Notifications
Clear all

Fatal Accutane treatment and scars (PHOTOS)

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/22/2016 5:59 pm

I have just finished my Accutane treatment (5 months, my total dosage is 138mg/1kg. I took 60mg per day, my weight is about 50kg = 110 pounds).
I started treatment with moderate hormonal acne. I wanted to get rid of cysts after using hormonal birth control. They were around my neck and cheeks.

Unfortunately I have a tough luck and I'm very special. Accutane didnt help me. It actually ruined my whole face and left a lot of scars and enlarged pores even on my forehead ( I have never had any scars or big pores before iso. I had perfect skin about year ago and I didnt have to worry about it) I had terrible breakouts during my whole treatment and I was forced to take antibiotic to stop them.

I was left with scars. My question is - Is there any chance that my face will get back to normal in next few months?  I'm using Glyco A and BHA 2%. I'm going to do TCA after about 6 months from now. I feel so depressed and cant even look at myself.  What is sad, my face looks much better on these pictures than in real life.

I wonder how it is possible that my face look like that because of isotretoin. I didnt have typical side effects. Even my lips never got chapped. I'm struggling with enlarged pores but my skin is not even oily. 

I have heard that scars like mine may fill in naturally but I'm not so sure by that. I'm afraid that some of them are keloid scars. I regret taking Accutane. I wish i could turn back time.

I'm French. English is not my first language. Please forgive me any grammatical or spelling errors.

333.jpg555.jpg222.jpg111.jpg444.jpg777.jpg888.jpg

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/22/2016 7:22 pm

Oh I know that the redness will fade away. It's only a hyperpigmentation. I'm moreanxious aboutscarring.
Myreaction toisotretoin was unexpected. I'm afraid of trying anything what contains any form of vitamin A. And Retin A is a tretoin.

I was also thinking about fraxel. But most people see no improvement after it. Anyway, I will check your proposals out.

How do you think?What kind of scarsdo i have?

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 07/22/2016 7:32 pm

I am very sorry that you had this reaction to the isotretinoin, I can understand how difficult this must be for you. The good news is that any scarring you may have looks very shallow, so I do think that a lot of the scarring can fill in on its own. Before looking at any type of treatments to fix the potential scarring, I would wait for all the scabs, active acne, and hyperpigmentation to heal which could take up to a year and then you will get a better view on what treatments may need to be done. Given that your scarring is probably going to be shallow at best, microneedling/dermapen, may be best for you with a low risk of side effects, compared to Fraxel Laser. The vbeam as the above poster mentioned can be an option, but I would recommend it for when your scabbing and active acne has resolved.

PCT14 and dontcrybaby liked
MemberMember
(@dan34)

Posted : 07/22/2016 7:42 pm

Subcision and suction, and TCA Cross for pitted scarring. Microneedling and TCA peels for texture. Give it a year or two and you should see great improvement. Your skin texture is still really smooth.

QuanHenry liked
MemberMember
(@pct14)

Posted : 07/22/2016 9:09 pm

Worry about the types of scars you have and the treatments for them in 6 months if you are no longer breaking out. Until then let your body heal and figure out what vitamins and topical might benefit you during this time.

MemberMember
(@sodiumhydroxide)

Posted : 07/23/2016 5:51 am

I can see yellowish cyst because your skin is so fair. Can't tell for sure from the pictures whether they are active pustules, do they still hurt?
This need to be extracted. They are comedones that get inflammed from the accutane, when the inflammation gets bad they causes scarring and i think that's what happened to you but that initial flare should last about at most the first 1 month is that true in your case?

Actually the best thing to do before starting accutane is to extract out as many comedones as possible to prevent this type of nasty flare but nope, it's not common practice.

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/23/2016 6:01 am

9 hours ago, PCT14 said:

Worry about the types of scars you have and the treatments for them in 6 months if you are no longer breaking out. Until then let your body heal and figure out what vitamins and topical might benefit you during this time.

Is it possible for my scarstohealbythemselvesnaturally then? or myskin texturemay also start to become smoother? I hope you're right.
I do know that I have to wait, but I watened to find out what could I do to look normal

10 hours ago, asburypark101 said:

I am very sorry that you had this reaction to the isotretinoin, I can understand how difficult this must be for you. The good news is that any scarring you may have looks very shallow, so I do think that a lot of the scarring can fill in on its own. Before looking at any type of treatments to fix the potential scarring, I would wait for all the scabs, active acne, and hyperpigmentation to heal which could take up to a year and then you will get a better view on what treatments may need to be done. Given that your scarring is probably going to be shallow at best, microneedling/dermapen, may be best for you with a low risk of side effects, compared to Fraxel Laser. The vbeam as the above poster mentioned can be an option, but I would recommend it for when your scabbing and active acne has resolved.

Do you recommend using dermaroller by yourself? I've read that microneedles 0.5 mm are the safest. On the other side, many sites are sayind thatneedles 0.5mmare not long enough to simulate collagen.
I don't want to damage my face even more. Going to myesthetician every 8 weeks would be the less harmfull choice but the most expensive.

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/23/2016 6:17 am

I would like to thank you guys for taking the time out to type all that and helping me out regarding this scars/ accutane issue. I never though that I could ever have acne problem.

3 hours ago, sodiumhydroxide said:

I can see yellowish cyst because your skin is so fair. Can't tell for sure from the pictures whether they are active pustules, do they still hurt?
This need to be extracted. They are comedones that get inflammed from the accutane, when the inflammation gets bad they causes scarring and i think that's what happened to you but that initial flare should last about at most the first 1 month is that true in your case?

Actually the best thing to do before starting accutane is to extract out as many comedones as possible to prevent this type of nasty flare but nope, it's not common practice.

As I said - The "initial flare" lasted my whole treatment. That is why my dermatologist gave me additional antibiotics - Azithromycin. Which helped me to stop my huge breakouts. I'm one month without isotretoin but thissubstance still is in my body, so I take this pills to preventacne scarring and new cysts.

Unfortunately I have noticed myskin is healing slower because of Accutane. So I still have some cysts and red marks. Some of them still hurt. I'm afraid that extracting them could cause more scars than I have.

I did scar on accutane but I never picked at my acne, or do harsh scrubs. Some of the cyst gave mescabs. And these scabs gave my deeper scars.I don't even know the reason why my scarring appeared. I prefer not to risk the new one.

MemberMember
(@sodiumhydroxide)

Posted : 07/23/2016 7:32 am

Okay i see what you mean, very unfortunate.
You didn't get any benefits from taking it i.e. stopping acne but got the opposite instead i.e. more acne and you didn't experience those side effects of dry skin and chapped lips. Really rare.

For now you need to stop active acne before even thinking of any scar treatment, even microneedles.
When you get a serious inflammation such as an inflamed cyst, the chances of scarring are high. The severity of scarring is proportional to the amount of inflammation.

The classical teaching was no surgical/invasive/laser procedure for 6 months after accutane but there were a couple of recent studies that refute them.
This are some of them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27398012
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25039864

MemberMember
(@pct14)

Posted : 07/23/2016 12:33 pm

6 hours ago, dontcrybaby said:
Is it possible for my scarstohealbythemselvesnaturally then? or myskin texturemay also start to become smoother? I hope you're right.
I do know that I have to wait, but I watened to find out what could I do to look normal

It is possible that all of your recent scarring will continue to improve over the next few months. It is also a very real possibility that you will still have scars in 6 months, and maybe more scarring from the current active acne you have. The only productive thing you can do at this time is prevent further scarring and ensure your body heals to the best of its ability. In 6 months we can discuss treatment options.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 07/23/2016 12:58 pm

Look into a series of vbeam perfecta and/or laser genesis. Those are vascular lasers but also stimulate collagen. Your scars are fairly new so you may benefit.

Study 1: No significant side effects were noted in most patients. 2 cases of keloid were documented which amounted to 0.4% of side effects in 504 interventions, with a significant P value of 0.000. Reversible transient side effects were erythema in 10 interventions and hyperpigmentation in 15.
Study 2:
Isotretinoin had not resulted in any untoward effects in patients who underwent the procedures. Atypical scarring, delayed wound healing, keloids, or hypertrophic scars were not observed in any patient.

The general consensus amongst doctors will likely prevent you from having any treatment done, however. So it's tough.

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/23/2016 2:50 pm

PCT14- you are right. All i have to do is waiting. Althought I hope that your the worst-case scenario won't happen. I like betterasburypark101's point of view.

Robertitoo - Results of describedtreatments are trulyoutstanding.I won't try doing sohighrisk of sidetherapies. My skin istoo sensitive to dosomething like vbeam. But I'll consider your alternativesin the future. Thanks for advice.

What about IPL? I know that they are different devices but you achieve similar results by using them. Can laser change my skin texture without giving me additional scars? Will I get anybenefits of trying it?

Thank you very much forallthe answers you have given me. Everyting takes time. However patience is not my strongsuit. I'll post again in 6 months time about scars issues.I honestly can't wait to have a nice skin again.

I've got one more questionabout enlarged pores (which are gross). Can I do anything to get rid of them quickly? (They are also my super gift from Accutane)

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 07/23/2016 3:05 pm

9 minutes ago, dontcrybaby said:

PCT14- you are right. All i have to do is waiting. Althought I hope that your the worst-case scenario won't happen. I like betterasburypark101's point of view.

Robertitoo - Results of describedtreatments are trulyoutstanding.I won't try doing sohighrisk of sidetherapies. My skin istoo sensitive to dosomething like vbeam. But I'll consider your alternativesin the future. Thanks for advice.

What about IPL? I know that they are different devices but you achieve similar results by using them. Can laser change my skin texture without giving me additional scars? Will I get anybenefits of trying it?

Thank you very much forallthe answers you have given me. Everyting takes time. However patience is not my strongsuit. I'll post again in 6 months time about scars issues.I honestly can't wait to have a nice skin again.

I've got one more questionabout enlarged pores (which are gross). Can I do anything to get rid of them quickly? (They are also my super gift from Accutane)

I have had vbeam and excel V done before and in my experience there is less chance for side effects when there is no purpura (bruising). Laser genesis is better than both Vbeam and Excel V for stimulating collagen and supposedly it is considered a very low risk procedure with practically no downtime because in order to get the benefits of Laser Genesis it requires at least 5-6 treatments spread apart by a month each...this will gradually improve texture and stimulate collagen slowly (most people do not see results until the third treatment. For vbeam or excel V I did not see a lot of collagen stimulation, but that was just my experience and I only got it for redness andTelangiectasias. As for IPL, I have never tried it, but I have seen more bad side effect stories with IPL compared to Vbeam, Excel V, or Laser Genesis, so that usually scares me away from IPL.

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/23/2016 3:51 pm

10 minutes ago, asburypark101 said:
I have had vbeam and excel V done before and in my experience there is less chance for side effects when there is no purpura (bruising). Laser genesis is better than both Vbeam and Excel V for stimulating collagen and supposedly it is considered a very low risk procedure with practically no downtime because in order to get the benefits of Laser Genesis it requires at least 5-6 treatments spread apart by a month each...this will gradually improve texture and stimulate collagen slowly (most people do not see results until the third treatment. For vbeam or excel V I did not see a lot of collagen stimulation, but that was just my experience and I only got it for redness andTelangiectasias. As for IPL, I have never tried it, but I have seen more bad side effect stories with IPL compared to Vbeam, Excel V, or Laser Genesis, so that usually scares me away from IPL.

So you would like toadviseagainst for example eCo2 Lutronic laser and recommendnon-invasivelasertechnology with heat energy? Unfortunately Gensis lasers aren't so common where I live. I would rather go on Vbeam or Excel V treatment. Because as far as I am concerned they are available close to my place. I was also thinking of eCo2 Lutronic laser, which I mentioned above. But
my skin might be in a poor state after it.Thankyouforsharingyourknowledge andexperiencewith me.

I had what most people called porcelain face, until my doctor gave me the wrong meds which gave me a bad case of acne, I hope to repair his terrible mistake as soon as possible. Firstly, I'm going to try stamping/TCA. I hope these treatments will be enough for my skin lesions.

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 07/23/2016 4:41 pm

I have never used the eCo2 laser, so I cannot tell you anything from personal experience about it. I do not think your skin is so bad to need the eCo2 laser, but like I said I have never used it so I do not know much about it. I do hear there are more potential side effects of the eCo2 laser compared to vbeam or excel V, but the potential benefits are supposed to be greater too. I had a friend try TCA peel and she liked it a lot and looked great afterwards, and she had similar shallow scars like you, so that can definitely be an option down the road.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 07/23/2016 4:43 pm

repost: I'm looking into laser Genesis. that's what i'm going to try in order to minimize them - 
I'm due for 3 in the next couple of months. First is this monday . I'll be having one every 3 weeks then I'll do have it done monthly up until December. Cheap with Groupon. I paid $135 for 2 (25% off code). Normal price with the same exact machine at a Dr's = $200-500 full face

https://www.realself.com/question/long-collagen-building-for-after-laser-genesis

https://www.realself.com/question/california-md-laser-genesis-effective-acne-scars

Exciting answers :) ^

this is a user on reddit who used bhas and sunscreen
http://imgur.com/a/HzDp6

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/23/2016 4:58 pm

43 minutes ago, asburypark101 said:

I have never used the eCo2 laser, so I cannot tell you anything from personal experience about it. I do not think your skin is so bad to need the eCo2 laser, but like I said I have never used it so I do not know much about it. I do hear there are more potential side effects of the eCo2 laser compared to vbeam or excel V, but the potential benefits are supposed to be greater too. I had a friend try TCA peel and she liked it a lot and looked great afterwards, and she had similar shallow scars like you, so that can definitely be an option down the road.

As I typed in my first post - my skin looks much better on pictures.My skin looks like it is scarred only a bit if you look at it directly (face on) but when I tip my face up to the light, it looks horrible- like I have a lot of scars- I really don't know what kind they are - they might be keloids (look on the first picture at my temple - i have a lot of little scars like this one)and boxs cars and rolling, It just makes the texture look really bad. My forehead became terrible.
But I will definitely go for stamping/needling and TCA firstly, thanks

Robertitoo-I might be wrong, but these 2 photos were taken in differenttypes oflight. That's why effect of using bha seems to be morestunning than it probably is

MemberMember
(@dontcrybaby)

Posted : 07/23/2016 5:31 pm

I cannot edit previous post so I'm adding the new one.

Look what Accutane did to my skin texture (my forehead was clear before it and without these tiny holes) I took these photos 2 months ago. They are still actual (except cyst)
That is whats happening when I use too muchfoundation. I did it to show how badly my skin look.
I can't stand looking at myself in the mirror. Taking Accutane was the worst thing I have ever done.

MemberMember
(@jayjay786)

Posted : 08/08/2016 4:53 pm

Brings back memories of my own experience of accutane. Not sure if you practise the following but I would recommend :

- eat as clean a diet as possible. Avoid sugary foods, fried, junk etc. Maybe even dairy if you react. Lots of fruits (blueberries) and veg (Avacado). Lots of water.

- sleep - try get at least 8 hours a day.

- exercise - about 15 minutes a day.

- keep a good state of mind, believe in yourself. Don't ever stop dreaming of how you would like your skin to look. Try not to look in the mirror so much.

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 09/26/2016 1:14 am

I'm experiencing something similar, did you ever have acne on any other part of your forehead?
Mine happened after using a retin a twice and exfoliating lightly, I'm freaking out and losing sleep over it, it's 2 am right now and I'm on this damn website, I've searched the whole internet for a happy ending to sudden texture issues/pores visible, but it all ends in despair and horror stories with no happy ending.
does you skin feel mushy?
Like all the water had been sucked out?
Or waxy?
Is there any burning or itchiness?
does you face feel tight at all?
Any discoloration?
(reddish yellow tinge)

Also, do you have any before pics?

MemberMember
(@worriedscared1)

Posted : 01/20/2017 1:47 pm

Have you healed some more since then?

I imagine the colour and pigmentation should be improved at the very least?

Do tell us how you are getting on!

MemberMember
(@djlo)

Posted : 06/18/2020 12:42 pm

Accutane Damage my face too

Screenshot_20200425-180347_Gallery.jpg