Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time for Accutane? Have tried everything else

Okay so I'm a 22 year old guy, in college. Have had bad acne since 13, got worse after a short round of tetraysal at 18 (gave me side effects- IBS, food intolerances, worsened my acne!!). IBS healed but food intolerances and acne still remain.

I have it on my face back and chest, sometimes scalp. I keep it at bay by what I eat (no sugar/dairy/gluten/nuts/fruit/alcohol). 
They all break me out.

So I've tried everything 
-tried healing my gut( fermented foods, bone broth)
-liver cleanses and flushes
-parasite cleanses
-bowel cleanses
-probiotics
-zinc, vitamin a, and all other vitamins and minerals
-vegetable juicing

Thats not even all of it.
I have many scars (mainly ice-pick,pockmark, and red marks) covering my face back and chest.
Every cyst I get usually scars.
I wear concealer and tinted moisturiser, I'm a dude.
Topical shit never works.
I don't know anyone who has bad skin anymore, I'm going crazy.
crazy

I know accutane would only be like a band aid in a way, but if its a bandaid that gives me a few years or months of not thinking about my skin I'll do it. 
So I'm wondering, what do you guys think? Should I try it?

Edited by Guest
Mistake

So it seems you've tried a lot of natural methods, but exactly what other antibiotics and topicals have you tried (aside from the tetraysal)? 

If you've only tried over-the-counter stuff your derm will probably not prescribe you accutane right away, especially since it's been a few years since your last attempt at antibiotics. Accutane is a last resort when everything else has failed, so you will likely need to try some prescription level topicals and antibiotics first. Don't just go into it thinking it's not going to help. A lot of people have success with the combination of an oral and topical treatment, you just need to be patient  and persistent with it as most treatments can take a few months to work. 

If all else fails then by all means talk to the doc about accutane. 

Hey thanks for the reply. Didn't try any other antibiotics after those, I don't know how my body would react to accutane if I got effects from the tetra. Can't remember all of the topicals, there's been so many. 

The last time I was at the doctor he was asking if I wanted to go on accutane, so the options there. I dunno, dealing with all this shit sucks, since I was 13, so all the risks of accutane seem worth it

Yeah, that's a long time dealing with acne for sure! If your doc has mentioned it and thinks you would be a good candidate for it then I don't see why not. You can always bring it up at your next appt. Accutane tends to get a bad rep because of all the potential side effects, but it's honestly such a small % of people that take serious issue with it compared to the people who take it with minimal problems. As long as you know the risks and discuss it all with your doctor, then you should be fine. They monitor you pretty closely anyway. I took accutane 8 years ago and had a great experience with it.

Hey, glad it worked for you. I'm gonna stick with the things I'm currently on,traditional Chinese medicine pills. And I'm starting micro needling tomorrow, the woman there suggested some natural tablets she has so I'm trying them too. 

I'm going on accutane at the end of September if these don't work.

I was actually on minocycline before Accutane. It cleared up my skin beautifully and quickly.  However, you shouldn't stay on antibiotics for long and my acne always came back.  I finished Accutane last December and it was one of the best things I've ever done.  I haven't had a pimple since February.