Anybody found anyth...

Notifications
Clear all

Anybody found anything that actually works for oily skin?!

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/07/2016 3:30 pm

Please please please please please help. I am going out of my mind here. For the fourth time in as many weeks doing my volunteering with children a child has asked my why I look so sweaty and I know it's the oily shine they're noticing but I feel like I've tried everything to help it and nothing works. Has anyone had real success with any product for reducing oil and shine?!  

Things I've tried:

Epiduo and other topical retinoids
Blotting papers
Garnier long lasting shine control moisturiser
Facial antiperspirant
Loads of different "mattifying" make up products
Dianette oral contraceptive

Please does anybody else have any other suggestions for stuff that has actually worked for them? :( 

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/07/2016 8:48 pm

Have you tried applying a thin layer of milk of magnesia?
Orally, cod liver oil, zinc and 2-3 cups of spearmint tea( or capsules if you don't like the tea) can reduce oil. Aside from birth control, 100mg of spironolactone might help you a lot. I take yaz+ 50mg of Spiro for less than 2 months and my face is much less oily.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/08/2016 6:50 am

10 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

Have you tried applying a thin layer of milk of magnesia?
Orally, cod liver oil, zinc and 2-3 cups of spearmint tea( or capsules if you don't like the tea) can reduce oil. Aside from birth control, 100mg of spironolactone might help you a lot. I take yaz+ 50mg of Spiro for less than 2 months and my face is much less oily.

Thank you for replying snarkygirl. No I haven't tried milk of magnesia. Where would I go about getting some? I've been on birth control before and it didn't seem to make any difference unfortunately. But I'll try your other suggestions, thank you :)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/08/2016 2:28 pm

7 hours ago, MoonlitRiver said:
Thank you for replying snarkygirl. No I haven't tried milk of magnesia. Where would I go about getting some? I've been on birth control before and it didn't seem to make any difference unfortunately. But I'll try your other suggestions, thank you :)

you can get it at a drugstore or Walmart. The plain is best not mint or cherry.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/09/2016 9:37 am

I forgot to mention its in the stomach aid isle with antacids not the skin care :)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/09/2016 11:53 am

2 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

I forgot to mention its in the stomach aid isle with antacids not the skin care :)

Ah great, thank you! Is it not meant for skin then? Will have a look next time I'm out.

MemberMember
(@mitsu778)

Posted : 07/11/2016 6:33 am

Saw palmetto is great for oily skin and yes milk of magnesia on your face at night before you go to bed is excellent too.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/11/2016 9:07 am

2 hours ago, Mitsu778 said:

Saw palmetto is great for oily skin and yes milk of magnesia on your face at night before you go to bed is excellent too.

Thanks Mitsu! Would I be able to get that in a drugstore too or do you find it more in those natural remedies kind of shops? What form does it come in and how do you take it? Sorry for the questions, I've just never heard of it before....

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/11/2016 11:52 am

2 hours ago, MoonlitRiver said:
Thanks Mitsu! Would I be able to get that in a drugstore too or do you find it more in those natural remedies kind of shops? What form does it come in and how do you take it? Sorry for the questions, I've just never heard of it before....

heres a link explaining about it.
http://supernaturalacnetreatment.com/?s=Saw+palmetto
you can get it at a health or vitamin shop.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/11/2016 12:21 pm

28 minutes ago, snarkygirl said:
heres a link explaining about it.
http://supernaturalacnetreatment.com/?s=Saw+palmetto
you can get it at a health or vitamin shop.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 07/12/2016 6:19 am

Zinc, Vitamin D and look for a moisturiser that have niacinamide.

MemberMember
(@purplxed)

Posted : 07/12/2016 5:04 pm

I would strongly urge you not to use Milk Of Magnesia on your skin - it's not good for your skin at all, especially long-term. This is because it's pH is way too high (around 10) while our skin's natural pH is around 5 or 6 (slightly acidic to keep bad bacteria in check). Messing with the pH can wreak havoc on your skin barrier resulting in irritation which in turn can further exacerbate sebum secretion.

Instead, I suggest you try a good quality skin matifying product. The two that I've found that are strong enough to control my insanely oily skin are the Neostrata Oil Free Matifying Fluid (Canada exclusive) and the Peter Thonas Roth Pore Putty. The latter controls my oil for up to 5 hours which is amazing! Of course, I would love it even more if it could control it all day but no product can do that, yet.

I'm currently going to try using Cod Liver Oil in an attempt to possibly slow down my sebum production from within. There is a small amount of anecdotal evidence on here suggesting it may work and I'm willing to give it a fair shot. Perhaps you can look into that as well.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/12/2016 6:56 pm

1 hour ago, purplxed said:

I would strongly urge you not to use Milk Of Magnesia on your skin - it's not good for your skin at all, especially long-term. This is because it's pH is way too high (around 10) while our skin's natural pH is around 5 or 6 (slightly acidic to keep bad bacteria in check). Messing with the pH can wreak havoc on your skin barrier resulting in irritation which in turn can further exacerbate sebum secretion.

Instead, I suggest you try a good quality skin matifying product. The two that I've found that are strong enough to control my insanely oily skin are the Neostrata Oil Free Matifying Fluid (Canada exclusive) and the Peter Thonas Roth Pore Putty. The latter controls my oil for up to 5 hours which is amazing! Of course, I would love it even more if it could control it all day but no product can do that, yet.

I'm currently going to try using Cod Liver Oil in an attempt to possibly slow down my sebum production from within. There is a small amount of anecdotal evidence on here suggesting it may work and I'm willing to give it a fair shot. Perhaps you can look into that as well.

Good luck!

Thanks I didn't know that about PH and milk of Magnesia.
I take cod liver oil along with zinc( a good one) and spearmint tea.

MemberMember
(@mitsu778)

Posted : 07/12/2016 10:29 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using milk of magnesia. Milk of magnesia has magnesium which is a natural ingredient. Putting a thin layer on your oily areas at night won't cause any harm. Saw palmetto in capsule form I suggest.
Acne is hormonal most of the time and so taking at least 400-500 mg of magnesium a day will help with how your body deals with stress. Stress can cause acne.

A good mask like queen Helene julep mint mask is also good 1-2 times a week. Wash your face, then scrub with baking soda then put on mask for 15-20 min and let it dry and rinse with warmer water then to close pores rinse with cold

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 07/13/2016 6:12 am

13 hours ago, purplxed said:

Good luck!

Thank you purplxed, that's really good to know and I found other people saying the same thing when I looked it up as well. Will have a search for the products you mention but not sure if I'll be able to find them in the UK. Hopefully amazon might have them! Thanks for the suggestions :) 

MemberMember
(@eugene)

Posted : 07/14/2016 2:56 pm

Hey, I haven't found anything to actually "fix" it, however oc-8 gel or "Biore UV Perfect Milk SPF 50" both work to minimize shine/oil for a while.

The latter is like a mattifying spf cream.

MemberMember
(@taurus_girl)

Posted : 07/16/2016 2:04 pm

On 13/07/2016 at 4:29 AM, Mitsu778 said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using milk of magnesia. Milk of magnesia has magnesium which is a natural ingredient. Putting a thin layer on your oily areas at night won't cause any harm. Saw palmetto in capsule form I suggest.
Acne is hormonal most of the time and so taking at least 400-500 mg of magnesium a day will help with how your body deals with stress. Stress can cause acne.

A good mask like queen Helene julep mint mask is also good 1-2 times a week. Wash your face, then scrub with baking soda then put on mask for 15-20 min and let it dry and rinse with warmer water then to close pores rinse with cold

Topical milk of magnesia is not good for your skin at all! Just because it's natural doesn't mean it doesn't cause any harm. Whilst it does work sometimes at temporarily reducing oil, it's not worth the long term implications on your skin. Google the effects if you think it's harmless

Tyler R liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/16/2016 4:08 pm

2 hours ago, Taurus_girl said:
Topical milk of magnesia is not good for your skin at all! Just because it's natural doesn't mean it doesn't cause any harm. Whilst it does work sometimes at temporarily reducing oil, it's not worth the long term implications on your skin. Google the effects if you think it's harmless

Im actually going to look it up cause I've been using it on and off for a while. Luckily my skin is less oily since starting Spiro.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/17/2016 8:35 am

On 7/7/2016 at 4:30 PM, MoonlitRiver said:

Please please please please please help. I am going out of my mind here. For the fourth time in as many weeks doing my volunteering with children a child has asked my why I look so sweaty and I know it's the oily shine they're noticing but I feel like I've tried everything to help it and nothing works. Has anyone had real success with any product for reducing oil and shine?!  

Things I've tried:

Epiduo and other topical retinoids
Blotting papers
Garnier long lasting shine control moisturiser
Facial antiperspirant
Loads of different "mattifying" make up products
Dianette oral contraceptive

Please does anybody else have any other suggestions for stuff that has actually worked for them? :( 

I forgot, the best mattifying powder I've had is Rimmel Stay Matte. Its really cheap too. Just check the ingredients to see if you have any skin allergies.

MemberMember
(@btru88)

Posted : 07/17/2016 11:14 am

I have the oiliest of oily skin, I mean disgustingly oily skin, been that way for years, im guessing because of all the drying products I have to use for my acne (benzoyl peroxide, Retin A). Like yourself I searched and searched and FINALLY i found something that works. Neutrogena hydro boost water gel (hyaluronic acid). I honestly cant believe how great this stuff work, itll leave your skin matte but moisturized for about 48hrs. YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY IT, IT WORKS. Itll cost you about 20 bucks which isnt that bad since this stuff really works. P.S im a guy

MemberMember
(@janis808)

Posted : 07/17/2016 7:24 pm

I took Saw Palmetto a few years ago for my skin, and I broke out in a rash all over my throat where my lymph nodes are. It did not agree with me at all. But my bf took it, and he was just fine.