Should I take my de...

Notifications
Clear all

Should I take my dermatologists advice...?

MemberMember
(@paulinat)

Posted : 07/07/2016 9:21 pm

Okay I went to the dermatologist today and showed him the acne.org products I've been using (the regimen) and he said I should only be using the benzoyl peroxide at night since it's irritating to the skin and since it's so strong. What do you guys think? I've been on the regimen for 2 weeks and 4 days and my skin is still red and irritated so should I listen to my dermatologist or should I continue using the benzoyl peroxide twice a day because my skin is just getting used to it? (Btw I am using the correct amount of BP and not going too fast, also in the morning I only use a dime size amount)

MemberMember
(@cortana)

Posted : 07/07/2016 9:39 pm

I think that as long as you are using an SPF and limit sun exposure you should ok. I should bring to your attention that Accutane makes the skin far more sensitive to the sun than benzoyl peroxide, and the skin is totally vulnerable to environmental irritants while on it. The treatment is a modest 2.5% concentration, which is nothing compared to the prescription strength formulas. I have been using the Regimen for 3 years and I can honestly say that my skin has adapted to the Regimen and I am no more sensitive to the sun than before. What I do suggest however is that you wear an SPF regularly (I cannot stress this importance) because you can develop or worsen post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). Additionally, I have learned to use an aloe vera gel at night to soothe my skin and gently hydrate it. This is a worth while trick that I wish I knew sooner. Hydrating your skin helps make it resilient to environmental aggressors! I would stick to your guns and continue the dose recommended by Acne.org. I have some more tips and tricks that I have learned along the way while using the Regimenhere. I hope this helps!

xoxo Caitlyn

MemberMember
(@n82153)

Posted : 07/07/2016 10:02 pm

Do what works for you and your skin. You can start with little amounts and add more and more as time goes onif your skin isreacting bad. Use ample moisturizer though!If your skin isn't to bad then keep sticking it out. Not a big deal. If its reacting pretty bad then try holding off and working your way up slowly.

Stephen J liked
MemberMember
(@stephen-j)

Posted : 07/07/2016 11:47 pm

I think a major factor is your skin type when it comes to the volume of BP you use. If you have sensitive skin, then I'd recommend maybe following your derm's advice, and like n82153 said, make sure to use a good amount of moisturizer, especially depending on your region and climate where you live. You may not realize it, but with all that BP you may be drying your skin out and causing your face to produce excess oils which in return clog pores. This happend to me for the longest time before I finally started moisturizing on a regular and routine manner.

Also, could you go into a little detail on your skin type? I think that may help in determining the best course of action.

Hope to hear from ya soon!

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/08/2016 12:38 pm

I tried the regimen ages ago and my skin was just red raw the whole time even after several months. I don't think bp is supposed to be applied more than once a day personally so I would go with what your dermatologist says. I've had much better results applying Epiduo (containing bp) once a day than I ever did on the regimen applying twice a day because it irritated my skin so much.