Notifications
Clear all

2 quick questions

MemberMember
(@dpinkie)

Posted : 07/06/2016 9:51 am

1) Has anyone had success with having food allergy/sensitivity testing done?  Because, seriously, if something I'm eating is what's causing this and I knew what the culprit was, I would NEVER eat it again in my life!!

2) How long after starting a new medication/regime does it typically take before you begin to see results?

A little history about me: I'm 48, I did not have acne as a teenager, but have been plagued with it for about 25 years now. It literally has robbed me of any self confidence and has ruined my life. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's how I feel. I've been to several dermatologists, a naturopathic doctor, tried what feels like every plan/treatment available, made dietary changes/eliminations, yet NOTHING seems to work, and many things seems to make it worse...

July 6, 2015 edit.jpg

MemberMember
(@388972_1443950801)

Posted : 07/08/2016 1:41 pm

My aunt had food sensitivity testing done because her eczema started flaring up really bad. It was only ever on her feet and spread to her entire arms, legs, chest and back. Turns out all of a sudden she became allergic to gluten at 37. I thought that was interesting and am going in soon for testing. DKR took almost an entire year to get me mostly clear. Everything cleared quickly (3 months) but then came back with a vengence at 5 months and lasted until 7 months. My skin is clear everywhere but my jaw and neckline presumably from PCOS. But I've been on PCOS meds for a year and am religious about my skin care routine and that last little bit refuses to go away. I'm pretty sure it's something I am eating and I eat pretty health. Went gluten free, sugar free, caffeine free and dairy free for 3 months with no results.

MemberMember
(@dpinkie)

Posted : 07/09/2016 11:30 am

Thank you so much for your response! In the past year I have developed eczema on my face as well. I definitely am going to look into testing for food sensitivity. I too eat pretty healthy, but tried sugar free, dairy free, gluten free for about 45 days with no results. PCOS is not a problem, as I had a complete and total hysterectomy about 3 years ago. I was hopeful that would have helped my acne, but sadly it has not. (That is not why I had it) I've had hormone testing done to see if there was an imbalance, but those tests came back normal, which is good, but still leaves me searching for answers.

You mentioned DKR has helped you - what does that stand for?

Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/09/2016 4:16 pm

Hi, your hormones can still be out of whak even with a hysterectomy. It can make your testoisterone go up and your estrogens go low. I suggest very specific hormonal tests. There's the posdinility of going on spironolactone or bioidentical hormones.
Another suggestion is if you have excema have you cut out nightshade foods? I have a friend in her 40s and she had simil
lar acne to yours and cutting out nightshades( peppers, tomato's, potatoes, eggplant and tobacco) made a huge difference.
Sorry you're going through this. Its not an exaggeration to say acne can ruin your life. I hope you find some help.

MemberMember
(@littlebrownbird)

Posted : 07/11/2016 3:35 am

I was in the same place as you are now for years. May I suggest seeing a dermatologist? I was offered isotretinoin and it really worked. It takes about a month to six weeks for any treatment to kick in but I found the residual effects can be even better, so 3 months after stopping treatment.

I got treatment at 44, I'm now 47 and the acne is back on my jawline (but not visible face on) so I've just started a second low dose course of istretinoin again.

Good luck with whatever treatment route you take.

MemberMember
(@michelle18)

Posted : 07/11/2016 5:10 am

You don't sound dramatic, many of the people suffering from severe acne feels this way. I have had acne for 6 years and I have been going to the dermatologist for 3 and I feel that my teen years have been ruined because my self esteem problems. For me, the cause seems to be hormonal and I'm taking the pill but at your age I don't think it is recommended. Did you try the regimen? I want to try it because the pill is not 100% effective on my acne and I can't take it forever. I hope you can help it.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/11/2016 5:46 am

I agree, if diet changes don't do anything in a month or so you may be a candidate for accutane.

MemberMember
(@dpinkie)

Posted : 07/12/2016 2:03 am

On 7/9/2016 at 2:16 PM, snarkygirl said:

Hi, your hormones can still be out of whak even with a hysterectomy. It can make your testoisterone go up and your estrogens go low. I suggest very specific hormonal tests. There's the posdinility of going on spironolactone or bioidentical hormones.
Another suggestion is if you have excema have you cut out nightshade foods? I have a friend in her 40s and she had simil
lar acne to yours and cutting out nightshades( peppers, tomato's, potatoes, eggplant and tobacco) made a huge difference.
Sorry you're going through this. Its not an exaggeration to say acne can ruin your life. I hope you find some help.

My naturopath dermatologist ran very extensive hormone tests (blood & urine). My hormone levels were all within the normal range. I have been on spironolactone - it helps somewhat, but works best for me when paired with Doryx or other heavy duty antibiotics. I just feel like it's a 'band aide' not a cure. I really want to know the cause so it can just be eliminated. I will try cutting out nightshades. I was not aware that they could be triggers, so thank you for the suggestion and for your encouragement! :) 

22 hours ago, littlebrownbird said:

I was in the same place as you are now for years. May I suggest seeing a dermatologist? I was offered isotretinoin and it really worked. It takes about a month to six weeks for any treatment to kick in but I found the residual effects can be even better, so 3 months after stopping treatment.

I got treatment at 44, I'm now 47 and the acne is back on my jawline (but not visible face on) so I've just started a second low dose course of istretinoin again. 

Good luck with whatever treatment route you take. 

I am currently seeing a naturopathic dermatologist. My first dermatologist put me on isotretinoin (Accutane) about 15 years ago. It certainly got rid of the deep painful cystic acne - I rarely have that now, thank goodness! :)

20 hours ago, michelle18 said:
You don't sound dramatic, many of the people suffering from severe acne feels this way. I have had acne for 6 years and I have been going to the dermatologist for 3 and I feel that my teen years have been ruined because my self esteem problems. For me, the cause seems to be hormonal and I'm taking the pill but at your age I don't think it is recommended. Did you try the regimen? I want to try it because the pill is not 100% effective on my acne and I can't take it forever. I hope you can help it.

Thank you :) I have not tried the regimen yet, and I don't know that I will because Benzoyl Peroxide makes my eczema go crazy! Best wishes to you on getting the help that you need! 

20 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

I agree, if diet changes don't do anything in a month or so you may be a candidate for accutane.

I am considering trying another round of accutane. I was so miserable when I was on it before, but I'm miserable now anyway so what have I got to lose?!