiduo so I hope that keeps my skin intact without the Lymecycline. Im stopping using it tonight because my hair has thinned so much.

MemberMember
(@davina346)

Posted : 09/20/2021 1:55 am

On 1/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, Raeeee said:

Im a 16 year old female. Ive been using lymecycline for about 6 months and Ive seen major hair loss,but Im scared if I get off the antibiotic my skin will start getting worse again. Im also using epiduo so I hope that keeps my skin intact without the Lymecycline. Im stopping using it tonight because my hair has thinned so much.

Did your hair grow back

On 1/24/2019 at 7:15 AM, Katty789 said:

I have been using lymecycline too and just stopped yesterday after reading your post. I had thought that the hair loss was just in my mind and that I usually didn't notice it.

My hair is usually very thick but currently seems weak and nots easily. I'm pleased that you say it will stop falling after about 10 days. I can't lose anymore! I'm going to go to the doctors today and ask for alternative treatment. I think I will stear clear of oral medication for a while.

Did your hair grow back Im experiencing the same issue

On 1/24/2019 at 7:15 AM, Katty789 said:

Did your hair grow back

MemberMember
(@ethanmathew5712gmail-com)

Posted : 04/23/2022 5:14 am

I am 47 years old and have had a bad acne breakout due to perimenopause and I have been prescribed Lymecycline and Epiduo gel. I have been on both for 6 weeks of this 12 week course. Noticed this past 2 weeks that a lot of my hair is falling. I have had thick hair and suddenly my hair has thinned so much. I think I should stop taking this as the antibiotics are not even helping with the acne as I am still having breakouts. Reading everyone's posts on here has validated that hair loss is a side effect of Lymecycline and it should be put on the leaflet highlighting this

MemberMember
(@alessvazquezgmail-com)

Posted : 04/30/2022 9:51 am

Hi

I am 32 years old male, I get spots back of my head and have been prescribed lymecycline, this is my third prescription over the past 4 , 5 years and I didn't not complete any previous course.

I usually take the pills for lets say two weeks and when the spots go away I stop taking them but everytime I took the pills I noticed a bald patch in my beard and I'm 100% sure it is linked tolymecycline.

It take me around 3 to 6 month to recover from the bald patches.

MemberMember
(@pchadha)

Posted : 08/25/2023 3:01 am

Hi All

This is regarding Lymecycline 408 mg for acne

I took the medication for 4 weeks and my hair started falling.

Does anybody faced the same issue and also how much time it takes to stop hairfall after stop consuming lymecycline

MemberMember
(@paasilegmail-com)

Posted : 09/15/2023 10:36 am

Hi, also having same issue with this medication. Have had it for 3.5 months and i have lost incredibly amount of hair and my hair never been this thin. I've been on tears over this. Have stopped taking it and hoping my hair will grow back. I am so annoyed this side effect is not on the list and other pages in internet says this is not a side effect when clearly multiple people are experiencing it.

How long it took you to regrow your hair?