Notifications
Clear all

Acne Will NOT Go Away!!

MemberMember
(@diiscerning)

Posted : 07/01/2016 9:46 pm

Hello,

I'm at a huge loss and I have no idea what to do about my skin. I have dealt with acne since I was around 12 years old but it has never been severe. About 8 months ago, I went off of my birth control pills because of other health concerns and not long after, my skin went CRAZY. I have since started on birth control again though (6 weeks ago) I'm not sure if the answer to my question is that I need to wait for the birth control to take full effect since I'm not sure how long that takes..
Anyway, I struggle with bumpy skin texture, redness, TONS of blackheads, a few small blemishes under the skin, etc. Mostly it is on my temples and around my chin area but I also get bumps on my neck and jaw line. It has gotten so bad that I am left with a lot of red discoloration and it's severely affecting my confidence level.
As for my lifestyle/skin care, I am vegan and I eat very little processed/fried/greasy food and obviously no dairy so I don't believe my diet could be the reason behind it.
I exercise frequently and always rinse sweat off right after.
I wash my face twice a day with a gentle wash and a few times a week I use a glycolic acid wash. I exfoliate a couple times a week and use a charcoal mask.
I wash my makeup brushes (rarely wear foundation lately) and my sheets and pillow cases often.
I feel like I take pretty good care of my skin so I honestly have no idea what else I can do. I'm tired of having my face covered in bumps :(
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/03/2016 2:54 pm

Hi, yes going off birth control pills will definitely cause your skin to go crazy. Same happened to me. Once you go back on it can take 3-4 months to get clear again. Its def not your fault, acne has nothing g to do with hygiene in most cases that's why you see homeless people with clear skin.
Most of us believe acne is part hormonal and part inflammation. Not eating dairy is only a good thing. However its not just diet, you're right.
I recommend only exfoliating once per week, or less. Too much can cause more inflammation. Gentle wash, good, maybe try one of the suggestions on here, benzol peroxide, salicylic acid or topical antibiotics.Add some more anti inflammatories to your diet. Flax oil, borage oil, chia seeds etc. Many people are sensitive to gluten or nuts. Turmeric and green tea and spearmint tea may be helpful. And licorice.
hopefully your plls will kick in, I don't like taking them either but I'm kind of stuck with that now.

MemberMember
(@sam2255)

Posted : 07/03/2016 6:20 pm

Hi i my skin in simialar to yours and is very bumpy all over. Birth control really worked for me for a while but i am still on it and my acne has come back :(. I am going to get a facail done in a few weeks and i hope it help!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/04/2016 8:58 am

14 hours ago, Sam2255 said:

Hi i my skin in simialar to yours and is very bumpy all over. Birth control really worked for me for a while but i am still on it and my acne has come back :(. I am going to get a facail done in a few weeks and i hope it help!

have you heard about pulsed light or laser?