What has dramatical...

Notifications
Clear all

What has dramatically reduced your oily skin?

MemberMember
(@evieeee)

Posted : 07/14/2016 4:01 pm

I'm talking about like 70% or more of a decrease in oil. I don't think topicals will do the trick, and Accutane I've heard works very well, but i want to try other oral supplements or treatments before I resort to that. Any help please? :) 

MemberMember
(@evieeee)

Posted : 07/15/2016 1:00 pm

I've done that before. Still get oily.

MemberMember
(@smartgovernor)

Posted : 07/15/2016 10:47 pm

9 hours ago, Evieeee said:

I have too. Do you use step 3 for the regimen? I am thinking of skipping out on it for right now. After I complete steps 1 and 2 my super oily skin is finally just "normal" oily...but after I apply step 3 it becomes super oily all over again.

MemberMember
(@evieeee)

Posted : 07/16/2016 12:02 pm

13 hours ago, SmartGovernor said:
22 hours ago, Evieeee said:

I have too. Do you use step 3 for the regimen? I am thinking of skipping out on it for right now. After I complete steps 1 and 2 my super oily skin is finally just "normal" oily...but after I apply step 3 it becomes super oily all over again. 

I'm not on the regimen right now, but I am thinking of buying their cleanser. I use liquid neutrogena, then Paula's choice BHA, then clindamyacin. Then at night I use the neutrogena soap again, and put retin a gel. I'm thinking of trying green tea topically, and also vitamin D3. I'll update soon :) 

MemberMember
(@btru88)

Posted : 07/17/2016 11:27 am

Neutrogena hydro boost water gel, im a guy with extremely oily skin due to all the drying products i use for my acne. THIS MOISTURIZER WORKS. Skin will be completely matte for about 48hrs

MemberMember
(@smartgovernor)

Posted : 07/17/2016 4:41 pm

Hey, I am on day 3 now of The Regimen and it is truly working. It's drying my acne right out and old scars are even on their way to becoming flaky which is a good sign of cell renewal. That being said, I have still been skipping out on Step 3, the moisturizer. It has been a secret step I believe, that has allowed the other 2 steps to really work for me. My skin isn't all super dry. It's just matte. The only parts that are flaky are the old scars. Btru88, thank you for the recommendation! Is there any SPF in the Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel?

DMH073 liked
MemberMember
(@btru88)

Posted : 07/17/2016 6:39 pm

Yeah they have a smaller tube of spf 15

MemberMember
(@janis808)

Posted : 07/17/2016 7:16 pm

The two products that have worked...or at least helps is mIlk of magnesia (but that's not recommended, so I've only used it a few times) and Estee Lauder's pore minimizer lotion. I was surprised at how effective Estee Lauder's lotion was for my skin at keeping oil at bay. Other than that, only Accutane has ever really made a huge difference as far as oil, which I won't be going back on. I had a good experience with Accutane, but I won't go back on it just to treat oil

MemberMember
(@giveback)

Posted : 07/17/2016 7:40 pm

Vit d3 5000 iu, zinc 50mg, vit a 10000 iu and vit b5 500mg timed release.

Oil disappeared. Been oily for 20 years. Scalp acne still giving me problems though. Big painful pustules. Maybe bcos of the dryness. I dunno

MemberMember
(@evieeee)

Posted : 07/18/2016 7:58 am

12 hours ago, giveback said:

Oil disappeared. Been oily for 20 years. Scalp acne still giving me problems though. Big painful pustules. Maybe bcos of the dryness. I dunno

Thanks! I ordered some d3 and I've been doing zinc for a while now and I just started taking vit A. But I'll look into the b5 as well.

12 hours ago, giveback said:

I did hear some things about hair loss on b5 though? Any experience with that?

MemberMember
(@giveback)

Posted : 07/18/2016 10:50 am

Slight hairloss but nothing really alarming

MemberMember
(@taurus_girl)

Posted : 07/20/2016 7:33 am

Cutting out junk food helped me loads but I'm still not oil free

MemberMember
(@evieeee)

Posted : 07/20/2016 12:11 pm

4 hours ago, Taurus_girl said:

Cutting out junk food helped me loads but I'm still not oil free

Yeah, I eat low glycemic and low sugar as much as I can, except when I go out on weekends lol. The majority is healthy food, and I agree it did help a little with acne and oil.

MemberMember
(@veganbat94)

Posted : 07/20/2016 12:25 pm

GREEN TEA! I drink a cup of Matcha green tea daily and use some of it as a toner. I also apply the green tea as a mask every other day. Try it!

Evieeee liked
MemberMember
(@evieeee)

Posted : 08/20/2016 2:58 am

So the vitamins didn't work. Sadly. I think I'm just going to try a low dose of accutane.

MemberMember
(@rsbsc)

Posted : 09/28/2016 2:57 pm

There are only two proven options:

Low-dose accutane (5 -10mg/day)
Vitamin B5 (15 - 20GRAMS/day)

Everything else is trivial.

Emerging sebum inhibitors coming down the pipeline. Should see them by 2018. Both in phase 3 trials with the FDA.

Topical Sebum Inhibitors.Sebum production is a key driver of acne development. Newer acne drugs use sebum inhibition as a therapeutic target.DRM01is a topical drug that inhibits coenzyme-A carboxylase, a key enzyme involved in fatty acid synthesis. The drug has demonstrated dose-dependent inhibition of lipid synthesis in human sebocyte cultures and reduced the size of sebaceous glands in an animal model. In a first-in-human, Phase 2a study, its safety and efficacy were evaluated for the treatment of moderate-to-severe facial acne in 108 subjects. Twice daily application of DRM01 7.5% gel demonstrated statistical reductions in both inflammatory and comedonal lesions as early as week 4 (inflammatory, p = 0.0666; comedonal, p = 0.0328) and at the end of the study at week 12 (inflammatory, p = 0.0006; comedonal, p = 0.0025). In addition, at week 12, a greater proportion achieved a 2-grade improvement in IGA compared to vehicle (p=0.0070). The drug was well tolerated with minimal local cutaneous adverse events reported.5DRM01 is being developed by Dermira.

SB204.Nitric oxide (NO) is an endogenous, short-acting molecule with both anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory activity. NO has demonstrated activity againstP. acnes, is anti-inflammatory, and has been shown to inhibit lipogenesis. SB204 is a topical NO containing gel that has been evaluated in the treatment of acne. In a Phase 2a study, two concentrations of SB204 (1% and 4%) were compared to vehicle. Statistical decreases in the mean percent change in both inflammatory and comedonal lesions were observed in the 4% formulation compared to vehicle at week 12 (p0.05), with approximately a 55 percent and 25 percent reduction in inflammatory and comedonal lesions, respectively. Moreover, total sebum levels were found to be reduced at the end of the study along with a dose-dependent decrease in squalene and percent of free fatty acids in the sebum.6SB204 is being developed by Novan Therapeutics.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 09/29/2016 7:15 am

16 hours ago, rsbsc said:

There are only two proven options:

Low-dose accutane (5 -10mg/day)
Vitamin B5 (15 - 20GRAMS/day)

Everything else is trivial.

Not completely true. If you're a guy, then yes there are a lot less options. However, the OP is a girl. Girls have a few other options that they can try including birth control, Spironolactone, and other anti-androgen therapies that can help to regulate hormones and thus the oil production on their skin.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 11/29/2016 10:39 am

To tell you the truth, the more products I use, the more oil my skin produces. When I had no issues with acne, I only washed once a day (twice would make me start breaking out). At any stage during my life, when I began to get "shiny", I realized it was because my skin was getting dried out and damaged by my daily routine (products), so I knew to make a small adjustment to make my routine LESS harsh. The oil would decrease and any small amount of acne that came with it would dissipate as well. I can't tell you how many arguments I've had with women in 'white coats' at the cosmetics counter about this...
Recently, I read about someone that had decided to go full-out "caveman routine"...their theory was that the skin was producing oil as part of it's natural defense. If the skin is experiencing more trauma, etc., it will produce more oil in an effort to flush out toxins and bacteria and protect itself from them as well as moisture loss...the oil is not the bad guy. This makes sense to me. Ultimately, after a time of horrible oil and acne, their skin adjusted and cleared--using NOTHING. Incidentally, my 21 year old son (went through a few years in high school of moderate acne) now only rinses his face for a few minutes when he showers, usually once a day. His skin looks great now and he doesn't get shiny.
Unfortunately, I have makeup I have to remove, so not using cleanser is not an option--but I do believe less is more.

MemberMember
(@lee_)

Posted : 12/07/2016 4:46 am

My skin was also very oily. I was totallyfrustrated then one of my friend suggested me oily skin product from the beauty counter store. he told me that this product is made up of natural ingredients. so i started using it and i must say it is really a nice product for oily skin care.

MemberMember
(@lifeswaitingtobegin)

Posted : 01/16/2017 11:18 pm

Honestly try drinking green tea I have started drinking 3 cups a day and have seen a big improvement...wish I tried it sooner to be honest!

MemberMember
(@mr22ausman)

Posted : 10/15/2017 1:04 am

Green tea makes my skin oilier! Wonder if a micro dose of say 5mg a day of accutane would help. I was taking 60mg a week separated in different days but was thinking maybe you may have to take everyday. Even 5mg a day would still have side effects,,,,,,,,ahhh fml

MemberMember
(@honeyginseng)

Posted : 10/24/2017 6:12 pm

I'd say hydrating your skin is essential. Because your skin will constantly over-produce sebum if it is dehydrated underneath. You can have oily skin yet still have dehydrated skin as well. 

I prep my skin using a toner first to balance the pH of your skin, then first treatment essence (korean skincare products), then applying moisturizer + face oils for added moisture. The pH balance of your skin is so important because this allows your skin to perform optimally and to actually absorb all the nutrients from the products that you use.

I've found that using the correct oils have helped my oily skin tremendously! You have to find oils with a high linoleic acid content: like rosehip oil, grapeseed oil, hempseed oil, etc., because these will sink into your skin easily. Oils with a higher oleic acid content: like olive oil will not absorb as well if you have oily skin. Using rosehip oil has also faded my acne scars. :)

I'd advise against taking Accutane- I did two rounds of it back to back and it did NOTHING for me, besides the time I was actually taking the pills. Afterwards, my skin just went back to being as troubled as before. Not to mention, it's such a dangerous drug and there's so many regulations that I just think it'll put your body through so much stress. 
After taking accutane, I resorted to using more natural methods and increasing my vitamin intake. Some vitamins that helped me are: omega 3 fish oils, flax seed oil, L-lysine, and zinc.