Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keloid

Is there any pre-medication that reduces or numbs pain from a keloid injection?

A few years ago, I was told by my dermatologist that I needed Kenalog injected on each and every single keloid scar spot on my chest. I was nervous at first because I have a very low tolerance in pain. After a few months of injections once a month, I got sick and tired of it. I realized I was just simply unable to handle the needle pain of each injection. 

I know I'm a grown man but every single injected spot feels like a knife stabbing my chest. It just hurts really badly. I asked the dermatologist if he had a pre-treatment for needle pain but he said no, he does not have it. I even tried to ice my chest as much as possible before each injection but no, I still felt nearly the amount of pain as I did. I mean how do surgeons cut open a patient's stomach without a patient feeling pain? Because some sort of numbing or knocking out was done. 

I also tried another dermatologist but no, she said the same thing on my first visit that only needles were the solution and there would be no anti-pain medication to take before each appointment she can think of.

I even asked my family doctor if she could prescribe me something that would knock me out temporarily so I felt no pain but no she couldn't. She couldn't say anything that would've numbed the needle feeling.

So what now? It seems like I want to get the keloids removed but I can't because I have a very low tolerance for pain. Is there not any medication that you can take beforehand to completely numb the feeling on the needle?