Notifications
Clear all

Scars Cover Up Tips & Tricks

MemberMember
(@paula-b-2)

Posted : 07/18/2016 3:23 pm

Hello guys!

So here's an idea. I think we should have a special topic dedicated to ways to cover up indented scars, either on a daily basis or for special occasions etc. I don't think this topic should be under Cosmetics & Grooming, because it easily gets lost there between all the topics related to acne only. I guess we all know that hiding acne and hiding scars are two different things and most people who suffer from scarring visit the Scar treatments subforum only. Also, covering up scars is sort of like a temporary treatment, right? Well not really, but it still makes us feel good for a little while! :D

I know this topic has been brought up before, numerous times actually, but there are always going to be people who come here for the first time and ask about this, so why not gather all the information in one place? Therefore, if you know a certain product or have a certain technique that works for you, share it with the rest of us! Let us know how well it works, how natural it looks, how hard it is to do etc... like a mini review!

I'll start with what I know (a lot of these things I've read on this forum)...

Dermaflage - one of the few products specifically made to cover up indented scars; it works quite well for a lot of people but it has a difficult learning curve; it's sort of makeup friendly and it stays on for quite a long time!
Personally, I've successfully covered one of my angry red boxcars with Dermaflage, after about 10 failed attempts (spaced apart in about two weeks, because I lose my patience easily lol).. I'm going to keep playing with it, but the main idea is it works. It's not as easy as they make it out to be in their promo videos for sure and you'll probably fail a thousand times before getting it right, but it works. Also, I've seen other people using makeup under it with no problems, but I haven't tried that yet. We'll see.

Dermacolor Skin Plastic - there is very little information about this product online; it's meant to smooth and flatten out the skin; it can also come as a part of a kit called Dermacol Scar Cover Kit, which also includes a camouflage concealer palette, fixing powder and some tools to help you use the products;
Someone on this forum tried the Skin Plastic product by itself and she wasn't happy with the results. I haven't found any other information. Anyone else? I'm actually quite curious.

Silicone Primers - there are a lot of good primers out there and this is what most people use to smooth out their scars; some of the most popular primers are Smashbox Photo Finish, Clarins Instant Smooth, Benefit Porefessional (NYX Pore Filler and W7 Porefection are considered dupes of this one and they are more affordable), MUFE Smoothing Primer, Dr. Brandt Pores No More...
If you have any experience with any of these primers, or would like to add a new one to the list, please go ahead and tell us more! Do you use them by themselves? If you use foundation and/or concealer too, what kind of foundation/concealer do you use?

Concealera thick concealer might be able to fill in some scars if you layer it well; the main idea is to use a lighter color than your normal skin tone in order to create the illusion of less depth;
I've failed terribly with this technique. I wish I were a makeup artist. No, wait, scratch that. I wish scarring didn't exit. Yep, I'll stick with that. Has anyone else had any luck using concealer?

So... yeah, that's pretty much all I know. I'm actually quite a newbie when it comes to covering up scars, so I can't wait to hear about other people's experiences and techniques. What scars do you have? What products to you use? etc.

Signorina822, Taurus_girl, SteVen1988 and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@grooving-till-old-till-dust)

Posted : 07/18/2016 5:42 pm

I like this topic you started. I have noticed that my indentations are shallower for a couple of days post microneedling due to the swelling. My skin might be a little red and irritated but the scars are 50%-70% reduced in depth temporarily.

MemberMember
(@paula-b-2)

Posted : 07/18/2016 6:46 pm

43 minutes ago, acne scar obsession said:

I like this topic you started. I have noticed that my indentations are shallower for a couple of days post microneedling due to the swelling. My skin might me a little red and irritated but the scars are 50%-70% reduced in depth temporarily. 

Oh yeah, it seems a lot of people here like the micro swelling after needling/laser. If you get somewhat similar effects from a 0.5mm needle at most, I think it's safe to do it at home quite often. I think you could only needle individual scars with short needles in order to avoid irritated skin all over your face, but still plump up those scars a bit.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't experienced that at all :(. I don't know how this is even possible. I've only done micro needling twice, once at my derm's office with a dermapen and once at home with a dermaroller, but my scars didn't fill in one bit! Go home, BIOLOGY, you're drunk. I actually look worse after needling, my face is super red and my scars are even redder (so they appear deeper than hell). One of the scars was actually purple-ish, like I got punched in the face :P... but that might be because my derm combined dermapen + PRP. Simply put, I looked like shit . Is it possible for some people not to experience micro swelling? There was blood! The nurse kept wiping my face, so wtf :(!

MemberMember

Posted : 07/18/2016 7:27 pm

4 hours ago, Paula B. said:
Oh yeah, it seems a lot of people here like the micro swelling after needling/laser. If you get somewhat similar effects from a 0.5mm needle at most, I think it's safe to do it at home quite often. I think you could only needle individual scars with short needles in order to avoid irritated skin all over your face, but still plump up those scars a bit.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't experienced that at all :(. I don't know how this is even possible. I've only done micro needling twice, once at my derm's office with a dermapen and once at home with a dermaroller, but my scars didn't fill in one bit! Go home, BIOLOGY, you're drunk. I actually look worse after needling, my face is super red and my scars are even redder (so they appear deeper than hell). One of the scars was actually purple-ish, like I got punched in the face :P... but that might be because my derm combined dermapen + PRP. Simply put, I looked like shit . Is it possible for some people not to experience micro swelling? There was blood! The nurse kept wiping my face, so wtf :(!

Hey Paula,

I'm sorry that you don't get the swelling. I have no explanation for why you don't get temporarily improvement from swelling. Do you live in Romania by the way?

MemberMember
(@paula-b-2)

Posted : 07/19/2016 5:29 am

9 hours ago, acne scar obsession said:

Hey Paula,

I'm sorry that you don't get the swelling. I have no explanation for why you don't get temporarily improvement from swelling. Do you live in Romania by the way?

Yeah, I'm pretty confused about that too. Could it be because my scars are very new? Who knows. I'm getting another FUN treatment ( dermapen + PRP ) tomorrow; I cannot wait to look like a serial killer :P.

Yep, I'm from Romania. Why?

MemberMember
(@abigail29)

Posted : 07/19/2016 12:20 pm

I've used most of the primers mentioned.
For me the best one is Clarins instant smooth, I've been using it for years, but its pricey and I cant get it living in Asia.. Clarins have a Beauty Flash Balm that i wear under all my make up, I swear by this stuff, my make up lasts longer and my face just looks better..

I didn't like benefit or smashbox primers, they weren't thick enough to do the job.

I purchased N.Y.X pore filler the other day, have to say i'm really impressed, dents look a lot less deep (boxcar type). It was really affordable too, I purchased it alongside a spray that sets your face, and my make up lasted a lot longer than usual in the humidity, great purchase.

Paula B. liked
MemberMember

Posted : 07/19/2016 1:45 pm

PRP and dermapen, that's exciting! I hope it gets you one step closer to being happy with your skin. Oh and I asked you whether you were from Romania because I thought it was cool that you were from there.

Sezenci and Paula B. liked
MemberMember
(@paula-b-2)

Posted : 07/21/2016 9:17 am

On 7/19/2016 at 8:20 PM, Abigaillara said:

I've used most of the primers mentioned.
For me the best one is Clarins instant smooth, I've been using it for years, but its pricey and I cant get it living in Asia.. Clarins have a Beauty Flash Balm that i wear under all my make up, I swear by this stuff, my make up lasts longer and my face just looks better..

I didn't like benefit or smashbox primers, they weren't thick enough to do the job.

I purchased N.Y.X pore filler the other day, have to say i'm really impressed, dents look a lot less deep (boxcar type). It was really affordable too, I purchased it alongside a spray that sets your face, and my make up lasted a lot longer than usual in the humidity, great purchase.

I purchased the Clarins one recently, since everybody recommended it, but I haven't got the chance to try it yet; maybe this weekend. I also got the W7 Porefection primer, because it's super cheap and a lot of people say it's very similar to the Benefit's Porefessional one. We'll see :P.

MemberMember
(@signorina822)

Posted : 08/06/2017 5:29 pm

This is a great topic. I just rejoined after years of being acne free and now have been dealing with random indented scarring. Currently, I am using la Roche posay bb blur which I think "blurs" the scars best but it doesn't last as long as I'd like and def transfers which can be quite embarrassing especially in work situations. It does however look beautiful for about 5-6 hours with a setting powder and as I've stated it fills in my scars andpores the best. I will definitely look into other recommendations here.
p.s. If you're extra oily ordrydon't even bother, unfortunately.

MemberMember
(@signorina822)

Posted : 08/06/2017 6:42 pm

On 7/21/2016 at 10:17 AM, Paula B. said:
I purchased the Clarins one recently, since everybody recommended it, but I haven't got the chance to try it yet; maybe this weekend. I also got the W7 Porefection primer, because it's super cheap and a lot of people say it's very similar to the Benefit's Porefessional one. We'll see :P.

I think porefessional kinda sucks for the price. Same with smash box. Where do you buy W7?

MemberMember
(@sezenci)

Posted : 08/07/2017 7:32 am

Unfortunately it is impossible to cover indented scars :(