Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - Derm Seeing Me Too Late - Missing Out on Tablets

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 07/22/2016 11:15 am

Hello, 

I am very concerned that my dermatologist is not going to see me in time to prescribe the next set of tablets in time. 

I am on my first week of taking accutane (started on Monday) and tried to call today to book my next appointment in advance. I was on the line for half an hour before it went down, closing for the day until Monday. 

Each time I've had to have an appointment with my derm, it has been such a long waiting list. I'm talking over a month after booking it. Is this still going to continue now that I am on the medication? If it is - now that I am going to be booking my appointment on Monday (25th July) - I surely wont be able to see my dermatologist before the 18th August?

If that is the case, then what does that mean? I will have to go a couple of weeks without the tablet, which surely is not right? Wouldn't this stop my progress. 

Perhaps now that I am actually on the tablet, the appointments will be come quicker to me? Is that the case?

Feeling really panicked :( 

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 07/22/2016 6:10 pm

Any help?

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/22/2016 8:35 pm

I definitely would not recommend having a break between courses. Maybe call them and say that it's just for an in and out prescription and maybe they can fit u in their busy schedule?

If you are certain u are going to need to wait then as a last case u should start spacing out what you have left and take it once every 2 days instead.
This advice was given to me by my derm and he said it's fine.

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 07/23/2016 6:09 am

19 hours ago, OllieWickens said:

Hello, 

I am very concerned that my dermatologist is not going to see me in time to prescribe the next set of tablets in time. 

I am on my first week of taking accutane (started on Monday) and tried to call today to book my next appointment in advance. I was on the line for half an hour before it went down, closing for the day until Monday. 

Each time I've had to have an appointment with my derm, it has been such a long waiting list. I'm talking over a month after booking it. Is this still going to continue now that I am on the medication? If it is - now that I am going to be booking my appointment on Monday (25th July) - I surely wont be able to see my dermatologist before the 18th August?

If that is the case, then what does that mean? I will have to go a couple of weeks without the tablet, which surely is not right? Wouldn't this stop my progress. 

Perhaps now that I am actually on the tablet, the appointments will be come quicker to me? Is that the case?

Feeling really panicked :( 

Ok, first of all it will more than likely be ok. When I was on Accutane there were several times I was without medication. The hospital that did my labs ALWAYS forgot to send them over to my dermatologist in time, and since I am a woman, I was not allowed to get a refill until my labs were cleared. It did not impact my progress at all. Accutane(2 rounds) did not work for me long term, but I did get completely clear while on it, and stayed clear for years after each course. The reason Accutane doesn't work for me is because  my acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance(Due to PCOS, which I didn't know at the time). But, missing doses had no bearing on that.  Secondly, next time you have an appointment, make your next few appointments in advance if you can  AT THE DERMATOLOGIST. Have the office staff print out your appointment dates for you so that you know when you need to reschedule. You need to try to make your appointment at least a month in advance.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/23/2016 9:06 am

2 hours ago, MonroeQT said:
Ok, first of all it will more than likely be ok. When I was on Accutane there were several times I was without medication. The hospital that did my labs ALWAYS forgot to send them over to my dermatologist in time, and since I am a woman, I was not allowed to get a refill until my labs were cleared. It did not impact my progress at all. Accutane(2 rounds) did not work for me long term, but I did get completely clear while on it, and stayed clear for years after each course. The reason Accutane doesn't work for me is because my acne is caused by a hormonal imbalance(Due to PCOS, which I didn't know at the time). But, missing doses had no bearing on that. Secondly, next time you have an appointment, make your next few appointments in advance if you can AT THE DERMATOLOGIST. Have the office staff print out your appointment dates for you so that you know when you need to reschedule. You need to try to make your appointment at least a month in advance.

My boyfriend was only on 1 month of 20 mg and his skin stayed oil free for like 5 months after that. So you will likely be OK.

MemberMember
(@olliewickens)

Posted : 07/23/2016 4:49 pm

Thanks for all your help! Will update on Monday when I'll know when my appointment is. Hoping for nothing too far after August 18th. Fingers crossed!!