Notifications
Clear all

dental health

MemberMember
(@dorcawhale)

Posted : 06/26/2016 9:10 pm

I hope to goodness that I'm not jinxing myself here, but if this could help even one person then I want to get this out there. It's long, but hear me out.

l have had mild to moderate acne for the most part of my adult life. Specifically, I was breaking out all of March and April (2016) nonstop, one after another, big, deep, cystic spots. And also normal whiteheads.

What stumped me was that I have always had a strict regimen of washing, toning and medicating (finacea) along with twice daily antibiotics. When I went crying to my dermatologist about a horrid breakout, she prescribed aczone to my daily regimen (to be used in the morning and finacea at night).

Well, with all of this focus on my skin and acne, I neglected my oral hygiene, brushing half-assed once a day. When I noticed some disgusting stains on my teeth, I knew it was time to sick up my fear of the dentist and get a cleaning done. After my cleaning, my dentist told me I had SEVEN cavities, one of them possibly needing a root canal. I was floored. I felt disgusting, my skin and teeth were raging war against me. I wanted to hide in a hole and never come out.

It turns out that the tooth that might have needed a root canal didn't need one after all (just a big honker of a cavity) and it was filled. Within days my skin cleared and it has been WEEKS since my last serious breakout. I've had small ones here and there but a dab of the aczone at night and it's barely there in the morning.

It's also worth mentioning that I've taken on a strict oral hygiene regimen as well, bushing with an electric toothbrush, flossing and rinsing with mouthwash.

I believe that there is some correlation between oral (and general internal) hygiene and acne. So if you think that you have tried it all to no avail, it might be worth paying a visit to your dentist.

Good luck out there everyone.

love,
Sam

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/01/2016 3:38 pm

Hi, I think there's definitely a connection between a lot of inflammatory conditions like acne, allergies, migraines, ADD and maybe tooth issues. I'm glad to hear you're doing better and thanks for reminding me, I need to see a dentist!

MemberMember
(@jabberwocky80)

Posted : 07/28/2016 11:01 pm

I've often wondered about this myself. There were times when I'd get an ulcer in my mouth I get a zit somewhere around my cheek/chin area...generally within distance of the ulcer. Like Snarkygirl said, I think there's a connection between inflammatory conditions within the body and acne breakouts.

MemberMember
(@kavencare)

Posted : 01/12/2021 12:15 am

Endocarditis is inflammation of your heart's inner lining, called the endocardium. It's usually caused by bacteria. When the inflammation is caused by infection, the condition is called infective endocarditis. Endocarditis is uncommon in people with healthy hearts.