Notifications
Clear all

Growing up with a terrible diet= acne?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/04/2016 9:06 am

I was wondering about this for a while, growing up we always ate pretty bad ( by the standards of what's bad for acne), my diet from childhood was very heavy in meat, dairy, sugary treats and all that stuff that's terrible for skin. We always had sugar and candy and ice cream on a daily basis. Though I've changed my diet years ago, is it possible having g those foods from a young age contributed to developing acne? My mom and grandma had it too but their diet was similar to mine.

MemberMember
(@arts)

Posted : 07/04/2016 9:40 pm

12 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

I was wondering about this for a while, growing up we always ate pretty bad ( by the standards of what's bad for acne), my diet from childhood was very heavy in meat, dairy, sugary treats and all that stuff that's terrible for skin. We always had sugar and candy and ice cream on a daily basis. Though I've changed my diet years ago, is it possible having g those foods from a young age contributed to developing acne? My mom and grandma had it too but their diet was similar to mine.

I've often wondered about it myself. Why stop at childhood, though? Acne runs on my father's side. That side is coincidentally all village people eating tons of dairy from their own cows in all sorts and forms. Might their diet have played a role in my acne? Perhaps. What's interesting is that my grandmother is 81 and enjoys great health for her age, despite all the dairy and, I'll admit it, excessive alcohol. You'd think that if acne was really a manifestation of something gone wrong inside due to bad lifestyle choices, particularly food, more serious issues would have appeared by now. Yet she is in better shape than most people half her age living in cities. That makes me question the whole "It's dairy! It's wheat! It's coffee! It's definitely grains!" paradigm of thinking on here. There seems to be a synergistic effect of everything you do in life.
Either way, this information is not much use now, is it? Besides, now that I've fearfully added dairy back in after more than 1.5 years of avoiding it completely, I don't see any changes in my skin. Go figure.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/06/2016 5:23 am

On 7/5/2016 at 0:06 AM, snarkygirl said:

Can't rule it out but I don't see any correlation. My acne type has changed over time. Used to get small whitehead type pimples all over my T zone and had really oily skin up until the age of 24ish. Now my T zone is completely acne free but my cheeks are popping out cystic acne. Also my skin isn't oily anymore. 

On 7/5/2016 at 0:40 PM, ArtS said:
I've often wondered about it myself. Why stop at childhood, though? Acne runs on my father's side. That side is coincidentally all village people eating tons of dairy from their own cows in all sorts and forms. Might their diet have played a role in my acne? Perhaps. What's interesting is that my grandmother is 81 and enjoys great health for her age, despite all the dairy and, I'll admit it, excessive alcohol. You'd think that if acne was really a manifestation of something gone wrong inside due to bad lifestyle choices, particularly food, more serious issues would have appeared by now. Yet she is in better shape than most people half her age living in cities. That makes me question the whole "It's dairy! It's wheat! It's coffee! It's definitely grains!" paradigm of thinking on here. There seems to be a synergistic effect of everything you do in life. 
Either way, this information is not much use now, is it? Besides, now that I've fearfully added dairy back in after more than 1.5 years of avoiding it completely, I don't see any changes in my skin. Go figure.

Same. I effectively cut out sugar and diary for a solid 3+ years and fearfully introduced them back into my life beginning of this year. I can safely say there has been no impact at all. Acne for me is just all concentrated on the cheeks :(

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/06/2016 8:58 am

3 hours ago, invisiblenetrix said:
Can't rule it out but I don't see any correlation. My acne type has changed over time. Used to get small whitehead type pimples all over my T zone and had really oily skin up until the age of 24ish. Now my T zone is completely acne free but my cheeks are popping out cystic acne. Also my skin isn't oily anymore. 
  Same. I effectively cut out sugar and diary for a solid 3+ years and fearfully introduced them back into my life beginning of this year. I can safely say there has been no impact at all. Acne for me is just all concentrated on the cheeks :(

i think maybe if a person has an allergy to a certain food ( like dairy or wheat) cutting it out might help skin but what they have may be more akin to allergic hives not true acne. I think in my case acne is related to inflammation and hormones, I'm treating the hormone part next I wanna treat the inflammation.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/06/2016 9:39 am

I just read a book on inflammation and food. I'm going to try to eat low inflammatory foods for a while ( as soon as my relatives leave, they keep bringing donuts lol).
Seriously though, From what I gather the best foods to eat are greens, orange and red veggies, root veggies, cold water fish, almonds and I've added cod liver oil and tart cherry juice. Even if it doesn't fix my skin I think I could benefit as I have other issues like migraines and allergies. My boyfriend has joint pain and rosacea so he's on board too. He also has wheat issues sowete trying to avoid corn and white potato's and wheat for the most part.
According to the book, coffee and tea are not inflammatory so that's good news. It lists coconut oil as very bad so I'm surprised but for the most part, I think I can do this. Breakfast is the hardest mealti figure out since I'm used to grains, and eggs are not recommended much. Maybe a smoothie.
I will start probably on Friday and I hope to keep a little log.

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 07/06/2016 4:33 pm

I grew up on a dairy also and drank bucket loads of milk, plenty of meat, fruit and vegetables and a fair amount of cookies and cakes....same diet as my brother who never had a spot while I was covered in acne....that's my experience, which leads me to believe there are more genetic influences than diet. But, we each only have N=1 experiences which isn't very scientific so I'm not saying diet isn't a factor and it may be more of a factor for some people...that's the wonder of biological diversity.
It takes a fair bit of dedication to control your diet strictly so kudos to y'all who do it and have success with controlling your acne!!

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/06/2016 7:54 pm

10 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

I just read a book on inflammation and food. I'm going to try to eat low inflammatory foods for a while ( as soon as my relatives leave, they keep bringing donuts lol).
Seriously though, From what I gather the best foods to eat are greens, orange and red veggies, root veggies, cold water fish, almonds and I've added cod liver oil and tart cherry juice. Even if it doesn't fix my skin I think I could benefit as I have other issues like migraines and allergies. My boyfriend has joint pain and rosacea so he's on board too. He also has wheat issues sowete trying to avoid corn and white potato's and wheat for the most part.
According to the book, coffee and tea are not inflammatory so that's good news. It lists coconut oil as very bad so I'm surprised but for the most part, I think I can do this. Breakfast is the hardest mealti figure out since I'm used to grains, and eggs are not recommended much. Maybe a smoothie.
I will start probably on Friday and I hope to keep a little log.

Please do keep a log. I'll be curious on your cod liver oil progress.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/06/2016 9:52 pm

1 hour ago, invisiblenetrix said:
Please do keep a log. I'll be curious on your cod liver oil progress.

thanks i will.