Notifications
Clear all

Please give suggestions! Pics

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/22/2016 11:52 am

I started breaking out worse about a week ago, got these inflamed, filled cysts on my jawline and lower cheeks. Does this look like its hormonal or from food? Sorry for bad quality of pics, old phone.
Would topicals help at all?!

IMG_20160622_124553.jpg

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/23/2016 4:43 am

16 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

I started breaking out worse about a week ago, got these inflamed, filled cysts on my jawline and lower cheeks. Does this look like its hormonal or from food? Sorry for bad quality of pics, old phone.

I can't see any pics, love.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/23/2016 12:15 pm

Oops something went wrong will have to fix.

OK! I've figured out how to post a pic. Currently these are getting better but...why?

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 06/24/2016 9:08 am

Your acne breakup is around the jawline area so it's very possibly caused by hormonal issue (acne itself is pretty much an hormonal issue anyway). But of course your diet may also play a part in contributing to the inflammation. Topical treatments don't work very well on cysts typically but from my experience continuous use of benzoyl peroxide or BHA or differin can help prevent or diminish them. I also find my cysts to go down quickly with I exercise and sweat more. Also I like to ice my cysts to reduce the redness and swelling. There are many rave reviews about the aspirin mask that you can DIY at home, and it seems to be good for cystic acne too so you may wanna check it out as well. Finally not an advertisement, but there is this famous anti-cyst treatment from Renee Rouleai which I've been wanting to try out for a while. It claims to be the only topical treatment that can actually go deep under the skin as to treat cysts. But it's quite overpriced and I'm not sure if it's worth the hype! Good luck girl

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 06/25/2016 12:57 am

Acne is basically a hormonal problem, so until you don't solve this, your acne will not go away.I think the best thing you can do is to see a dermatologist and ask for a skin regimen that will actually work for you. I knowit's frustrating to read that and we want an online solution, but I can speak for myself. My acne issue only resolved when I went to see a doctor -- you can try a lot of products, ask people here on the forums, but only a professional will know what to do, really!

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/25/2016 9:45 am

8 hours ago, katsc said:

Acne is basically a hormonal problem, so until you don't solve this, your acne will not go away.I think the best thing you can do is to see a dermatologist and ask for a skin regimen that will actually work for you. I knowit's frustrating to read that and we want an online solution, but I can speak for myself. My acne issue only resolved when I went to see a doctor -- you can try a lot of products, ask people here on the forums, but only a professional will know what to do, really!

Good luck!

Im taking yaz and Spiro but it hasn't been more than 2 months yet. I just got duac and I'm taking turmeric. Its much better today.
I think in the future I'll ask to be on 100mg of Spiro instead of 50mg but I don't mind starting out slow.

On 6/24/2016 at 10:08 AM, Jennifer Cheung said:

Your acne breakup is around the jawline area so it's very possibly caused by hormonal issue (acne itself is pretty much an hormonal issue anyway). But of course your diet may also play a part in contributing to the inflammation. Topical treatments don't work very well on cysts typically but from my experience continuous use of benzoyl peroxide or BHA or differin can help prevent or diminish them. I also find my cysts to go down quickly with I exercise and sweat more. Also I like to ice my cysts to reduce the redness and swelling. There are many rave reviews about the aspirin mask that you can DIY at home, and it seems to be good for cystic acne too so you may wanna check it out as well. Finally not an advertisement, but there is this famous anti-cyst treatment from Renee Rouleai which I've been wanting to try out for a while. It claims to be the only topical treatment that can actually go deep under the skin as to treat cysts. But it's quite overpriced and I'm not sure if it's worth the hype! Good luck girl

thanks! I just did aspirin mask plus turmeric and they are much better.

katsc liked
MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 06/25/2016 10:12 am

Yaz is a great birth control! However, if your acne is not improving after 3-4 months, try to switch to Yasmin, since it has more estrogen (I don't think uping the dose of spiro will work in this case). Yasmin really did the trick for me! Sometimes our body needs more estrogen rather than more anti-androgens.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/25/2016 10:14 am

Just now, katsc said:

Yaz is a great birth control! However, if your acne is not improving after 3-4 months, try to switch to Yasmin, since it has more estrogen (I don't think uping the dose of spiro will work in this case). Yasmin really did the trick for me! Sometimes our body needs more estrogen rather than more anti-androgens.

thanks. I do either have PCOS or post tubal ligation syndrome. I suspect my estrogen is low because I had pre menopausal symptoms...at 30. Bleh.lol.

katsc liked
MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 06/25/2016 10:22 am

I'm on the same boat! I have PCOS and my testosterone levels were so high, that my doctor told me I could be a teenager boy, lol.

Have you ever used Retin-A? It's the best topical treatment for acne in my opinion. That and benzoyl peroxide, as Jennifer pointed out.Might help you control your cysts until the bc kicks in.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/25/2016 10:23 am

I haven't. Is it prescription or OTC?

1 minute ago, katsc said:

I'm on the same boat! I have PCOS and my testosterone levels were so high, that my doctor told me I could be a teenager boy, lol.

Have you ever used Retin-A? It's the best topical treatment for acne in my opinion. That and benzoyl peroxide, as Jennifer pointed out.Might help you control your cysts until the bc kicks in.

Oh don't you love the way doctors word things? I had a doctor dismiss my suggestion of PCOS because, quote, " you don't look like a hairy circus fat lady".
Real professional!

katsc liked
MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 06/25/2016 10:54 am

Here in my country you can find Retin-A on drugstores without the need of a prescription. I'm currently on my 4th month using this product and have to say my face is so much better now. I'm using the 0.025 formula and in the beginning it was a little difficult the handle all the peeling and dry face, but it's worth in the end. If you have any question about the product, feel free to ask me. :) 

Lol, doctors are the most adorable people in this world!! Such charming creatures.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/25/2016 11:10 am

I agree starting low dose is the way to go.
what could try are you in? I'm in the US. I'd love to know what product you use and the details, that would be great :)

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 06/25/2016 8:48 pm

10 hours ago, katsc said:

That is me!!! I'm on Yaz for 5 months now and I'm still not clearing up. It's definitely better but still a lot of room for improvement. I did consider switching to Yasmin but I'm so afraid that more estrogen is going to exasperate my anxiety issue!! Also I totally dread the 7-day period. The reason why I picked Yaz in the first place was because of the extra short period.

10 hours ago, katsc said:

Does differin count as topical Retin A also? I used to apply differin daily back then when I was still seeing my dermatologist and it worked really well. I'm actually considering switching from my daily BHA gel to the differin gel now

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/25/2016 9:52 pm

1 hour ago, Jennifer Cheung said:
That is me!!! I'm on Yaz for 5 months now and I'm still not clearing up. It's definitely better but still a lot of room for improvement. I did consider switching to Yasmin but I'm so afraid that more estrogen is going to exasperate my anxiety issue!! Also I totally dread the 7-day period. The reason why I picked Yaz in the first place was because of the extra short period. Does differin count as topical Retin A also? I used to apply differin daily back then when I was still seeing my dermatologist and it worked really well. I'm actually considering switching from my daily BHA gel to the differin gel now

Hey you know you can skip the placebo pills. Ask your doctor, my doctor says it's perfectly safe. No period!

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 06/26/2016 8:48 pm

22 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
23 hours ago, Jennifer Cheung said:
That is me!!! I'm on Yaz for 5 months now and I'm still not clearing up. It's definitely better but still a lot of room for improvement. I did consider switching to Yasmin but I'm so afraid that more estrogen is going to exasperate my anxiety issue!! Also I totally dread the 7-day period. The reason why I picked Yaz in the first place was because of the extra short period. Does differin count as topical Retin A also? I used to apply differin daily back then when I was still seeing my dermatologist and it worked really well. I'm actually considering switching from my daily BHA gel to the differin gel now

Hey you know you can skip the placebo pills. Ask your doctor, my doctor says it's perfectly safe. No period!

NEVER TRY TO SKIP THE PLACEBO PILLS. The first time I was on Marvelon, my skin was okay and didn't flare up, until I read websites that said it's perfectly fine to skip periods on birth control, so I skipped the placebo pills. What happened after that was two weeks of non stop bleeding and cystic acne all over my cheeks. The experience was horrifying. Not taking the pills can cause serious break through bleeding. Messing up the mentrual cycle is such a bad idea. Don't mean to offend you but I don't understand how people can say that it's okay while in fact it's really risky.

MemberMember
(@kari1987)

Posted : 06/28/2016 1:52 am

On 6/22/2016 at 10:52 AM, snarkygirl said:

IMG_20160622_124553.jpg

Hormonal.