Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omgitspres

i really wanna get down to the bottom of this....

im so sick of wondering if i do masturbate ill get acne or if i stop for a week or so ill also get it....has anyone here tried not masturbating for a month or so & saw an improvement in acne? there has to be some connection between acne and masturbation there just has to....it has to have some kind of effect....it just seems logical that since most teenagers start masturbating when they become a teenagerthey start to get acne....but recently some said that while abstaining from it acne appeared so i dont know what to believe....is anyone willing to try it or has tried it already??? of course there are people who jack off and have crystal clear skin but thats just because they're the exceptions....i just dont know what to do....im afraid if i jack off ill continue to have blemishes but also im afriad that if i stop for a long time ill also develop more blemishes....can someone help out?

You freak out too much. There is no connection -- acne starts when teenagers start masturbating because the teenage years is when sex hormones start flooding. This'll happen, though, regardless of masturbation. So calm down and learn to use complete sentences.

im so sick of wondering if i do masturbate ill get acne or if i stop for a week or so ill also get it....has anyone here tried not masturbating for a month or so & saw an improvement in acne? there has to be some connection between acne and masturbation there just has to....it has to have some kind of effect....it just seems logical that since most teenagers start masturbating when they become a teenagerthey start to get acne....but recently some said that while abstaining from it acne appeared so i dont know what to believe....is anyone willing to try it or has tried it already??? of course there are people who jack off and have crystal clear skin but thats just because they're the exceptions....i just dont know what to do....im afraid if i jack off ill continue to have blemishes but also im afriad that if i stop for a long time ill also develop more blemishes....can someone help out?

i know but something about hormones and dht might cause acne i mean how can you say it has to relation...i thought masturbation is a big thing in your body going on so it has to effect something...im just too afraid to try to abstain from it for a few weeks because i heard that not doing it also causes acne lol...which is it?

omgitspres dont worry about it i havent whacked off in a year and still get pimples once in a while confused.gif So either it doesnt really matter. You need to get used to not whacking off over something i havent done it since 1 year and 2months i feel good smile.gif

So basically its up to u wether its worth doing it or not.

TheK1d eusa_angel.gif

i know but something about hormones and dht might cause acne i mean how can you say it has to relation...i thought masturbation is a big thing in your body going on so it has to effect something...im just too afraid to try to abstain from it for a few weeks because i heard that not doing it also causes acne lol...which is it?

omgitspres, please respond to me. have you ever tried a facial regimen and stuck with it for a month? for instance, dan's regimen. well, have you?

until you try one thing....i'm sorry let me revise that...until you try one REASONABLE thing for a month or two, will you please stop jumping on every weird idea that comes around?

Hello,

I read your post and thought I'd give you some advice based on my personal experience with this problem. Everyone likes to claim that there is no connection between masturbation and acne. Although this may be true for the majority of guys, I know from personal experience that there is a direct correlation between masturbating and acne breakouts. I'm 29 years old now and when I was a teenager and even when I was in my mid twenties, I observed time after time that masturbating causes acne to flare up on my face. The acne flare ups would generally appear 24-48 hours after I masturbated and my face wouldn't completely clear up until about 7 to 10 days later. Sometimes I got small zits, sometimes I got large and ugly pimples. It was extremely frustrating and psychologically hurtful.

You wondered in your post if abstaining from masturbation for several weeks would help clear up your acne problem. The answer is YES in that you will have fewer acne breakouts. However, if you don't masturbate for a long time (like for a month) you will eventually have a nocturnal emission or a wet dream. Having a wet dream has the same negative effect on your face that masturbation does....more acne breakouts. What does this mean? It means that you can buy yourself some time and enjoy better skin if you abstain from masturbating for several weeks. But eventually you will probably lose resolve and masturbate again or eventually you will have a nocturnal emission. Either way, you are still screwed and this is no way to live your life.

The root cause of acne is testosterone, the major male hormone. Have you ever noticed how teenage girls and adult women typically have better looking skin than guys do? And it's not because they wear makeup. It is because females have very little testosterone and their estrogen levels actually promote smaller, less active skin pores. In contrast, testosterone promotes the over activity of your skin pores (or sebaceous glands), thereby causing acne to appear. Think about it, did you ever have an acne problem before puberty? No, you didn't.

Now, I've written to doctors asking them if there is a recognized correlation between ejaculation and acne breakouts driven by a resulting surge in testosterone following ejaculation. They said that there is not such a correlation and that there is no surge in testosterone levels. Fine. They can keep believing this story if they want to. Maybe there is not an increase in testosterone following ejaculation, but in my case and in the case of thousands of other males, there is some kind of chemical reaction that occurs related to male hormones, which causes the sebaceous glands on your face to over-react. Basically, your skin pores start to produce more oil following ejaculation.

By the way, this might sound weird, but I've done some research into guys who are pursuing gender reassignment surgery. They have reported that suppressing their testosterone levels by taking andogen blockers and estrogen pills have dramatically improved the texture and quality of their skin and have seen a reduction in the size of their skin pores. Obviously, I'm not advocating that you should take female hormones to improve your acne problem. I only mention this piece of research to demonstrate that there is a link between testosterone and acne. This is why certain kinds of birth control pills help to clear up acne in women because "the pill" has the effect of reducing male hormones in women....among other things.

So what can be done about the acne problem?

First, improve your diet. Stop eating foods high in sugar and really stay away from dairy products. Stop drinking regular pop and switch to diet pop, or even better, switch to water.

Second, stay away from greasy fast food and industrialized meat made with chemicals and growth hormones. If you like to eat meat (like I do) find "free range" meat that wasn't produced with chemicals and animal hormones. (Believe me, regular fast food meat will really screw over your face.) Boor's Head meat is a good, healthy choice.

Third, get more exercise.

And fourth, and this extremely important, find a doctor who will prescribe Accutane for you. Accutane is the only effective, long-run treatment for acne. It dramactically improved my skin by making my sebaceous glands less active. I used to have blackheads all over my nose and now I don't. Moreover, the frequency of regular acne breakouts diminished after my Accutane treatment. And most importantly, I no longer have horrible acne flare ups after ejaculation. My skin is 98 percent better.

In summary, improve your diet, avoid dairy products, get on Accutane, stay with your new diet, and enjoy life. It worked for me and it can work for you.

Good Luck.

No one questions the testosterone/acne connection but masturbation doesn't change any type of balance. As you say:

"They said that there is not such a correlation and that there is no surge in testosterone levels. Fine. They can keep believing this story if they want to. Maybe there is not an increase in testosterone following ejaculation, but in my case and in the case of thousands of other males, there is some kind of chemical reaction that occurs related to male hormones, which causes the sebaceous glands on your face to over-react. Basically, your skin pores start to produce more oil following ejaculation."

They say that because it's true.

You have experienced what is called the nocebo effect -- as opposed to the placebo where you feel better because of mind power, the nocebo results in you experiencing symptoms because you think you will.

Masturbation is very healthy and the safest way to sexually mature during puberty -- people that stress about it are only hurting themselves in the long run.

"And fourth, and this extremely important, find a doctor who will prescribe Accutane for you. Accutane is the only effective, long-run treatment for acne. It dramactically improved my skin by making my sebaceous glands less active. I used to have blackheads all over my nose and now I don't. Moreover, the frequency of regular acne breakouts diminished after my Accutane treatment. And most importantly, I no longer have horrible acne flare ups after ejaculation. My skin is 98 percent better."

Have you considered that your acne got better because... of Accutane? People who don't have severe acne really shouldn't go on the stuff because the side effects aren't worth the clear skin but still -- you can't really say that you cleared acne by way of changing diet and masturbation frequency when you also went on the strongest acne medication on the planet.

Regarding your paragraph:

"Have you considered that your acne got better because... of Accutane? People who don't have severe acne really shouldn't go on the stuff because the side effects aren't worth the clear skin but still -- you can't really say that you cleared acne by way of changing diet and masturbation frequency when you also went on the strongest acne medication on the planet."

I never said that changing my diet and cutting back on masturbation alone cleared my acne problem 100 percent. These efforts preceded my Accutane treatement. Changing my diet by avoiding foods high in sugar and cutting back on masturbation mitigated my acne problem to a moderate degree. However, these improvements with my complexion did not satisfy me enough because I still had blackheads all over my nose and occasional acne flare ups. This is why I actually got on Accutane because my acne problem was not something that I could completely control with conventional, non-medical means. Cutting back on sugar, dairy, and the frequency of masturbation will produce moderate improvements in one's skin....I know from year's of bitter experience....but again these strategies are not a silver bullet either.

Regarding the nocebo effect, all I can say is that the correlation I observed between masturbating and subsequent acne breakouts was extremely strong. As I have already indicated, I would go weeks without masturbing and my skin would improve. Three to four weeks later, after I would masturbate, I noticed a subsequent increase in the severity and number of blemishes on my face. Time after time, I conducted this "experiment" and I strongly believe that this phenomenon is not limited to me. If it were, then why would some many young men and adult males associate acne breakouts with masturbation? As I said in my first post, the majority of men obviously don't have this problem. But I believe that there is a sizeable percent, perhaps 10 percent, of the male population that has this problem. I know that medical authorities refute this claim and say that there is no connection, but have there actually been any real scientific studies done on the subject? The inherent problem with conducting such a study, I believe, is that it there is a sense of shame involved with this problem and so guys who are afflicted with this condition either don't say anything to their doctors or eventually just get on Accutane.

I think that the male population is like a bell curve as it relates to the connection between masturbation and acne. The majority of guys would fall in the middle of the curve. As a result, they wouldn't experience any acne problem following masurbation and this is why doctors discount such a connection. Furthermore, on one of the extreme ends of the curve, there are guys who probably masturbate eight times a week and nothing bad ever happens to their complexion. On the other end of the curve, there are guys who have hyper sensitive oil glands and masturbation once every week is enough to upset the stability of their complexions.

This is my theory. I'm writing from personal experience. Odds are that if I have experienced and noticed these correlations, then there has to be hundreds of thousands of other guys who have too. Just because medical authorities don't take this problem seriously doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It probably relates to a recessive gene that only a certain percentage of the male population has. Look at male pattern baldness, most men experience balding to a certain degree. But then there is a small minority of men (like John Kerry and Ronald Reagan for example) who never lose any of their hair. It's genetic, man.

Did you ever think that the reason you started masturbating again was due to an increase in testosterone levels? Masturbation does not cause acne, nor does refraining from it reduce zits and blemishes. I'd say the reason you saw a change in your skin when you resumed masturbation was due to the fact that testosterone increases had taken place BEFORE you masturbated. You'd have gotten the acne whether or not you jacked off, but the testosterone increase pushed you to masturbate. Cause and effect need to be examined more carefully next time.

Yeah man, you kinda prove my point:

"there is a sense of shame involved with this problem and so guys who are afflicted with this condition either don't say anything to their doctors or eventually just get on Accutane."

Nocebo = you think you'll get worse and you do. You've clearly thought all along that masturbation and acne are connected -- it's quite logical that your acne worsened either by a) coincidence or b) by nocebo caused by you thinking it'd come back.

The entire notion that makes anyone believe masturbation and acne are linked is the centuries old theory that masturbation is bad -- some people still, even subconsciously, believe this (as you clearly do). There is no recessive gene through this; every guy who believes there's a connection is a walking example of nocebo.

What a great way to stop teenagers from masturbating. This is just another excuse people give themselves for their acne. Also masterbation has that whole stigma like benkweller brought up. Your hormones, especially during your teen years, will prove problematic, whether or not you masterbate/have sex/etc. There is no proof that masterbation has any link to sebum oil production either. And who the hell wants to stop having sex or masterbating because they have acne problems? Look at all of the other factors that cause acne: they're more liable to be the cause.

You guys are very close minded. I am similar to the user above and have experienced the same thing. How long have I been observing the effects of masturbation and acne? About 5 years.

I've recently stopped masturbating in efforts to reduce my acne. I've tried everything over the last 5 years: ProActiv, Botch's Reg, Dan's Reg, and various other products with an extremely clean and strict regimen. They would work with mixed results, I would find it odd that at certain times, I would start to break out right when all active acne was dead and my skin was actually smooth (just with small scars).

Well, this happened within the last month, so I said to myself, I'm going to stop masturbating and see the effects. Result? In 1 week all my acne is dead, and I am using only a mild 2% salacylic acid solution and a mild soap, once each a day.

Now you say, okay, anything could have caused you to clear up, right? well, since I've had flare ups on and off, I tried to remember EXACTLY what I was doing when I had clear skin. There were major instances in the last few years of college. When I had clear skin 2 years ago, there was a period of about 3 or 4 months (*) where I masturbated only 2-3 times within that whole time period. My skin was superbly clear and my christmas pics showed it. What happened? I got home for christmas break, had my "urges" in my room and know and behold, I started breaking out again. And no, it wasn't the water, my diet, exercise, or face cleansers.

Another time earlier than this, going into college as a freshmen, I had mild acne. Once I lived in the dorm rooms in college, I had less privacy (almost none) and wasn't able to masturbate more than once or twice a month. Result? my skin was very clear and I never had cystic acne within the WHOLE year of freshmen year. I was amazed and proud of myself and thought I was finally over the hump of adolescent acne. I had no idea how I did it, but I was just happy it was over. Back then, I guess I thought to myself that it was the C&C 10% BP wash that I was using. Well, next school year comes a long, and (*) time period comes along (look above).

Another instance, last summer, my acne started to flare up AGAIN. So that's when I resorted to C&C solution, Botch's. I thought it would work perfectly within a month or two just as it had during freshman year in the dorm rooms. Did it? yes, for about a month, I got VERY dry, but very clear, and my oil balance was balanced. But all of a sudden, my face started breaking out again. I wondered why this was (later I would find out I was "releasing" tension again more often than usual.) So...C&C BP wash didn't work as well as a year ago...it was saddening to me that something that kept me clear for 1 whole year wouldn't work anymore.

The funny thing is, each portion of time my face was clear, I had no idea that I reduced my masturbation frequency. I JUST noticed this fact within the last two weeks, and it all came together for me. My lifestyle without masturbation was much more constant and relaxed (as I look back), and wasn't as sexually frustration in general because for some reason, I didn't seem out of balance sexually (desiring) and overall I felt better smile.gif

Just as the man above, I have experienced the same thing. I am confident with my observations of myself, because this occured post-teen years, from 18-21, and I have at least 3 instances of remembering when my skin was clear, and in-between those times, when it had gotten nearly to moderate levels of acne.

I hope you guys can all respect my testimony, it's 5:30am but I really felt like I had the need to say this so it may help many of you out. thanks for reading.

Agreed.

I've noticed several times when i've been clear, and recently i've been masturbating more than ever and my skin's the worst it's ever been. Tried all sorts of treatments too, now on my third type of oral antibiotic and it doesnt seem to do anything.

Going to refrain from masturbating for a few weeks, as long as i possibly can to determine the effect on my skin.

I know it seems farfetched, but everyone's different, and it's quite possible that this is the cause of acne in SOME people.

Also, i've NEVER seen any scientific proof of the supposed "fact" that masturbation doesnt cause acne. It just seems to have been carried down... I've searched pubmed and find nothing; similar for other medical journals.... can anyone give me any proof?

I'm sure testosterone imbalances can be caused by masturbation due to teh requirement of testosterone in spermatogenesis which occurs with positive feedback when you masturbate/ejaculate.

Thus I call for a non-scientific scientific non-blind test to be done; everyone who thinks that not masturbating might help, refrain from doing it!! Post results somewhere here... update me: [email protected]

You're wrong -- simple as that. I won't spend any time trying to explain to you how stupid this is.

"I'm sure testosterone imbalances can be caused by masturbation due to teh requirement of testosterone in spermatogenesis which occurs with positive feedback when you masturbate/ejaculate."

I'm sure you're quite incorrect. While using big words like "spermatogenesis" make you think you have something here, you don't. Sorry. And I'd love to know what you mean by "positive feedback." Your body doesn't really ever stop using testosterone nor does it ever hugely change the balance of it in your blood. Please cite all the research papers you've clearly searched, as well.

I don't see how ANYONE can just say "sorry this isn't true". What evidence do you have that it's not true? I didn't use any scientific papers in my previous post - I merely pointed out the fact that no evidence to the contrary exists!! It's all well and good to say that there's no causal link between the two - but c'mon guys, we need proof!

"Your body doesn't really ever stop using testosterone nor does it ever hugely change the balance of it in your blood."

Wheres the proof for that?? Perhaps not testosterone directly, but some derivative or metabolically active precursor could quite possibly be involved??

It's infuriating when people tell you that you're just plain wrong, with no evidence!! eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif And i'm not saying that if you masturbate, you get acne!! Each and every person is very different - some people might be susceptible to this; some might not.

"It's infuriating when people tell you that you're just plain wrong, with no evidence!!"

This idiotic. OK -- here's the rule of making a point: If you want to make a new theory, YOU have to provide proof. I can't, for example, say, "I think atoms don't exist; everything is made up of little ants," and then tell you to prove that atoms do exist (because no one can ultimately prove that). Same concept.

If you want to come up with a new idea, good... but it's YOUR job to get the scientific proof. Most scientists aren't dumb enough to believe that masturbating will effect acne.

"It's infuriating when people tell you that you're just plain wrong, with no evidence!!"

This idiotic. OK -- here's the rule of making a point: If you want to make a new theory, YOU have to provide proof. I can't, for example, say, "I think atoms don't exist; everything is made up of little ants," and then tell you to prove that atoms do exist (because no one can ultimately prove that). Same concept.

If you want to come up with a new idea, good... but it's YOUR job to get the scientific proof. Most scientists aren't dumb enough to believe that masturbating will effect acne.

Ahhh the audacity.... I agree I shouldn't be trying to disprove a null hypothesis, but the many cases that i've heard/read about warrant investigation.

The fact that people just keep getting shot down for asking/postulating that there might be a link between the two is good enough for speculation.

The bottom line is: if you want to say that masturbation does NOT cause acne, you have to have proof for it. I'm not saying that it does cause it - i'm saying that it might, and i want to see evidence that it doesnt. This is because fools keep saying "of course it doesn't" with no evidence. If you want to argue either way - have proof.

Talk about a brick wall...