Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible for me to be prescribed accutane??

MemberMember
(@stina123)

Posted : 06/25/2016 10:38 pm

I got really bad acne starting in March because of a bipolar medication (pretty positive). I had some before that around my period but never that bad. Then it just blew up....I would get recurring little red bumps around my temples and clogged pores, blackheads, red bumps on my cheeks. Sometimes it would even look rashy? I've tried otc products, clindamycin, duac, benzoyl peroxide, salycilic acid, diet changes, drinking plenty of water, minocycline, etc. I was prescribed tretinoin but heard it can make your face even oilier, which is dumb because it's supposed to fix that. I tried it and got nervous so stopped. My face gets extremely oily lately and I can't figure out the culprit. I can see each pore of my nose with a bead of oil 1 minute after washing my face. I do not like my dermatologist because she rushes me out of there and doesn't look at the root cause of my acne or even try to. I go to a new Derm on Thursday but will be seeing a PA. I've never had cystic acne, but have been getting acne where I never have before like my eyebrows, under my eyes closer to my nose, my nose...it could be hormones, something wrong with my digestive system (in fact I know that's not working correctly). I'm really tired of trying things that might not work. I know everything about accutane and am willing to take it. I guess I wouldn't tell the dermatologist about my bipolar...is it at all possible that I could get it? Also, my acne has been MUCH worse than what the pictures show. These are very recent and some are of my acne getting better. It fluctuates like crazy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@lizziegirlinwi)

Posted : 06/26/2016 12:04 am

If you go to a Derm you need to tell them that you are bipolar and any medication you are on...I have really bad anxiety and depression next month I am starting accutane, my Derm knows about my depression, you just have to report any changes in your mood, im afraid of taking it a little I don't want to worsen my depression/anxiety, but if I feel different when taking this I'll call my doctor

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 06/26/2016 1:11 am

I wouldn't hide the bipolar info from your derm. It's better to keep them in the loop. If they reject you for the accutane go find another.

Your skin in that state is perfect btw. You're absolutely gorgeous in the last photo!
Don't forget a lot of ppl go through an initial breakout on accutane and if I was you, I would hate to ruin the state ur skin is in right now. Maybe keep track of what you're eating and stress level when you next breakout to find the trigger?

Also have you tried birth control pills? My sister had bad acne as a teenager and once she jumped on BC her acne disappeared over night.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/26/2016 11:40 am

I honestly would not suggest you try to get accutane, firstly because of your depression issues but mostly because your skin is mild acne. Seriously, take birth control, use duac or retinols, heck change your diet. Accutane is meant for disfiguring acne...acne so bad it may be worth having horrible side effects from the med. My boyfriend took 1 month of it and attempted suicide so I'm really not a fan. Try everything your skin looks like it would respond well to topicals.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 06/26/2016 2:15 pm

I somewhat disagree with the above user, being that accutane isn't just meant for disfiguring acne but also 'resistant acne' whether that be mild or moderate or severe. My acne is definitely not severe but it is extremely persistent and resistant. However I've had this for 15 years now and it's been good and bad during that time but always there and I am willing now to take accutane.

The thing is your skin is NOT bad. I'd truly love your skin and I know how hard it is to accept and believe it when people say that, but trust me in this. I know why you'd want to consider accutane and you have every right to consider it but I honestly don't think you need it. Personally I would stick with a retinoid, perhaps Differin because it is the mildest retinoid, and possibly some form of birth control to help your hormones. And give those two things at least 12 weeks and if still nothing then go back to the idea of accutane.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/26/2016 4:04 pm

1 hour ago, MissSac17 said:

I somewhat disagree with the above user, being that accutane isn't just meant for disfiguring acne but also 'resistant acne' whether that be mild or moderate or severe. My acne is definitely not severe but it is extremely persistent and resistant. However I've had this for 15 years now and it's been good and bad during that time but always there and I am willing now to take accutane.

The thing is your skin is NOT bad. I'd truly love your skin and I know how hard it is to accept and believe it when people say that, but trust me in this. I know why you'd want to consider accutane and you have every right to consider it but I honestly don't think you need it. Personally I would stick with a retinoid,  perhaps Differin  because it is the mildest retinoid, and possibly some form of birth control to help your hormones. And give those two things at least 12 weeks and if still nothing then go back to the idea of accutane. 

I think if she does want accutane a very low dose like 10 mg would be a better option...do you think?t. But she seems to have great skin :)

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 06/27/2016 8:43 am

16 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
I think if she does want accutane a very low dose like 10 mg would be a better option...do you think?t. But she seems to have great skin :)

Yes I'd agree with that. Of course accutane is weight dependant and works through a cumulative dose so with a smaller dose like 10mg she may have to be on it longer. So depending on  weight here and if she can tolerate the side effects perhaps even 30mg for 6 or 7 months could be good.

MemberMember
(@theyellowsubmarine)

Posted : 06/27/2016 9:29 am

hi, by looking at your pictures id say you might not need accutane, especially considering its effects on other medicinal issues. However given its persistent nature and the ability it has to make you self conscience i would recommend asking a dermatologist since accutane is known for its amazing results. I am in a similar situation as you, i have mild acne which atm doesn't look terrible , however i have large pores and always have blackheads/whiteheads on my face. I have gotten plenty of pimples along my jawline and chin recently which have almost cleared- but that might be an IB from my isotrex gel. My acne is very persistent as I've had for roughly 8 years and my skin is very prone to pimples and seems quite oily. if i stay out all night or exert myself e.g. gym my skin gets really oily lots of whiteheads appear. because of this I've got dermatologist appointment in a months time since no other treatments have really worked. Has anyone taken accutane for mild/persistent acne? if so, how bad was the breakout and how long did it last? my appointment is just over a month before starting uni and i really hope i get accutane and my IB clears up (if i get one) before starting, thanks

MemberMember
(@de-rerum-natura)

Posted : 06/27/2016 10:30 am

with this kind of acne i simple doubt that any professional will prescribe you accutane, you shouldnt take accutane.
dont change the risk of longterm damage for just cure this light acne that isnt even noticiable, your skin is very good and a good routine and light peels should take care of your breakouts.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/27/2016 7:46 pm

9 hours ago, De Rerum Natura said:

with this kind of acne i simple doubt that any professional will prescribe you accutane, you shouldnt take accutane.
dont change the risk of longterm damage for just cure this light acne that isnt even noticiable, your skin is very good and a good routine and light peels should take care of your breakouts.

i like your alien nativity...it would have sent Brother Warren from 10th grade up the wall ;)

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 06/27/2016 8:45 pm

Your acne looks pretty mild, so it probably wouldn't be the first course of action a derm would put you on.

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 07/02/2016 6:18 am

On June 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Stina123 said:

I got really bad acne starting in March because of a bipolar medication (pretty positive). I had some before that around my period but never that bad. Then it just blew up....I would get recurring little red bumps around my temples and clogged pores, blackheads, red bumps on my cheeks. Sometimes it would even look rashy? I've tried otc products, clindamycin, duac, benzoyl peroxide, salycilic acid, diet changes, drinking plenty of water, minocycline, etc. I was prescribed tretinoin but heard it can make your face even oilier, which is dumb because it's supposed to fix that. I tried it and got nervous so stopped. My face gets extremely oily lately and I can't figure out the culprit. I can see each pore of my nose with a bead of oil 1 minute after washing my face. I do not like my dermatologist because she rushes me out of there and doesn't look at the root cause of my acne or even try to. I go to a new Derm on Thursday but will be seeing a PA. I've never had cystic acne, but have been getting acne where I never have before like my eyebrows, under my eyes closer to my nose, my nose...it could be hormones, something wrong with my digestive system (in fact I know that's not working correctly). I'm really tired of trying things that might not work. I know everything about accutane and am willing to take it. I guess I wouldn't tell the dermatologist about my bipolar...is it at all possible that I could get it? Also, my acne has been MUCH worse than what the pictures show. These are very recent and some are of my acne getting better. It fluctuates like crazy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok first of all, you need to tell your derm you are bipolar. If you're already on medication for it, then you should be fine if they think you're a good candidate for Accutane. Secondly, how old are you? Have you tried EVERYTHING else? Accutane should be the LAST resort. Your acne is very mild, and I would hate for you to acquire a permanent side effect from Accutane when there might be other options out there for you. Considering that your acne is very mild, you have a good chance of getting clear with another method. My acne was beyond terrible, and I had to go on Accutane twice. I exhausted all other options available to me at the time, and it truly was my last resort. I'm thankful that Accutane was able to clear my skin for the short term, but I do have permanent side effects now. I have IBS, chronically itchy and dry skin, and dry eyes now as a result. Definitely see your derm, but try to discuss other options first before you go down this path. 

MemberMember
(@anonymous12321)

Posted : 07/06/2016 12:43 am

You must disclose to your Dermatologist that you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. If your Dermatologists deems your acne severe enough to warrant Isotretinoin, they will work with your psychiatrist to ensure that your symptoms do not worsen during the course of your treatment.

MemberMember
(@quickstrike)

Posted : 07/08/2016 1:25 am

I went on accutane 2 years ago with my skin looking around the same, you don't need to have really bad acne to go on accutane some derms wont prescribe it if its super mild, but if you tell them you want it they will give it to you. If you have tried most things and nothing seems to work for your skin and if you want really clear skin, just go on accutane its not as scary as people make it seem. hundreds of thousand of people get this medication prescribed to them every year. My biggest mistake was not taking this medication sooner, two year later and my skin has cleared up. there is no overnight cure, but with time this medication will blow your mind. Try the medication and after the first month if you feel like the side affect are too much then talk to your derm, my only side affect were dry lips and dry mouth/skin. the crazy side affects you hear are pretty uncommon. People hype the side affects up too much for accutane, yes some people don't react well with it but with whatever medicine you take you might not react well if you want a lasting affect that will change your skin try accutane in 3 months you will be so happy you did.

You could also try some doxycyline if you want short term affects.... but if you want something that will change your skin forever try accutane.

Also my derm asked me how much does acne really bothers me he told me if you want some moderate result we can prescribe you antibotic or retin a cream, or if you want a long term result that will transform your skin then accutane is the way to go. So you really have to find out how much acne really bothers you if its something you can deal with and doesn't affect your life too much then go with antibiotic/cream but if its something you just cannot stand then take accutane.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/08/2016 2:43 pm

13 hours ago, quickstrike said:

I went on accutane 2 years ago with my skin looking around the same, you don't need to have really bad acne to go on accutane some derms wont prescribe it if its super mild, but if you tell them you want it they will give it to you. If you have tried most things and nothing seems to work for your skin and if you want really clear skin, just go on accutane its not as scary as people make it seem. hundreds of thousand of people get this medication prescribed to them every year. My biggest mistake was not taking this medication sooner, two year later and my skin has cleared up. there is no overnight cure, but with time this medication will blow your mind. Try the medication and after the first month if you feel like the side affect are too much then talk to your derm, my only side affect were dry lips and dry mouth/skin. the crazy side affects you hear are pretty uncommon. People hype the side affects up too much for accutane, yes some people don't react well with it but with whatever medicine you take you might not react well if you want a lasting affect that will change your skin try accutane in 3 months you will be so happy you did.

You could also try some doxycyline if you want short term affects.... but if you want something that will change your skin forever try accutane.

Also my derm asked me how much does acne really bothers me he told me if you want some moderate result we can prescribe you antibotic or retin a cream, or if you want a long term result that will transform your skin then accutane is the way to go. So you really have to find out how much acne really bothers you if its something you can deal with and doesn't affect your life too much then go with antibiotic/cream but if its something you just cannot stand then take accutane.

accutane is not ssarily a permanent cure. If the underlying causes like inflammation or hormone imbalance are not fixed, acne often comes back. I'm glad accutane worked for you but I think accutane would be an unessecary risk for her.

MemberMember
(@quickstrike)

Posted : 07/08/2016 5:40 pm

2 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
16 hours ago, quickstrike said:

accutane is not ssarily a permanent cure. If the underlying causes like inflammation or hormone imbalance are not fixed, acne often comes back. I'm glad accutane worked for you but I think accutane would be an unessecary risk for her.

I agree with you, find the underlying cause before you decide