Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AverageADIII

19 M 30mg/day week by week progress (pics)

Recommended Posts

I've been suffering from moderate acne since I was 13 and I don't think I've ever not had acne since then. I tried everything, natural remedies, topical, multiple rounds of antibiotics. My skin would get better for a few weeks and the treatment would suddenly stop working. I'm just exhausted and tired of endlessly following everyday rituals of washing my face with fancy face washes and applying a tonne of chemicals and still not seeing any results. I went to my derm for what I thought would be yet another round of antibiotics, he prescribed some pills for 2 weeks and told me to come back so that he could prescribe more medication for the next four months. Only after returning home and examining the pills did I realise that it was Isotretinoin , he didn't give me any info about it at all (thats India for you), but he probably only put me on it after seeing everything else fail. He put me on some antibiotics as well presumably to avoid an IB. I called him up coz I was concerned about the dangers of accutane but he said not to worry since its a pretty low dose.

Day 1:

Did not notice any changes, except I have a mild stomach upset- probably from the antibiotics. My derm asked me to stop  using BP 

Day 2:

Stomach problems continue, nothing too serious though. I also have a huge cyst on my chin but it was already developing before I started the course. I re started the BP because i have not noticed any drying as of now so I don't think it will adversely affect me, Im also seeing a lot of new whiteheads become prominent, although they had started to develop before I initiated the treatment, so nothing unusual.

Day 3:

My gastrointestinal function has normalised, and I do not feel any discomfort in my abdominal area any more. When I saw my face in the morning it looked worse off than when I started, I don't know if this is the initial breakout since my face normally fluctuates between bad and really bad all the time.  Aside from that I'm not seeing any of the possible side effects.

Day 4: 

Still no sign of any major improvement, although I've noticed that any whitehead i pop resolves itself quickly and doesn't leave behind redness or swelling. Don't know if this is just confirmation bias or an actual effect of the accutane or the antibiotics. When I woke up today my lips were drier than usual. I think the BP is helping a little to control my breakout, so I will continue using it. I still don't know if this is the the initial breakout since i was in the midst of a breakout when i started, if it is, its not as bad as some of the really bad breakouts I've had, manageable with a good amount of BP, if not, I hope I'm one of the lucky people who don't have an IB.

Im sorry for the bad english, since english is my 3rd language :)

edit: pics
I know it doesn't look bad enough to warrant accutane, but my derm felt it was necessary since i was beginning to get permanent scars and because I had been suffering from it for more than 5 years. 

20160622_171533.jpg

20160622_171521.jpg

20160622_171551.jpg

Edited by AverageADIII
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey man, good luck on starting your course! Your skin looks pretty good already man, I'm sure Accutane will completely clear you up! Day 20-30 are the days I saw changes in my skin, so you are getting pretty close to seeing some serious change! I wish you the best and I will surely check your log!

p.s. your English is great, pretty damn impressive you can speak 3 languages 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 23 June 2016 at 10:04 PM, Diamond98 said:

Hey man, good luck on starting your course! Your skin looks pretty good already man, I'm sure Accutane will completely clear you up! Day 20-30 are the days I saw changes in my skin, so you are getting pretty close to seeing some serious change! I wish you the best and I will surely check your log!

p.s. your English is great, pretty damn impressive you can speak 3 languages 

Thanks Diamond98!  its day 9 and I'm already seeing improvement. My mom however read the information leaflet that comes with the pills and now she's trying to get me to stop taking them after reading about the side effects. The only side effects I've had till now are  moderately dry lips and face. However, her anxiety is rubbing off on me now, have you had any worrying or serious side effects? Im gonna talk to my derm about this, he literally didn't even tell me what he was prescribing and told me not to "over analyse stuff" when I called him up. Edited by AverageADIII
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a tough question. I was anti accutane thinking I will grow out it since I was 15. I'm now 31. I'm close to 30 days on accutane and I've seen improvements. Wish I started it sooner is all I can say.

Having said that I still believe it should be a last resort drug. The side effects are real so make sure ur derm is keeping a close watch on you. If I was you I will continue unless it starts becoming unbearable. So far I only have dry lips and my face feels dry all the time so I'm pushing on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

End of week 2

I have moderately dry lips, I've discontinued the BP as of now. saw some initial bumps but they resolved quickly, i thought I wasn't seeing any improvement but then I saw the pics of my cheeks from back when I started the treatment, and I see some slight improvement, I haven't had any new pimples pop up for two days, can't remember the last time that happened. My scars have become red though, so my acne still seems bad, but definitelyno bumps. I'm also on some antibiotics for a cold that I have so maybe that might have something to do with my face improving or maybe its the accutane, don't know for sure.

Interestingly, even though my lips are dry, my face has become a lot more oily, initially it became a little dry and I saw some skin peeling off, but now I don't even need to moisturise my face. 


20160702_212329.jpg20160702_212257.jpg

can definitely see some solid progress, unfortunately, i missed my appointment with the derm, and I'm going off to college tomorrow to a different city, although getting accutane to continue my treatment without a prescription is not too difficult in India, i still need to consult him about my dosage and he needs to see my progress to ascertain that. I'll call him up tomorrow and ask if it is okay to continue taking the meds till I return in august or if i should stop taking them and resume treatment when I come back, He had asked me to send pictures so that he could take a call in case I can'tmeet him before going to college, so ill do that too
 

Edited by AverageADIII
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2016 at 6:31 AM, AverageADIII said:

 

Thanks Diamond98!  its day 9 and I'm already seeing improvement. My mom however read the information leaflet that comes with the pills and now she's trying to get me to stop taking them after reading about the side effects. The only side effects I've had till now are  moderately dry lips and face. However, her anxiety is rubbing off on me now, have you had any worrying or serious side effects? Im gonna talk to my derm about this, he literally didn't even tell me what he was prescribing and told me not to "over analyse stuff" when I called him up.
Sorry for the delay man, was on vacation. Honestly, the only side effect for me so far has been dry lips. If you notice anything, just stop taking the pills right away. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My derm suddenly changed his mind and said that he is not comfortable treating me through the phone while I'm at college, and he told me to come to the clinic for further treatment and seemed pretty angry when I had called him (even though he was the one who had suggested it) and hung up before i could ask any further questions :/ . This is just so sad, I was seeing some great improvement, for the first time I could eat the things I love without worrying about breakouts, go through my day without worrying about my face and wasting time on my face routine ( wash twice a day and apply BP etc ;repeat)

I'll have to cease treatment, because I cannot go to the clinic 1000 Kms away regularly for treatment, and my college is in a small town so theres no option of continuing it here. I do have all the pills I need, and getting more wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure if I want to self medicate.

Damn, this is, and I don't mean to go on a hyperbole, but this is heartbreaking, and anyone who's had acne for the last 5-6 years will understand why, this was the first time that I went so long without having a breakout. Maybe, Ill find a new derm when i go back in August, and then restart, but until then I'll have to start dealing with this again. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, so my derm is really moody, and I talked to him again when he had calmed down, he told me to continue isotretinoin, he said he mistook me for someone else lol. (He's really good a
t what he does, but he seems a little crazy)
so yeah, I'm back on isotretinoin for now at a dosage of 30 mg/day.

I had decide to post pics every two weeks but I'm seeing drastic changes every week now, so i'll update this post soon with some pictures. I just have to say that I'm so happy and relieved that don't have to go off this medicine.

Edited by AverageADIII
Link to comment
Share on other sites

End of week 4

Sorry about the late update, been busy with college.

So about 3 days ago my derm put me on 100 mg of minocycline ( I had a talk to him about this, he said i shouldn't be worried because I'm on a low dose) I'll have to continue taking it for a month.

Currently, My only side effects are extremely dry lips (they're dry to the point that its become slightly painful) and some intermittent joint pain in my ankle region. I've also noticed that my whole body has been slightly itchier.

My face has never gone so long without being full of pimples and painful bumps, currently its clearer than it has been for a long time, i had some acne on my upper back, which is clearing up too. Yesterday i went to bed without washing my face, it was a symbolic victory of sorts. 
The scaring is still visible, and the redness hasn't gone away, but I'm thrilled.


20160716_160122.jpg20160716_160225.jpg

sorry about the hair, i had just shaved lol.

  Edited by AverageADIII
added more details
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AverageADIII said:
End of week 4

Sorry about the late update, been busy with college.

So about 3 days ago my derm put me on 100 mg of minocycline ( I had a talk to him about this, he said i shouldn't be worried because I'm on a low dose) I'll have to continue taking it for a month.

Currently, My only side effects are extremely dry lips (they're dry to the point that its become slightly painful) and some intermittent joint pain in my ankle region. I've also noticed that my whole body has been slightly itchier.

My face has never gone so long without being full of pimples and painful bumps, currently its clearer than it has been for a long time, i had some acne on my upper back, which is clearing up too. Yesterday i went to bed without washing my face, it was a symbolic victory of sorts. 
The scaring is still visible, and the redness hasn't gone away, but I'm thrilled.


20160716_160122.jpg20160716_160225.jpg

sorry about the hair, i had just shaved lol.

 
He has you on minocyclin while taking accutane? That seems extremely strange, most derms say not to take any other acne medication while on accutane. But, I cannot argue with a dermatologist they are the ones who went to school for this stuff.

On a side not your face is looking extremely good, amazing progress for just 1month. My derm says that the accutane makes the redness more visible, and once off it that will most likely disappear.

for your dry lips make sure to have a lipbalm, apply this any time you notice the lips starting to feel dry or uncomfortable. And at night something I use is Aquaphor. I apply a good amount before bed, and my lips have been much better. For the ichyness i'd sugges you apply mostirizer everywhere, its not just your face that gets dry but your whole body is getting dry and so its smart to apply it everywhere.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, savo0057 said:
He has you on minocyclin while taking accutane? That seems extremely strange, most derms say not to take any other acne medication while on accutane. But, I cannot argue with a dermatologist they are the ones who went to school for this stuff.

On a side not your face is looking extremely good, amazing progress for just 1month. My derm says that the accutane makes the redness more visible, and once off it that will most likely disappear.

for your dry lips make sure to have a lipbalm, apply this any time you notice the lips starting to feel dry or uncomfortable. And at night something I use is Aquaphor. I apply a good amount before bed, and my lips have been much better. For the ichyness i'd sugges you apply mostirizer everywhere, its not just your face that gets dry but your whole body is getting dry and so its smart to apply it everywhere.
 Yeah I was worried about that since the information leaflet that comes with the pills explicitly mentioned that the combination should be avoided, However, A lot of terms do prescribe them together on low doses, it might also be that different countries follow different procedures. I am watching out for any adverse symptoms, and will stop immediately if I notice any.

Thanks for the tips about itchiness, it worked, The Humidity has been really high since the monsoon arrived, thats been helping too. Aquaphor isn't easily available here, i'll ask my derm to suggest something when I see him next. I think the reason why my face got better so quickly is because the acne wasn't that bad to begin with, I've been lurking around here and some of the Pics I've seen show  accutane being prescribed for really severe acne, My doc said that I won't have to go for the full 120mg/kg dose and my treatment will be stopped much earlier. Edited by AverageADIII
details
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I'm witnessing my first worrying side effect, i'm typing this at 7:00 am, no I did not wake up early, I couldn't sleep! yep, Insomnia. I know for sure that this is because of accutane, in my entire life I have never had trouble sleeping, ever. Atleast not to the point where I go the entire night without sleeping! which is why this is worrying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

week 6

I've been seeing great results, haven't had whiteheads in weeks. However I do see bumps sometimes,  they're not painful, not red, I'm not sure what kind of acne it is. But they're ok, they resolve within a day or two without me popping them. My skin looks great, just a bit dry! Dryness in my lips is gone though, thanks to the moisturiser I'm using. My skin looks a bit red, the derm said the redness will go away gradually.

I've decided to go off Accutane and Minocycline for a while, because I'm having some serious side effects (Due to some irresponsible actions on my part (read: drinking)) I've had trouble swallowing/painful swallowing for the past one week, kind of like sore throat, but it just won't go away. I've been having persistent headaches and intermittent impaired vision (These may have been caused by Pseudo tumour cerebri), swollen lymph nodes, especially in my underarms. Most of the symptoms disappeared gradually after halting Minocycline (about a week ago), however the painful swallowing persists(although decreasing in Intensity). All of these symptoms showed up the day after I got sloshed, which was extremely stupid and risky on my part. 

I will be resuming my tablets on the 11th of August, till then I'm taking a break.

 

 

20160802_232115.jpg

20160802_232239.jpg

Edited by AverageADIII
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Week 10

Ok so its been about 3 weeks since i gout back onto Accutane and Minocycline, however my dosages have been decreased to 20 mg Accutane (previously 30 mg) and 65 mg Minocycline (Previously 100 mg), because my derm thought I didn't need such high doses as my treatment was going really well.

I have noticed slight increase in acne, now I get about one white head in a week, which is still much much less than what i was suffering from just 3 months ago, so thats great. My skin looks great! The side effects I had have decreased since my dose was lowered, I still have moderately dry lips, and occasional pain in my ankles. Apart from that I'm not seeing any side effects. My skin is great, but i think its condition has plateaued , I don't notice any changes over the last few pics, then again, the acne is gone, so I don't know what changes I'm expecting. 

The scarring is still present, doesn't seem to get better, although I've stopped getting new scars thanks to accutane. I did get off accutane for a week after a 40 day course. Subsequently, I had a small breakout, although it went away quickly after i resumed, it worries me that this might just be temporary, and the acne might come back after I'm off accutane.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the acne on my back which was still there uphill  2 weeks ago is now gone.

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-08 at 1.28.47 AM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-09-08 at 1.28.47 AM.jpeg

Edited by AverageADIII
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×