Notifications
Clear all

Acne, Im gonna kick your ass

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/10/2016 12:51 pm

Hi this is Snarky girl. I've been meaning g to start a log for my own benefit and for anyone else who is interested in sharing ideas. I've had acne since age 10 more or less and I'm 32 now. Enough is enough!

I've tried the usual in the past:
Minocycline on and off, which worked for a while but I don't want to take it anymore because of the side effects and killing off good bacteria. Last time I took it I got a yeast infection and my stomach felt bad.
Doxycycline: just NO, makes me sick
Proactive, benzol peroxide( works somewhat but dries out skin and bleaches my eyebrows!)
Salicylic acid( nothing!)
Juicing...not any noticeable effects on acne but did lose weight.
Starving myself( EFF that, life's too short!)

So here's what I'm going to be attempting g now:
Yaz and Spiro 50mg.  I've been on them for a bit longer than 2 months and my skin is a lot less oily. I may eventually go up to 100mg but for now I'm satisfied.
Supplements I'm taking: chelated zinc, resveratrol, cod liver oil, magnesium, vitamind D3, E, and C, tart cherry juice, selenium and silica. I'm taking recommended doses, nothing goods going to come from megadosing imo.I may take probiotics but I haven't as of yet.
Not eating: grains like pasta, bread, cereals, cookies, biscuits etc out of my diet. I'm not obsessed but most days I try not to have these. If I do its at one meal. Junky, sugary stuff,processed food and or sugary drinks or soda. I do t smoke and I only drink rarely so that's not really an issue( if I do drink its blush or rose wine).
Eating:  sweet potatoes, red, purple, yellow potatoes( any other than white), most fruits, greens, limited meat and only organic eggs, cold water fish not farm raised, oysters, sardines, coconut and vegetables like squash, a bit of corn and celery. I'm also trying to drink green and herbal teas but I'm not a big fan. Sparkling water and pomegranate or cherry juice for me. I'm eating gelatin and bone broth. 

Toically I've stopped the duac because its just too drying and again, I dont like to keep using antibiotics .I've been using ground oatmeal to wash my face , I was using a bar soap with triscolan but I read it has hormone disruptors. If I wear make up I'll have to figure out how to remove it but I've only been using concealer.
Im using green tea and sea buckthorn extract twice per day. If I go in the sun I use DML lotion.I plan on adding a mild retinol but haven't started that, I'm not sure which one I want to try.  Any suggestions?

I don't know how quickly this will work but my skin is a lot better than it was 2 weeks ago. I plan on updating and adding pics and letting you know if anything makes a good change.
This is a pic of my lovely spots from about 2 and a half weeks ago. My skin is a lot less inflamed now, even though I just accidentally wiped my nose with a greasy napkin my son had potato chips on lol. The second is just now, the thing on my cheek is a mole and I only have 1 active spot.
I'll update every few days, bye for now :)

IMG_20160622_124539.jpg

IMG_20160710_135849.jpg

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/14/2016 8:11 am

Update:
Ive been using green tea extract+ sea buckthorn oil. My face is generally smoother all over and I have many blocked pores except on the right side of my face. I have one small pimple and one bigred one on my cheek. Ugh annoying, its pretty red but by tonight or tomorrow I think it will pop. I don't tend to scar. I think I got them because I was eating kind of crappy the past few days, had some cookies and cocconut ice cream. I guess any sugar can break you out, not just dairy. Only other issue, I put sunscreen on my arms two days ago, had a small break out. I never get those so it was def the oily sunscreen.

I go to my job orientation on Monday, not real excited as its not the job I wanted but I'm still looking. At least for this job I don't have to look nice:)

MonroeQT liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/19/2016 1:35 pm

Hey guys...good news and bad news. 
Good news is my skin is looking good, I'm not breaking out and I think the methods I'm using are working.
Bad news is, despite being hired I only went to one day of work and decided I couldn't take the job. My anxiety, germophobia and mental issues got to me again.
But tbh its wasn't a great job atIMG_20160719_142626.jpg all and I've got a few more things lined up. I'm getting a small surgery on my eyelid to remove a syringoma (??) I'm nervous about that but its supposed to be very minor. At least I have an excuse to not do anything lol.

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 07/19/2016 1:42 pm

Congratulations on the success so far! Your regimen is very good and I'm glad you're finding success! I wish I could advice you with something but you're doing all the right things. All you have to monitor is your sugar intake, stress levels, and adequate nutrients + calories.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/19/2016 1:46 pm

3 minutes ago, AcneScience said:

Congratulations on the success so far! Your regimen is very good and I'm glad you're finding success! I wish I could advice you with something but you're doing all the right things. All you have to monitor is your sugar intake, stress levels, and adequate nutrients + calories.

thanks! I've started exercising too.
By any chance do you know about OTC retinol products???

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 07/20/2016 2:16 pm

I've actually never used them though I've read about their efficiency. But again, it's sort of tricky finding a good OTC retinol product due to the extra added ingredients that may irritate your skin. I'm looking for a good product myself due to my scarring. Have you found any OTC retinol products that look good?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/20/2016 3:28 pm

On 7/21/2016 at 1:16 AM, AcneScience said:

I've actually never used them though I've read about their efficiency. But again, it's sort of tricky finding a good OTC retinol product due to the extra added ingredients that may irritate your skin. I'm looking for a good product myself due to my scarring. Have you found any OTC retinol products that look good?

I have used turmeric + milk or yogurt or lemon juice to lighten up red marks...not sure if that's what you mean. I don't really get indented scars. But, I also heard of people using rosehip oil for scars and taking collagen and gelatin. Makes sense cause underneath our sdsdkin is collagen. I'll look into some reviews for you.
Bone broth also helps with gut permeability if that's a factor.
https://www.amazon.com/StriVectin-AR-Advanced-Retinol-Concentrated-Serum/dp/B00JJ3VXG4/

My mom had a sample so I thought I'd give it a try for my retinol.
Thanks for following my blog do you have one?

Edit: here's a few I think sound interesting for scars.
https://www.amazon.com/Scar-Cream-Fade-Other-Marks/dp/B019J30Z8U/

https://www.amazon.com/Epidermal-Repairing-Nobel-prized-Appearance-Wrinkles/dp/B018367I3O/

https://www.amazon.com/Bio-Oil-2oz-Multiuse-Skincare-Oil/dp/B000VPPUEA/

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 07/20/2016 4:42 pm

So glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you! |::)

Good luck with the job hunt, sometimes it's best to wait for the right position to come along! Better to quit now than wait until later on.

xx

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 07/20/2016 8:55 pm

On July 19, 2016 at 1:35 PM, snarkygirl said:

Hey guys...good news and bad news. 
Good news is my skin is looking good, I'm not breaking out and I think the methods I'm using are working.
Bad news is, despite being hired I only went to one day of work and decided I couldn't take the job. My anxiety, germophobia and mental issues got to me again.
But tbh its wasn't a great job atIMG_20160719_142626.jpg all and I've got a few more things lined up. I'm getting a small surgery on my eyelid to remove a syringoma (??) I'm nervous about that but its supposed to be very minor. At least I have an excuse to not do anything lol.

I'm glad to hear that your skin is doing better. Have you ever considered writing essays for college students? I know it sounds strange, but it is legal and it pays good money. My sister-in-law used to do this. She suggested it to me because I have Epilepsy. There are several organizations that you can sign up with, just google it. Essentially, you submit a sample of your writing style(this is your interview), and if the service likes it, you got the job. You pick and choose how often you want to write a paper, and what topics you want to write about. You get paid for each individual paper you write, so you don't receive an hourly wage. So a paper may be worth $100 for example. Here's how it works: College students submit what type of paper they need to write on the database, what the requirements of the paper are(300 words long, ALA format etc), then you scroll through the database of these submissions and choose which papers you want to write. Like I said, it is legal and you may want to look into it!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/21/2016 5:57 am

8 hours ago, MonroeQT said:
I'm glad to hear that your skin is doing better. Have you ever considered writing essays for college students? I know it sounds strange, but it is legal and it pays good money. My sister-in-law used to do this. She suggested it to me because I have Epilepsy. There are several organizations that you can sign up with, just google it. Essentially, you submit a sample of your writing style(this is your interview), and if the service likes it, you got the job. You pick and choose how often you want to write a paper, and what topics you want to write about. You get paid for each individual paper you write, so you don't receive an hourly wage. So a paper may be worth $100 for example. Here's how it works: College students submit what type of paper they need to write on the database, what the requirements of the paper are(300 words long, ALA format etc), then you scroll through the database of these submissions and choose which papers you want to write. Like I said, it is legal and you may want to look into it!

hi, no I haven't heard of it but I definitely like to write. I will check it out. Once I did an extra credit project for a friend cause I felt sorry that she was failing.I always got great grades on essays...maybe cause I'm good at BS. Lol.
I wanted to be a journalist or a writer but I had horrible panic disorder, even back when I hardly had any acne. I believe it had a physical cause cause since I've been on birth control and effexor I'm fine. I wrote beginnings of stories but never finished.
As of now I still have two job interveiws this week...ones which I think I can handle. Thanks for the advice.

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 07/21/2016 10:46 am

4 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
hi, no I haven't heard of it but I definitely like to write. I will check it out. Once I did an extra credit project for a friend cause I felt sorry that she was failing.I always got great grades on essays...maybe cause I'm good at BS. Lol.
I wanted to be a journalist or a writer but I had horrible panic disorder, even back when I hardly had any acne. I believe it had a physical cause cause since I've been on birth control and effexor I'm fine. I wrote beginnings of stories but never finished.
As of now I still have two job interveiws this week...ones which I think I can handle. Thanks for the advice.

Haha, yeah, I "helped" my husband with all of his college essays.

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 07/21/2016 4:01 pm

On 7/21/2016 at 2:28 AM, snarkygirl said:

I have used turmeric + milk or yogurt or lemon juice to lighten up red marks...not sure if that's what you mean. I don't really get indented scars. But, I also heard of people using rosehip oil for scars and taking collagen and gelatin. Makes sense cause underneath our sdsdkin is collagen. I'll look into some reviews for you. 
Bone broth also helps with gut permeability if that's a factor.
https://www.amazon.com/StriVectin-AR-Advanced-Retinol-Concentrated-Serum/dp/B00JJ3VXG4/

My mom had a sample so I thought I'd give it a try for my retinol.
Thanks for following my blog do you have one?

Edit: here's a few I think sound interesting for scars. 
https://www.amazon.com/Scar-Cream-Fade-Other-Marks/dp/B019J30Z8U/

https://www.amazon.com/Epidermal-Repairing-Nobel-prized-Appearance-Wrinkles/dp/B018367I3O/

https://www.amazon.com/Bio-Oil®-2oz-Multiuse-Skincare-Oil/dp/B000VPPUEA/

That sounds great, I've actually wanted to use that combo but never got to it. Maybe I'll try it in the next few days and see what results I get. I also have rosehip oil as well, and I'll be using it in combination with the dermarolling sessions I'm experimenting with. I've always wanted to try gelatin due to the glycine + proline content in it which is anti-inflammatory and promotes sleep - both good for acne and scarring. I'll come around purchasing it whenever I have a little more money available.

I don't have a blog if that's referenced to me. I'd be happy to check it out if you'd link me to it :) In regards of the links, I never use products from unknown individual retailers. The reason being is they usually don't have as much active ingredient as they claim and most of the reviews are by customers that got it for free or at a discounted price. But I may give the Bio Oil a try. Thanks for taking the time and finding these products for me, I really appreciate it :) 

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/21/2016 6:07 pm

2 hours ago, AcneScience said:
That sounds great, I've actually wanted to use that combo but never got to it. Maybe I'll try it in the next few days and see what results I get. I also have rosehip oil as well, and I'll be using it in combination with the dermarolling sessions I'm experimenting with. I've always wanted to try gelatin due to the glycine + proline content in it which is anti-inflammatory and promotes sleep - both good for acne and scarring. I'll come around purchasing it whenever I have a little more money available.

I don't have a blog if that's referenced to me. I'd be happy to check it out if you'd link me to it :) In regards of the links, I never use products from unknown individual retailers. The reason being is they usually don't have as much active ingredient as they claim and most of the reviews are by customers that got it for free or at a discounted price. But I may give the Bio Oil a try. Thanks for taking the time and finding these products for me, I really appreciate it :) 

Sure, its good that we can all share what works. Oh I just  mean this is my blog...just let me know if you decide to write a blog or whatever. I like to follow people who are informed.
Im enjoying not having such oily skin and not breaking out, its strange to not have to deal with it. I went to s few antique places with my son and it was nice to just think about antiques, not my skin :)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/24/2016 8:55 am

OK...Sunday, a good day potentially.
Ive been mostly clear, had a random spot next to my ear ( usually I get two simultaneously in the same place) but I did have some coffee from Dunkin Donuts with their creamer...damn casein. I've had cupcakes and dark chocolate with no issues.
But everywhere else looks good, red marks are fading. The strivectin retinol is def helping, when I've used up this tube I'm going to get a slightly stronger one.
I went to the pool several times this week with my son an its great to not focus on my skin. About a month ago on vacation I was freaking wearing band aids in the pool cause I was ashamed of my skin. I'm so grateful that's over with. I'm not using sunscreen on my face instead I wear a big floppy hat.
I think Spiro is the biggest help, followed by the zinc, green tea and retinol.Trying not to stress but its difficult. If I never had to work again I'd be great.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/27/2016 6:02 am

Hi guys and girls,
had a little set back but at least I know my dairy theory is correct! I had a Dunkin donuts coffee with their sugary creamer on Sunday and also had a piece of pizza. I dunno what possessed me lol. But anyway yes I got two spots near my ear. I did pick at some tiny non existent pores so I don't have pimples but have a few red marks.
I've been stressed, cause of the no job thing. Still  overall good skin though. I have been getting a bit lax with my food choices but I plan to get back on track. I keep hearing from jobs that are not the hours I need or want me for a job I didn't apply for. This one place says " hours are 6-2 or 2-11...for $9.25. Um yeah screw you guys, I'm getting too old for this crap.
Its amazing just how little dairy can affect me. Even creamer labelled " non dairy" um, it has casein in it so how nis that not dairy?!  False advertising. :P

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 08/02/2016 4:07 pm

Hi again, I'm doing well today. Got rid of the last of the break outs last night and haven't had any new. Have one small scab on my cheek, it looks a bit dark because of using the green tea( told ya it stains!).

I'm nervous cause I finally start my job tomorrow. I had two other almost- jobs that I hoped out of...while I don't feel good about that, I feel this job is mentally what I can handle.

Am going to have to start exercising for real, I've been putting it off. Anybody have motivation suggestions, go.

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 08/05/2016 12:13 pm

On 8/2/2016 at 4:07 PM, snarkygirl said:

Hi again, I'm doing well today. Got rid of the last of the break outs last night and haven't had any new. Have one small scab on my cheek, it looks a bit dark because of using the green tea( told ya it stains!).

I'm nervous cause I finally start my job tomorrow. I had two other almost- jobs that I hoped out of...while I don't feel good about that, I feel this job is mentally what I can handle.

Am going to have to start exercising for real, I've been putting it off. Anybody have motivation suggestions, go.

There you go! Life is about moving on and going past one roadblock just to be hit by another. I feel the same way in most situations but it's a natural fear you're going to have to overcome by just doing it. You have to learn to ignore these hollow feelings that quell you from achieving and moving forward.

That's at least what I believe. The hardest part is just starting and continuing for anything. Once you do that, you'll be glad you took the first plunge inside.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 08/06/2016 9:07 am

I'm trying ...
I found an article on scars with a few suggestions on products.
http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/tips/g14/acne-scar-treatment/?
The best thi g I've done for my skin is to add a retinoid. My face is very smooth and any sebum plugs are coming to the surface and sloughing off. I may go up to .50 or.100 eventually. I wonder why none of my derms recommended retinol?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 08/06/2016 2:36 pm

I'm trying g...
I found an article on scars with a few suggestions on products.
http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/tips/g14/acne-scar-treatment/?