Notifications
Clear all

Low Carb VERY POSITIVE Results

MemberMember
(@icarus77)

Posted : 06/29/2016 5:23 pm

Hey,

Just wanted to check in and add some value now that I've made some personal progress with acne.

Background was I had pretty bad cystic acne since 13, controlled well through the acne.org regimen from 18-22 or so.

I got to 22 and I got sick of having acne and I decided that it must be an external manifestation of something that's going on "wrong" internally. I mean, if you have a bad breakout it literally looks like you are diseased in some way.

I went off the the BP and tried to caveman it, tested a variety of things. I had a HUGE rebound from the BP addiction, but now my skins never been better.

1. No more soap or shampoo of any kind (I only use it on important areas now - pits, groin, butt)
2. Cold water showers

^both of those reduce skin irritation

and finally

3. Very low carb diet

My skin's never been clearer. I break out as soon as I eat any sugar (occasionally I'll have a cheat day. Two- three days later I break out.)
I've been off BP for months.

No longer have to do that shit twice a day, worry about it when I miss a night, on adn on and on. I'm testing adding in fruit and a little white rice to fastrack my digestion a bit -- apparently I'm eating too much fibre, but otherwise I've never looked and felt healthier.

I'm lean as hell (I work out but never been this lean) and I just.. feel good.

Anyway just letting you guys know what's worked for me. I would say I am now most of the time more clear than I was on the regimen (doing it only once a day) with the occasional breakout that lasts only a few days.

MemberMember
(@rblhws)

Posted : 06/29/2016 6:28 pm

That's great. Hope it works for you.

I did the low carb thing and the immediate results were fantastic, but unfortunately short-lived. My skin reverted back to having acne, in some cases worse than before. I racked my brain trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and ultimately it just became exhausting trying to find a dietary cure that may or may not even exist.

Just be careful.

MemberMember
(@icarus77)

Posted : 06/29/2016 10:28 pm

I've just made sure to eat no sugar, grains, rice, beans even, dairy for the most part.

Ate just veggies and different meats

Difference is visible within days when I'm doing it. I'm cautious about adding fruit and a little rice but apparently I have to for my digestive system to speed up a bit (too much fiber and tough to digest food)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/30/2016 9:19 am

10 hours ago, Icarus77 said:

I've just made sure to eat no sugar, grains, rice, beans even, dairy for the most part.

Difference is visible within days when I'm doing it. I'm cautious about adding fruit and a little rice but apparently I have to for my digestive system to speed up a bit (too much fiber and tough to digest food)

can you give examples of your meals? I know the right foods but I have issues putting g meals together.

MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 06/30/2016 11:58 am

Good to hear, how much time did it take for results?

MemberMember
(@purplestove)

Posted : 06/30/2016 12:07 pm

I agree with the low carb results. 4 months ago I started seeing a nutritionist who recommended not eating wheat, dairy, soy, corn, or refined sugar and my skin is much less oily,inflamed and congested. It wasnt an overnight change and I still notice ups and downs depending on exactly what I'm eating and how much, but overall my skin looks much cleaner.

2 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
13 hours ago, Icarus77 said:

can you give examples of your meals? I know the right foods but I have issues putting g meals together.

I know the question wasn't directed at me but here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: Eggs

Snack: Oatmeal ( oats, unsweetened almond milk, flax, hemp, blueberries,vanilla, pure maple syrup)

Lunch: salad (kale, romaine, tomatoes, zucchini, olive oil, Apple cider vinegar, And cooked sweet potatoe chunks on top)

Snack: raspberries, raw nuts

Snack: Green smoothie (kale, blueberries, unsweetened coconut milk, flax, hemp, protein powder)

Dinner: chicken, brussel sprouts, quinoa

Snack: thai coconut

My diet is close to paleo so I look up a lot of paleo dishes online. I'm not sure how low card sweet potatoes or oats are, but without oats at least once every other day I get a little lethargic from the lack of grains.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/30/2016 8:06 pm

Thanks this is what I  wanted. So its good to eat oatmeal, cool. I've actually been washing my face with oatmeal. It feels nice but my boyfriend says I'm gonna clog the pipes :/

MemberMember
(@purplestove)

Posted : 07/01/2016 12:16 pm

16 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

Thanks this is what I  wanted. So its good to eat oatmeal, cool. I've actually been washing my face with oatmeal. It feels nice but my boyfriend says I'm gonna clog the pipes :/

maybe try grinding it into a powder?  Or buy a drain screen and just clean it out when you're done. 

MemberMember
(@icarus77)

Posted : 07/08/2016 5:23 am

On 6/30/2016 at 10:19 AM, snarkygirl said:
On 6/29/2016 at 11:28 PM, Icarus77 said:

That's the one thing and the reason I made some small changes: it's so hard for me (as a guy that wants to put on weight and be pretty built)
to eat enough on a low carb diet.

I was eating tons of meat and veggies. Two meals a day, about a pound of meat with each and a full plate of veggies. Lots of avocado too.

One meal I'd chop up tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, grill up 3 burger patties, throw in some avocado and kale and mix it all together.

The next I'd have some fish and salad, if I had a third it would be like.. half a chicken, carrots and green beans.

Lots of water.

What I'm doing now is adding in a small bowl of fruit a day and some long grain rice (both low GL, not much of each, no gluten still)

On 6/30/2016 at 0:58 PM, Coce99 said:

Good to hear, how much time did it take for results?

It was pretty fast for me. When I'm dilligent about it, the change is clear and drastic within a week or two. I go from the pretty bad acne I have when not doing this to basically no acne at all (maybe 1 pimple). Like I said, I was comfortably off any sort of skin treatment for months and now (read a bit further) I'm finding myself reaching for the bp.

For clarity about what I mean,
right now I happened to stop doing this for about a week because I ended up with some digestive issues and I thought i twas the diet (now I think it was that I had a cheat day and got drunk a few times on high carb booze.. = lots of gas b& bloating)

I ate my hearts content of bread, sugar, rice, pound cake even. So good. Then I waited.

It's been about 5 days, I now have 2 cystic pimples on the right side of my upper forehead (the ones where they take weeks to go away)
1 big one and two smaller ones on my cheek, one under the skin on my left cheek, a few on my chin under my lips and a few new ones popping up on my forehead and in that spot between your eyebrows.

Oh and another deep cystic one on the corner of my jaw, and a few under my beard. The change is pretty drastic. I'm starting to think I might be allergic to something.

I'm back to "don't want to go out in public" acne when weeks ago I was at "basically completely clear".

I'll update in a week or two with how things go with my slight fruit adjustment.