Notifications
Clear all

Is it okay to use Vaseline as a moisturizer after applying Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@nilooomilooo)

Posted : 06/21/2016 6:48 am

Many websites recommend using a moisturizer after bp. As I don't currently own a particular face moisturizer, is it okay to use Vaseline instead?
After researching online, I found out that It doesn't clog pores or anything as I have suspected. But I am still hesitating a bit.

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 06/21/2016 12:02 pm

you couldnt pay me money to put that on my face. its not actually a moisturizer, here is a quote:
"Petroleum jelly can create the illusion of moisturized, hydrated skin, all the while suffocating your pores. Its water-repellant and not water-soluble, meaning it merely seals the barrier so that moisture does not leave the skin. So while you might feel the instant gratification of a softened surface, youre actually drying out your pores by keeping out air and moisture."

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 06/21/2016 10:52 pm

its old news, all you have to do is google it. all it is is petroleum jelly which is a byproduct from oil rigs. since its water repellent it makes a much better butt cream for babies. in this day and age we have much better things to put on our face that literally moisturize.
http://learningandyearning.com/7-alternatives-to-petroleum-jelly-for-taking-care-of-your-skin
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/21/vaseline-petroleum-jelly_n_4136226.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2475871/Is-favorite-skin-remedy-BAD-How-petroleum-jelly-suffocate-pores-aggravate-acne-cause-pneumonia.html
https://intothegloss.com/2015/07/is-vaseline-good-for-your-face/

[Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 06/22/2016 3:15 pm

Vaseline in an occlusive, it locks in moisture so it's best to use it after a moisturiser generally but not really to replace one.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 06/22/2016 3:32 pm

I agree with Miss Sac. I wouldn't use Vaseline to replace using a moisturizer, since there are better choices out there. Vaseline while it is noncomedogenic has a greasy, heavy feel which isn't very nice, and will leave you looking very oily. Over the top of your moisturizer might be a better way to use it, for extra hydration to lock in moisture if your skin is very dry from the BP treatment (not a bad idea actually!). But with so many great choices out there, I'm sure you'll find something more practical.

Personally, Vaseline was a lifesaver for me when I was 2 weeks into BP treatment and was lobster red, dry, and very, very uncomfortable! I'd slother my face with Vaseline at night and sleep with a towel on my pillow, and after a few days, my skin started looking and feeling normal again! But it was greasy and felt gross on my skin so I wouldn't want to use it everyday!

MissSac17 liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/22/2016 3:47 pm

No way that's a terrible idea.

MemberMember
(@kari1987)

Posted : 06/28/2016 1:37 am

Vaseline works great at removing my eye makeup, but I tried putting it on my face once and I had a horrible Breakout. Not to say that it doesn't work for some people, but I wouldn't recommend it.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/28/2016 5:36 am

People with very dry skin not prone to acne. Marilyn Monroe used it.

MemberMember
(@srht)

Posted : 11/30/2017 1:51 am

On 6/21/2016 at 6:02 PM, hopeless87 said:

you couldnt pay me money to put that on my face. its not actually a moisturizer, here is a quote:
"Petroleum jelly can create the illusion of moisturized, hydrated skin, all the while suffocating your pores. Its water-repellant and not water-soluble, meaning it merely seals the barrier so that moisture does not leave the skin. So while you might feel the instant gratification of a softened surface, youre actually drying out your pores by keeping out air and moisture."

• Does Vaseline Jelly Help Acne?

Although Vaseline Petroleum Jelly doesnt directly treat acne, its protective formula means it could help your skin recover faster from a breakout.After cleansing thoroughly (but not too aggressively), apply Vaseline Jelly to form a protective barrier on the surface of your skin this can help to prevent germs from re-infecting pores. Vaseline Jelly can also keep the skin moisturized, accelerating its natural cycle of regeneration (where dead cells slough off and new and fresh skin cells rise to the surface). By protecting your skin and keeping bacteria out, petroleum jelly can help to speed up recovery and improve the overall appearance of the skin.