Notifications
Clear all

Possible Side Effects 1 Day After Accutane

MemberMember
(@benderfan)

Posted : 06/30/2016 2:36 pm

Hi, new member. Figured I'm gonna need an account here if I'll be taking Accutane (Myorisan really) for a while. After trying all the other treatments and having them all either hurt or make me sick the dermatologist finally said it's time to try Accutane. As a pharmacy technician I kinda knew the dangers of it as it was up there in importance with alcohol, pseudo, and Warfarin in our trainings. But acne is affecting my life to the point where my baby cousins are asking what the red spots are and I'm 20 but haven't ever dated so I went for the pills.

Before stating the side effects though I should say I'm a relatively inactive (although average weight) 20 year old male with type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) and I have no idea whether it's the Accutane, diabetic complications, or allergies that's causing this but it hadn't started until last night and today, the day after my first pill, so I'd say probably is since I haven't changed anything else recently.

But starting yesterday, about 45 minutes after taking that pill I had already started getting a stomach ache. Not too uncommon for me. Then later in the night I was breathing normally but felt I wasn't absorbing oxygen like I should have been and had to breath much harder than I normally do to feel like I was getting a real breath. Like I had to remind myself to breath in order to actually breath. And I haven't smoked a cigar since last week. And today I woke up to having about 9 bright red drops of blood in my stool. And I still have a stomach ache from yesterday.

The thing that worries me the most is the fact that I have diabetes so any small thing can get out of control fast as far as risking infections or injuries go.

Anyone taken Accutane before and think these are signs I should stop taking it now? I'm supossed to take another one in 10 minutes but don't know if I even should right now. And I can't really ask my pharmacist cause i work for her so I don't really like going there as a patient.

MemberMember
(@chrissy329)

Posted : 06/30/2016 4:07 pm

Obviously call your doctor and ask right away. I know accutane can cause an upset stomach if taken without food... but if you are having trouble breathing and stomach bleeding, that needs to be addressed by a doctor ASAP

MemberMember
(@benderfan)

Posted : 06/30/2016 11:04 pm

6 hours ago, Chrissy329 said:

Obviously call your doctor and ask right away. I know accutane can cause an upset stomach if taken without food... but if you are having trouble breathing and stomach bleeding, that needs to be addressed by a doctor ASAP

I did. They said they'd call back in a few days; like next week sometime. I didn't take the pill today though.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/01/2016 5:42 am

I absolutely would stop taking it. Call your doctor right away and insist to speak to someone, go in person if you can. My boyfriend didn't have any health issues but he said from the very first pill, he felt that it was like taking poison. He kept taking it for a month at only 20 mg and had a suicide attempt.
With your health issues I can't believe your Dr OK taking accutane! No offense but that's not going to help you if it really screws up your body. Since there are people on here claiming accutane gave them diabetes IDK what it might do to you if you already have it.

6 hours ago, BenderFan said:
13 hours ago, Chrissy329 said:

I did. They said they'd call back in a few days; like next week sometime. I didn't take the pill today though.

thasts really irresponsible of them. Insist on speaking to a doctor.

Dubya_B liked
MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/01/2016 5:46 am

definitely stop! wait 1 week and then try again. In my case I had bad stomach pain, major feet skin flaking and ringing in my ears. At that point I gave up which was a year ago. I then picked it up again 1 month ago and while it started off fantastic, I've noticed the boys downstairs are not working properly and feeling a huge loss in libido so once again I've stopped.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/01/2016 5:48 am

2 minutes ago, invisiblenetrix said:

definitely stop! wait 1 week and then try again. In my case I had bad stomach pain, major feet skin flaking and ringing in my ears. At that point I gave up which was a year ago. I then picked it up again 1 month ago and while it started off fantastic, I've noticed the boys downstairs are not working properly and feeling a huge loss in libido so once again I've stopped.

why do it to yourself?!

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/01/2016 5:52 am

I just wanted to give it a chance because I'm sure you and everyone on this board has been through this but there are those days where acne wins and you just can't take it anymore.

But I've stopped now and finally going to rule this out as an option.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/01/2016 8:25 am

2 hours ago, invisiblenetrix said:

I just wanted to give it a chance because I'm sure you and everyone on this board has been through this but there are those days where acne wins and you just can't take it anymore.

Sorry if I came off as harsh, I probably would have considered it too if I hadn't seen the bad effects first hand. There are some fortunate people who have very little side effects but if you do notice serious ones, you're wise to stop. I hope you find a solution.

MemberMember
(@benderfan)

Posted : 07/01/2016 9:32 am

Well, despite the nurse (or maybe receptionist) saying a few days, they decided it was important enough to call this morning instead and said to stop taking it for the holiday weekend and see if it resolves on it's own. If it does, they may try it again but if it doesn't or gets worse then she said I should get to a doctor or hospital fast.

I really wanted it to work though cause I'm getting tired of this acne now. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the cases I've seen on the internet before but it's to the point I'm gonna look for some experimental surgeries if I can't start Accutane again.

3 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

I absolutely would stop taking it. Call your doctor right away and insist to speak to someone, go in person if you can. My boyfriend didn't have any health issues but he said from the very first pill, he felt that it was like taking poison. He kept taking it for a month at only 20 mg and had a suicide attempt.
With your health issues I can't believe your Dr OK taking accutane! No offense but that's not going to help you if it really screws up your body. Since there are people on here claiming accutane gave them diabetes IDK what it might do to you if you already have it.

thasts really irresponsible of them. Insist on speaking to a doctor.

And that's exactly what it felt like since day one. It feels like taking poison. But I've had some (very unneeded) antidepressants in the past that have felt worse.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/01/2016 3:32 pm

5 hours ago, BenderFan said:

Well, despite the nurse (or maybe receptionist) saying a few days, they decided it was important enough to call this morning instead and said to stop taking it for the holiday weekend and see if it resolves on it's own. If it does, they may try it again but if it doesn't or gets worse then she said I should get to a doctor or hospital fast.

I really wanted it to work though cause I'm getting tired of this acne now. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the cases I've seen on the internet before but it's to the point I'm gonna look for some experimental surgeries if I can't start Accutane again.

And that's exactly what it felt like since day one. It feels like taking poison. But I've had some (very unneeded) antidepressants in the past that have felt worse.

Well please be careful. I totally get how much you want to get rid of acne.I'm currently taking antidepressants too because, well its extremely hard to come off them.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/01/2016 5:44 pm

9 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
11 hours ago, invisiblenetrix said:

Sorry if I came off as harsh, I probably would have considered it too if I hadn't seen the bad effects first hand. There are some fortunate people who have very little side effects but if you do notice serious ones, you're wise to stop. I hope you find a solution.

Hey Snarky, I know you mean well. If I was even a fraction suicidal I would not take this drug. I can tell that whoever takes accutane it gears towards how you generally feel. So if you're depressed and sad at that time then it would more than likely enhance it.

I've got a derm appointment this tuesday which was supposed to be for the next batch of accutane. I'll speak to him about other alternatives.

MemberMember
(@benderfan)

Posted : 07/01/2016 9:58 pm

6 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
12 hours ago, BenderFan said:

Well please be careful. I totally get how much you want to get rid of acne.I'm currently taking antidepressants too because, well its extremely hard to come off them.

I know how hard it is to get off those too. I've had doctors make me take antidepressants just for their own benefit even though I didn't want or need them at all. But the depression and suicide were probably the least of my worries from Accutane. Still may start them again in a few days but I did still have the side effects from it today (other than the breathing thing). Even that one day helped my acne a tiny bit I think.

While I'm on a related board anyways, does anyone know if there's a plastic surgery method out there that can totally get rid of acne for long periods of time? i don't care how they do it just want to know if it's out there.

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 07/02/2016 5:24 am

On June 30, 2016 at 2:36 PM, BenderFan said:

Hi, new member. Figured I'm gonna need an account here if I'll be taking Accutane (Myorisan really) for a while. After trying all the other treatments and having them all either hurt or make me sick the dermatologist finally said it's time to try Accutane. As a pharmacy technician I kinda knew the dangers of it as it was up there in importance with alcohol, pseudo, and Warfarin in our trainings. But acne is affecting my life to the point where my baby cousins are asking what the red spots are and I'm 20 but haven't ever dated so I went for the pills.

Before stating the side effects though I should say I'm a relatively inactive (although average weight) 20 year old male with type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent) and I have no idea whether it's the Accutane, diabetic complications, or allergies that's causing this but it hadn't started until last night and today, the day after my first pill, so I'd say probably is since I haven't changed anything else recently.

But starting yesterday, about 45 minutes after taking that pill I had already started getting a stomach ache. Not too uncommon for me. Then later in the night I was breathing normally but felt I wasn't absorbing oxygen like I should have been and had to breath much harder than I normally do to feel like I was getting a real breath. Like I had to remind myself to breath in order to actually breath. And I haven't smoked a cigar since last week. And today I woke up to having about 9 bright red drops of blood in my stool. And I still have a stomach ache from yesterday.

The thing that worries me the most is the fact that I have diabetes so any small thing can get out of control fast as far as risking infections or injuries go.

Anyone taken Accutane before and think these are signs I should stop taking it now? I'm supossed to take another one in 10 minutes but don't know if I even should right now. And I can't really ask my pharmacist cause i work for her so I don't really like going there as a patient.

Yeah. If you are experiencing complications with breathing, you need to stop taking Accutane. There is only one exception where I would advise you to continue(if your doctor OKs it), and that is anxiety. Are you prone to anxiety, or have you ever had an anxiety attack? I have caused my throat to close several times because I was worried about something. It is possible(especially because you have knowledge of medications and their side effects), that you were worrying about an adverse event, and thus, created one. Subconsciously, this could have started after you experienced stomach pains, or before. The mind is very powerful especially if it is experiencing stress. I have epilepsy and if I'm stressed, I will get a seizure. I had a teacher who would get hives before every big test. These are bumps you can see with you eye, caused by a thought in her case. Your mind can and will cause negative PHYSICAL reactions if you let it. Now, I'm not saying you intended to impair your breathing. I'm saying that stress can manifest itself negatively in many different ways. On the flip side, I have the ability to completely block out extreme pain if I focus hard enough. How do you think monks can walk on hot stones? The mind is stronger than most of us realize.

MemberMember
(@benderfan)

Posted : 07/02/2016 12:00 pm

6 hours ago, MonroeQT said:
Yeah. If you are experiencing complications with breathing, you need to stop taking Accutane. There is only one exception where I would advise you to continue(if your doctor OKs it), and that is anxiety. Are you prone to anxiety, or have you ever had an anxiety attack? I have caused my throat to close several times because I was worried about something. It is possible(especially because you have knowledge of medications and their side effects), that you were worrying about an adverse event, and thus, created one. Subconsciously, this could have started after you experienced stomach pains, or before. The mind is very powerful especially if it is experiencing stress. I have epilepsy and if I'm stressed, I will get a seizure. I had a teacher who would get hives before every big test. These are bumps you can see with you eye, caused by a thought in her case. Your mind can and will cause negative PHYSICAL reactions if you let it. Now, I'm not saying you intended to impair your breathing. I'm saying that stress can manifest itself negatively in many different ways. On the flip side, I have the ability to completely block out extreme pain if I focus hard enough. How do you think monks can walk on hot stones? The mind is stronger than most of us realize.

I have had some pretty bad anxiety for a while actually. And I'm supossed to be taking Klonopin for it. I haven't in a few days though.

But with the breathing thing, thinking back to a few days ago I think it might have actually started a few days before taking the Accutane, the Accutane just made it worse for that night.

I was already having some sort of mysterious trouble breathing and getting oxygen but with the Accutane added on, sitting wrong or any physical exertion/extended standing made me kinda winded and my heart was going faster.

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 07/02/2016 8:53 pm

8 hours ago, BenderFan said:
I have had some pretty bad anxiety for a while actually. And I'm supossed to be taking Klonopin for it. I haven't in a few days though.

But with the breathing thing, thinking back to a few days ago I think it might have actually started a few days before taking the Accutane, the Accutane just made it worse for that night.

I was already having some sort of mysterious trouble breathing and getting oxygen but with the Accutane added on, sitting wrong or any physical exertion/extended standing made me kinda winded and my heart was going faster.

Well, with thatmany factors at play it's best you take a break for now. What has your doctor said thus far?

MemberMember
(@benderfan)

Posted : 07/03/2016 2:02 am

5 hours ago, MonroeQT said:
Well, with thatmany factors at play it's best you take a break for now. What has your doctor said thus far?

She never got back to me on it. Apparently they'll decide sometime late this week if they want me to come back in or not for a follow up on it.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 07/03/2016 7:36 am

Hey. I think you made a good call in stopping Accutane. Bloody stools are very concerning. I'm always amazed at the people who come to this site regularly and have never even considered the acne.org regimen. I guess it's because otc typicals are generally crap, but do your research on this one. Hit up some YouTube reviews. It's a lot of work but it works!

I had a lot of success with Accutane and I use the regimen to maintain clarity, although I'm not really needing it these days.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/03/2016 12:05 pm

On 7/1/2016 at 10:58 PM, BenderFan said:
I know how hard it is to get off those too. I've had doctors make me take antidepressants just for their own benefit even though I didn't want or need them at all. But the depression and suicide were probably the least of my worries from Accutane. Still may start them again in a few days but I did still have the side effects from it today (other than the breathing thing). Even that one day helped my acne a tiny bit I think.

While I'm on a related board anyways, does anyone know if there's a plastic surgery method out there that can totally get rid of acne for long periods of time? i don't care how they do it just want to know if it's out there.

I believe some sort of laser or pulsed light therapy helps acne. I can't remember what kind but its probably on this site.