Notifications
Clear all

strict diet, and no results

Posted : 07/08/2016 1:16 pm

hi you guys!
I'mdesperately trying to clear my skin, and now I strongly believe in benefits of paleo diet, so I follow it. I was on holidays for 2 weeks and actually noticed some improvement, and I haven'tused any of topical treatment, although benzoyl peroxide helped a lot before, I stopped using it because it`s expensive and it has nasty side effects, but now I'm back to work and my skin looks awful! although I'mon this very strict diet, like no dairysugar gluten and everything, which really frustrates me and I started using BP again, and I don't like it - my skin is itchy again! So can it be stress? And stress only?
Do any of you on a diet and using any topical treatment?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/08/2016 3:11 pm

1 hour ago, Nina19 said:

hi you guys!
I'mdesperately trying to clear my skin, and now I strongly believe in benefits of paleo diet, so I follow it. I was on holidays for 2 weeks and actually noticed some improvement, and I haven'tused any of topical treatment, although benzoyl peroxide helped a lot before, I stopped using it because it`s expensive and it has nasty side effects, but now I'm back to work and my skin looks awful! although I'mon this very strict diet, like no dairysugar gluten and everything, which really frustrates me and I started using BP again, and I don't like it - my skin is itchy again! So can it be stress? And stress only?

hi, I've been there done that with no results but I didn't know about glycemic index or inflammatory response. Check out some of the articles on this site. Especially about how important zinc is.
According to this theory, insulin and glycemic index and getting the right antioxidants and nutrients is the most important part.
In short they recommend:
Zinc
resveratrol
Vitamin e
vitamin d
vitamin c
selenium
And then, foods that are good and should be eaten a lot are
sweet potatoes
oysters
Grass fed beef
raspberries, blueberries
ginger
Greens
Bananas
Garlic
If you like natural topicals try sea buckthorn oil or tea trees oil or cream tea and turmeric.

PS eating healthy can take qa long time to get noticeable results...more than a few months but supposedly, zinc will work quickly.

MemberMember
(@arts)

Posted : 07/09/2016 2:10 am

12 hours ago, Nina19 said:

hi you guys!

Hi. I've been where you are. I was on a similar diet you're discribing with no positive change in acne. Now I don't believe grains/gluten/dairy/sugar/fat etc. are bad in and of themselves unless you have trouble digesting and utilizing them.I personally find that avoiding certain supposedly "bad" foods does not play a big role in my acne. If you've been on a strict X-free diet for months and don't see any results, please consider that X may not be your problem after all.
As snarkygirl suggested, instead of eliminating certain food groups focus on a more anti-inflammatory, blood sugar-stabilizing diet. Get your Omega 3/6 ratio in check (giving up nuts and oils helped me), load up on antioxidants, consume powerful anti-inflammatory foods (ginger tea, for example).
And yes, stress is a big part for some of us, myself included. I also get clear when I'm on holiday. I suggest you look up a book called "Mind over medicine" that explains why and how stress physiologically changes our bodies. In fact, strict dieting and closely monitoring your skin progress can be one of the biggest stressors. Right now I'm doing daily affirmations, especially those that focus on self-love and feeling safe in the world, and try to meditate and do yoga daily in order to combat that. However, I don't believe that stress is the only culprit either. It's a combination of many things that target your particular weakest link - the skin.

MemberMember
(@rblhws)

Posted : 07/09/2016 6:25 am

Are you eating enough calories on this diet? If not, you could be stressing your body hence causing the acne. Its fine to eat healthier, but keep those calories up and make sure you're getting the required nutrition.

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 07/09/2016 8:36 am

6 hours ago, ArtS said:
Hi. I've been where you are. I was on a similar diet you're discribing with no positive change in acne. Now I don't believe grains/gluten/dairy/sugar/fat etc. are bad in and of themselves unless you have trouble digesting and utilizing them.I personally find that avoiding certain supposedly "bad" foods does not play a big role in my acne. If you've been on a strict X-free diet for months and don't see any results, please consider that X may not be your problem after all.
As snarkygirl suggested, instead of eliminating certain food groups focus on a more anti-inflammatory, blood sugar-stabilizing diet. Get your Omega 3/6 ratio in check (giving up nuts and oils helped me), load up on antioxidants, consume powerful anti-inflammatory foods (ginger tea, for example).
And yes, stress is a big part for some of us, myself included. I also get clear when I'm on holiday. I suggest you look up a book called "Mind over medicine" that explains why and how stress physiologically changes our bodies. In fact, strict dieting and closely monitoring your skin progress can be one of the biggest stressors. Right now I'm doing daily affirmations, especially those that focus on self-love and feeling safe in the world, and try to meditate and do yoga daily in order to combat that. However, I don't believe that stress is the only culprit either. It's a combination of many things that target your particular weakest link - the skin.

I read that book ArtS! It's an incredibly enlightening book that really shows the power of one's mindset has on their body. A very good read to anyone that doesn't know how powerful the placebo effect can be. It's so powerful that all studies use a special "wash out period" to remove the patients in medical studies that have a greater placebo response, as it can prevent the drug from being approved as effective for its purpose.

Stress is the single most important thing you have to change. If you can't reduce it and practice mindfulness in your daily life; you will always live a life that's unfulfilling and it reflects on your face. There's several studies showing the effects of stress on sebum production, inflammatory response, acne erruptions, metabolic effects, and effecting your entire central nervous system as a whole.

If you can't reduce/manage stress then all your diet effortswill not work. Take that from someone that had the worst stress and anxiety one can have.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/09/2016 9:26 am

7 hours ago, ArtS said:
Hi. I've been where you are. I was on a similar diet you're discribing with no positive change in acne. Now I don't believe grains/gluten/dairy/sugar/fat etc. are bad in and of themselves unless you have trouble digesting and utilizing them. I personally find that avoiding certain supposedly "bad" foods does not play a big role in my acne. If you've been on a strict X-free diet for months and don't see any results, please consider that X may not be your problem after all.

" like" :)

Like" :) It says I've reached my daily liking limit.lol.
Yeah the books and articles I've read say acne is not just from one cause like bacteria or skin oil, its several factors coming together.
Normal skin bacteria are attacked by our overactive immune system, resulting in inflammation. Hormones cause overproduction of sebum which equals more food for bacteria, and the skins shedding mechanism itself isn't working properly which causes skin cells to stick together instead of shedding, causing sebum and bacteria to get inflamed. So treating each one of those is kind of important.
Thsts a crap load off info but it makes sense. So, reducing androgens= less oil, reducing inflammation = less acne and helping skin shed properly = less acne.
Im going to add a retinoid in soon.

3 hours ago, rblhws said:

Are you eating enough calories on this diet? If not, you could be stressing your body hence causing the acne. Its fine to eat healthier, but keep those calories up and make sure you're getting the required nutrition. 

that happened to me, I actually
weakened my body and had hair loss.

Good luck on this

MemberMember
(@rblhws)

Posted : 07/09/2016 11:55 am

2 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

weakened my body and had hair loss

Same. That's why I stress that people be careful on these diets.

Posted : 07/09/2016 10:33 pm

hair loss is my lifetime problem, no matter what diet, and yeah, I started doing meditation, and its really helpful just to know maybe for the first time in years how "relaxed" really feels, I noticed I am so tense at work just without any reason, hoping to get rid of that anxiety somehow soon!

MemberMember
(@arts)

Posted : 07/10/2016 1:10 am

2 hours ago, Nina19 said:

hair loss is my lifetime problem, no matter what diet, and yeah, I started doing meditation, and its really helpful just to know maybe for the first time in years how "relaxed" really feels, I noticed I am so tense at work just without any reason, hoping to get rid of that anxiety somehow soon!

If anxiety is a big issue for you, please watch this video. It's the absolute best I've seen on the topic.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/10/2016 8:50 am

10 hours ago, Nina19 said:

I know it might sound cliche but I have tried a blend of oils on my hair when I had it thinning and I do think it helped.
I can give you the recipe if you like?

MemberMember
(@juana-allen)

Posted : 07/11/2016 8:16 pm

I do know eating fatty foods and dairy will affect and stimulate acne to occur.