Benzoyl Peroxide Bu...

Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Burnt My Skin

MemberMember
(@shedance)

Posted : 06/24/2016 5:03 pm

Hey guys, I have a serious issue here. It's mostly my fault but I just need to know how I can fix it. I've been on the regimen for two months and I still using the same amount of benzoyl peroxide and moisturizer as I was when I first started. When I started to notice this, I instantly changed the dosage to a finger length. I did this for a about a week, and my skin had changed. I normally have oil skin but my skin became so DRY and FLAKY. I never experienced something like this. I had discoloration on my forehead but now it seems that it's on my cheeks too. And like the discoloration isn't one whole blob, it's sort of broken up that it looks burnt. Like cheetah skin.I stopped the regimen and I'm letting skin recover for a few days before restarting again. How can I get rid of the burnt effect? What caused this? Should I continue with the benzoyl peroxide? Now I'm just washing my face with water and moisturizer with coconut oil and Shea butter.
I have black skin btw. And when I pick at it it, it comes out as flakes. Do I just need to exfoliate using the Aha?

Member Customer Service
(@acne-org-support)

Posted : 06/25/2016 3:29 pm

22 hours ago, Shedance said:

Hey guys, I have a serious issue here. It's mostly my fault but I just need to know how I can fix it. I've been on the regimen for two months and I still using the same amount of benzoyl peroxide and moisturizer as I was when I first started. When I started to notice this, I instantly changed the dosage to a finger length. I did this for a about a week, and my skin had changed. I normally have oil skin but my skin became so DRY and FLAKY. I never experienced something like this. I had discoloration on my forehead but now it seems that it's on my cheeks too. And like the discoloration isn't one whole blob, it's sort of broken up that it looks burnt. Like cheetah skin.I stopped the regimen and I'm letting skin recover for a few days before restarting again. How can I get rid of the burnt effect? What caused this? Should I continue with the benzoyl peroxide? Now I'm just washing my face with water and moisturizer with coconut oil and Shea butter.
I have black skin btw. And when I pick at it it, it comes out as flakes. Do I just need to exfoliate using the Aha?

Hi Shedance,

Sounds like you used too much of the Acne.org Treatment too soon. Since you have been using a pea sized amount of the Acne.org Treatment previously, your skin has not yet adjusted to a higher dose of the Acne.org Treatment so we always advise people to start SLOWLY when increasing the amount of the Acne.org Treatment.

We would advise that you use a lower dose of of the Acne.org Treatment and gradually ramp up the volume over the next 2-3 weeks until your skin can tolerate the full amount of the Acne.org Treatment.

Make sure that you are using 2 full pumps of the Acne.org Moisturizer twice a day or as often as needed. You may also add in 5-6 drops of the Acne.org Certified Organic Jojoba Oil for additional moisture.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

MemberMember
(@eden99)

Posted : 06/26/2016 8:13 am

I have EXACTLY the same issue!!
and I don't know what to do.. I'm scared it's gonna scar
I stopped applying BP to the burnt area and applied something to help calm the burn ...
but today i applied BP (less amount than usual) and it was fine but the burning effect is still there..
please tell me if you find a way to treat this!

MemberMember
(@adonas)

Posted : 06/26/2016 11:25 am

I experienced this exact same thing when I first started using BP. I used too much and ended up chemically burning my entire face which made me look flaky, dry and very very red all over. I applied Vaseline over the burned areas for 2-3 days and all the dry, red skin peeled off on its own leaving behind a normal looking layer of skin. Although Vaseline may be pretty greasy and feel unpleasant on your face it's actually non-comedogenic so it will not clog your pores (Source: http://www.vaseline.co.uk/faq.html ) and I highly recommend it for healing any dryness/redness.Don't worry, your skin will eventually heal and probably look even better than it did before :).

As for the rest of the BP, try to allow your skin to heal over a few days (maybe even weeks if necessary) and slowly increase the amount of BP you put on your face starting with a VERY small amount. Don't let 1 bad experience with BP scare you away as it's such a great product and has done wonders for my acne but remember SLOWLY increase the amount of BP you use and everything should be fine.