Cold showers or not...

Notifications
Clear all

Cold showers or not?

MemberMember
(@sonnald)

Posted : 07/28/2016 11:13 am

Hi everyone!

So recently I've been reading that cold showers are good for acne and so have been taking them for two weeks now (despite the discomfort!). I thought I saw an improvement, but then a few big spots seemed to return after a week. I'm a scaffolder so I'm usually pretty grubby after a day's work and have been having just cold showers (no warm to cold transition). What I wanted to ask is, taking into account my line of work, should I be starting with a warm shower and then ending with cold water instead (with the intention of cleaning properly first), or should I just stick to my cold shower routine? I would appreciate replies from anyone who has had experience with this...thanks!

MemberMember
(@sosickofzitz)

Posted : 08/23/2016 11:24 pm

my skin seems to do better with colder showers. it just looks nice and things look less puffy. but im a stay at home mom and my skin stays pretty free from the elements other than when i work up a sweat exercising. since warm water softens up your pores, i think maybe you should start off with warm water in the shower after work to help loosen all the grime and dirt that's accumulated throughout the day. then transition to cooler water at the end. at least that's what I would try!

MemberMember
(@sonnald)

Posted : 08/25/2016 2:53 pm

Thanks for your reply! I've been doing this now since I posted and it seemed to be working, but I had a bad breakout again at the weekend. Must be the abnormal hot weather here and my work as well. Gonna give tea tree oil soap a go and if not, I'll try out a salicylic acid body wash...fingers crossed!

MemberMember
(@sosickofzitz)

Posted : 08/25/2016 2:57 pm

good luck! I live in arizona, whenever it gets humid my skin goes crazy, but it's always on the hot side. also don't try too many things at once, I do that everytime and make things ten times worse.

MemberMember
(@acnesufferer353)

Posted : 08/25/2016 3:13 pm

On 7/29/2016 at 0:13 AM, Sonnald said:

Hi everyone!

So recently I've been reading that cold showers are good for acne and so have been taking them for two weeks now (despite the discomfort!). I thought I saw an improvement, but then a few big spots seemed to return after a week. I'm a scaffolder so I'm usually pretty grubby after a day's work and have been having just cold showers (no warm to cold transition). What I wanted to ask is, taking into account my line of work, should I be starting with a warm shower and then ending with cold water instead (with the intention of cleaning properly first), or should I just stick to my cold shower routine? I would appreciate replies from anyone who has had experience with this...thanks!

Hey there, cold shower doesnt get rid of acne it might be good for redness temporary but not for acne. warm/hot shower on the other hand good at bringing up acne to head and easily to squeeze the pus out. Cold shower will prolong the symptoms as the pus trapped under the skin unable to reach the surface. The faster you squeeze the pus out, the better your life would be.

MemberMember
(@gerardo12)

Posted : 08/26/2016 11:14 pm

Cold is good for reducing inflamation temporarily. If you have a cyst etc, you ice it, it reduces. But showering in cold water seems really unnecessary. I have always heard that lukewarm water is always the best for the skin, acne or no acne.