Notifications
Clear all

Punch Excision on acne scarring

MemberMember
(@sryleeh)

Posted : 07/04/2016 11:04 am

I went to a plastic surgeon to see what I could do about my scars. I am so tired of having them. He was very honest and told me that punch excision would be best. Has anyone had this done?!

MemberMember
(@pct14)

Posted : 07/04/2016 5:43 pm

Post a pictures of your scars if you can. Punch excision can be a great improvement to some scars if the surgeon is very skilled, but it is one of the riskier treatments.

MemberMember
(@sryleeh)

Posted : 07/06/2016 11:18 am

So my face is a little broken out which always happens 2 weeks before my period. But here are my scars. One side is worse than the other. I am so sick of them! Ugh. 20160706_111528.jpg

MemberMember
(@pct14)

Posted : 07/06/2016 1:23 pm

This is your worse side? Based on what I can see in the picture, punch excision wouldn't have been a treatment I would have recommended for you. Pictures can be deceiving though, so it can be difficult to judge.At the very least I would get a second consultation. Some countries and areas can be very limited in the treatments they offer, that might be relevant depending on where you are.

Microneedling and chemical peels may improve your scars, and are generally very low risk. Subcision might be an option on the wide scar located on the lower outside of your cheek, possiblyfor some of the others as well. Infini rf is a newer treatment that may help, my knowledge of it is rather limited though.

MemberMember
(@sryleeh)

Posted : 07/06/2016 2:35 pm

He told me that i have about 6 that need the punch. Another doctor was pushing me toward laser. I am in Kentucky, USA. He told me that the scar wont disapear but wont be indented. There are some deep ones that font show up in the pic too well.

The larger scar is a chicken pox scar that i have had since I was 6 lol! I just really hate these scars. My skin was perfect until my freshmanyear of college. I woke up with 3 cyst and ive battled with it every since. Here recently its just started breaking out 2 weeks before my period.

MemberMember
(@pct14)

Posted : 07/06/2016 4:45 pm

You can use the search function to look for punch excision results, just make sure to educate yourself on the process and expected outcomes. I think excision is frequently followed by laser treatments to reduce the resulting linear scars, so make sure you are prepared for follow-up procedures if they are required. Did the plastic surgeon show you any before and afters of his patients?

Unless the scars are very deep, it might be best to try some of the other treatments available.

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 07/06/2016 5:42 pm

I agree with everything PCT14 has said. I think combination therapy (subcision, microneedling, chemical peels andtopical retinoids) would be a safer starting point than jumping straight to excisions, which can be unpredictable.

Try to do some more research on your options beforemaking any irreversible decisions. Excisions definitely have a place but are generally the last resort. Also, post your question with pics on RealSelf to get multiple professional opinions. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@sryleeh)

Posted : 07/06/2016 8:17 pm

Thank you both! Im calling to get a second opinion tomorrow. The PS i saw had really good reviews so I figured he would give me the best option. Ive been researching as mush as possible...for months. I will post on realself to see what they say! I will keep you all updated!

MemberMember
(@newgal0920)

Posted : 09/16/2020 6:51 pm

Hey did you ever do the excision? Im Currently in the same situation and wondering if thats the best method

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 09/16/2020 8:26 pm

On 7/4/2016 at 9:04 AM, Sryleeh said:

I went to a plastic surgeon to see what I could do about my scars. I am so tired of having them. He was very honest and told me that punch excision would be best. Has anyone had this done?!

Excisions can work but they have risks. I've seen some good results... and some not so good ones.

MemberMember
(@ferraritradersgmail-com)

Posted : 09/17/2020 1:13 am

On 7/4/2016 at 9:04 AM, Sryleeh said:

excise one scar only as a test. If you like the results, do them one at a time. Thats your safest bet since each excision will have unpredictable results

MemberMember
(@miro)

Posted : 09/17/2020 1:23 am

Isnt it better to try plastic surgeon that has good references ? I had a basal cell on side of my nose ( google Hugh Jackman cancer or basal cell ) , that is really chalenging to remove without unsightly scar, and i went to one very reputable plastic surgeon in my country, he had it removed , you can only see thiny small white scar if u look very closely . He used stiches that absorbed themself in to the body within a week or so .