Notifications
Clear all

Premature aging of the skin following accutane

MemberMember
(@nonameslef)

Posted : 07/07/2016 6:41 am

Hi everyone,

I took accutane for the first and only time 4 years ago. I was 19 then, I'm 23 now. While on accutane, I noticed that my skin seemed to have lost some of its elasticity and I had developed fine lines around my eyes and mouth. Of course, because no one warned me that this might happen, I thought nothing of it and completed the course. I also struggle with chronic tendinitis by the way (but that's another story).

4 years later, the acne is back and I'm really struggling. My skin sags, I have bags under my eyes, deep lines around my mouth and I've even noticed the beginning of what appears to be jowls. Looking in the mirror, I don't even recognise myself. The pace of deterioration is so terrifying. I'm anxious and depressed all the time. I know premature aging might feel like a trivial problem to people who haven't experienced it, but I can't emphasise enough how difficult its been to realise that I don't get to have a youth. That I'll stick out like a sore thumb at every party, every school reunion. That I'll never be able to trust my body to be mine or look in the mirror and see someone familiar look back.

I'm taking differin to control the acne and was sort of hoping it might help with the aging skin as well, but I don't really feel like it's doing any good. I know there are some others around that have had similar issues following accutane, so my question is; how do I go on with my life? I often think that suicide might be better. Has anyone faced this issue and gone on to live a normal, happy life? Any words of wisdom/advice?

Has anyone found anything that might help?

I wake up every day and just wish I hadn't. Is there a way out?

MemberMember
(@hollymarie030)

Posted : 07/07/2016 12:13 pm

Hey there,

I haven't taken accutane (that's the next step), but I can relate to the feelings of hopelessness waking up and seeing that your skin doesn't reflect how you feel on the inside. Everyone ages differently, whether or not accutane sped that process up who knows! I have some fine lines and wrinkles from using too much BP on my face (i'm 25). We all screw up, so don't beat yourself up. Life is absolutely worth living and as far as appearing attractive to others, its definitely all about confidence.

I know vitamin E tends to be great to help with aging, although I've never used it. Good luck! There are so many avenues you can still try to help with your appearance, don't give up hope.

MemberMember
(@eo12345)

Posted : 03/18/2019 3:23 pm

Hey, I was wondering if you had an update?I relate to what you said..word for word. I just turned 26, but I dont recognize myself. It pains me to know that I wont experience the youth I wouldve had if I never took accutane. I just finished a second course a month ago. I didnt notice what it was doing to my face/skin until someone took a photo of me. Iam fighting serious depression and anxiety because of this. I dont feel 26 I feel 36. In just four months of accutanemy under eyes devolved so many wrinkles and lines. I have horrible bags too.My doctors dont believe it was the tane, but after reading story after story of peopletalking about accutane and premature aging Iknow it has to be the drug.I am now scared ofthe future, and how I will age. If anyone is reading thisand thinking about accutane. DONT take it. There are other ways. I know acne is painfuland depressing, but so is prematurely aging. Trust me. Please. I cant get my old face back. I never will and it pains me everyday. Not the way acne pained me. It hurts more.